Portugal PhotoJournal - An Average(?) Player's Perspective

8 cities is NOT tall.

Reformation beliefs often don't provide much if you unlock them early. But you should always spread to your own cities before saving faith to enhance.

8 cities is NOT tall.

Reformation beliefs often don't provide much if you unlock them early. But you should always spread to your own cities before saving faith to enhance.
What is tall then? You want at least 6-7 cities. Wide would be like 12+ cities. In your first expansion phase should regardless of playstyle at least 5 cities. After renaissance depending on playstyle then the rest, especially if you go for extra monopolies. But it probably depends on map type. I haven't played with other than communitas and could always expand enough. From the pictures it looks like there isnt too much room to expand.

Last edited:
What is tall then? You want at least 6-7 cities. Wide would be like 12+ cities. In your first expansion phase should regardless of playstyle at least 5 cities. After renaissance depending on playstyle then the rest, especially if you go for extra monopolies. But it probably depends on map type. I haven't played with other than communitas and could always expand enough. From the pictures it looks like there isnt too much room to expand.
This was a Tiny map, so there was not a ton of room. But also, by the time my 8th city was down, I more or less forgot about settling more cities. I don't know when it becomes worth it to stop using settlers and to wait for pioneers, though I have used pioneers here and there when needed once I have them. However, usually by the time pioneers have been research I have forgotten about settling any new cities altogether.

Tall is just the capital + enough cities to secure the monopoly and surrounding land so nobody can forward settle. Usually 5 is enough.

Top Bottom