When you buy a set of say six drinking glasses the primary purpose it entertaining. Sure, most of the time you use them them may just be within your household, but you do not care about them matching then. The time you care about them looking good is when you are serving drinks to up to six people who have come round to visit. In such situations when all the glasses look the same "whose drink is that" almost always becomes an issue at some point. Glasses that look different are objectively functionally superior in such situations. I therefore hate matching sets of glasses, and the fact that almost all such sets are matching indicates such hate is rare.
That's why you use red solo cups with names drawn on them with Sharpies.

But no, I agree. Even though the majority of my drinking glasses do have the same appearance. Still, if I have a small crowd over, I'll make an effort to take the non-matching ones out even if they're farther back to reduce the amount of confusion.
when hanging out with friends or even in a restaurant or cafe, everyone is sittin' around just focused on their phones
You are not the only one! If we're hanging out together, aren't we here to... hang out?

At least in my circle, I think this is less bad than it was 8-10 years ago when my friends were newer to smartphones, and I was annoyed enough by other people doing that before I had a smartphone that I'm pretty good about not being that person. But I will comment on it. If I'm with three friends at a restaurant and the conversation has a pause and people migrate to their phones, I'll ask, "what's going on online?" to try to restart the conversation, and usually it pivots back to in-person conversation.

Which is another annoyance - the phone being used as a brain extension. Your inability to answer my question does not usually mean I'd like you to use your phone to answer my question. We wouldn't have done that with encyclopedias in the 80s. At least not as a default. The conversation flows more naturally without that interruption.

I'm very much in the camp of, if you're going to spend time with people, spend time with people. It's okay to pull out a phone to check the hours on the restaurant you're considering going to or make a note to follow up on something later, but I didn't want to hang out with your Galaxy S12.
Even worse, why does a restaurant or bar? I go to dinner or drinks to speak to people. If I can’t hear the person next to me, literally what is the point. Why does anyone find this enjoyable?
I think there's a threshold here. At low to moderate volumes, I don't necessarily mind it. When I can't hear the person next to me, yeah, that's a problem. That will have an impact on my desire to stay there as well, be that later in the same evening or in the future.

Red solo cups are exceedingly efficient. I forget what the fancy/bouge solution is. Are there like little colored glass stir-sticks that can go in each drinking glass, or like a set of little holiday-themed tchotchkes that hang on the side? A little complication and flair?

Maybe putting the drinks down and caring if you're having the wrong one is solved by a) not putting them down and b) drinking more? ;)

Last edited:
My pet peeve is background noise, particularly the unnecessary kind.

So less an issue with traffic, or people, but it drives me insane the amount of piped music (some of it super loud) that exists in almost any public location.

Why does a shop need to have music?
Even worse, why does a restaurant or bar? I go to dinner or drinks to speak to people. If I can’t hear the person next to me, literally what is the point. Why does anyone find this enjoyable?
I went to a restaurante the other day, it was empty and quiet. Upon arrival the staff turned on loud music :|

Probably have their volume set for a full house?

Red solo cups are exceedingly efficient. I forget what the fancy/bouge solution is. Are there like little colored glass stir-sticks that can go in each drinking glass, or like a little holiday-themed decoration that hangs on the side? A little complication and flair?

Maybe putting the drinks down and caring if you're having the wrong one is solved by a) not putting them down and b) drinking more? ;)
I am not quite sure it fits Marx's definition of bourgeoisie but I really like to drink out of glass/ceramic rather than plastic/metal. There are ways round it, sure, but the point is it shoudl not be necessary. Every company that makes glasses must make at least 6 different types. I am not saying they should not sell packs of all the same, but why packs that are all different are so rare is odd to me.

It is a fairly mild hate, as I can solve it by getting my glasses from the charity (thrift over the pond?) shop, and then I can mix and match to my hearts delight. Buying second hand is more environmentally and pocket friendly anyway.

My pet peeve is background noise, particularly the unnecessary kind.

So less an issue with traffic, or people, but it drives me insane the amount of piped music (some of it super loud) that exists in almost any public location.

Why does a shop need to have music?
Oh gawd yes this so much...

I am not quite sure it fits Marx's definition of bourgeoisie but I really like to drink out of glass/ceramic rather than plastic/metal. There are ways round it, sure, but the point is it shoudl not be necessary. Every company that makes glasses must make at least 6 different types. I am not saying they should not sell packs of all the same, but why packs that are all different are so rare is odd to me.

It is a fairly mild hate, as I can solve it by getting my glasses from the charity (thrift over the pond?) shop, and then I can mix and match to my hearts delight. Buying second hand is more environmentally and pocket friendly anyway.
I do like thrift shops. I know some people don't like to wear dead man's pants, but the nicest coat I've ever gotten was secondhand like that. Only leather one I'll likely ever own(absolutely wonderful in Midwest winter wind). Trying to make it outlast me! :lol:

Hehehe.

I forget what the fancy/bouge solution is. Are there . . . a set of little holiday-themed tchotchkes that hang on the side?
Yes. There are. I was going to post this very thing. Little "bracelets," call them, each with a different pendant, and you string them around the stem or your wine glass and they dangle near the base. I'm bouge enough to have seen them, but not to have purchased them.

your wine glass
That is another of my hates, I wonder how rare it is.

We invent a vessel for drinking stuff that makes you clumsy when you drink it, at least half of which is really really staining when spilt. The features we give that vessel are being really top heavy so it falls over easily and being really fragile so when it does fall over you get broken glass as well as staining liquid. The primary advantage it has is to optimise the visual analysis of the glycerol content and other compositional metrics. The advantage this gives one when you can just drink it and see if it tastes nice I have never figured out.

I prefer a ceramic coffee mug for most drinks. Well insulated, so cold drinks stay cold longer. Generally one of the most stable and robust of the ceramic designs. Available very cheaply, in a wide range of sizes and dimensions with very varied designs. If you really care about visual inspection of your drink you can do a reasonable job with a plain white mug.

Don't forget that when you inevitably lacerate yourself on the glass, you've also been consuming blood thinner.

I guess by bouge I just mean a little fancy for fancy sake.

The place I used to eat at had their house wine sensibly priced at ¥99 a glass. Staying on topic but getting a little off my meds:

Am I the only one who hates that rich people don’t have top hats and monocles anymore?

C’mon man, though I suppose I don’t actually want it to happen though since they’re all tech jerks and not steel magnates or railroad tycoons. I’d rather have a railroad than an app that hails unlicensed cabs.

We invent a vessel for drinking stuff that makes you clumsy when you drink it, at least half of which is really really staining when spilt. The features we give that vessel are being really top heavy so it falls over easily and being really fragile so when it does fall over you get broken glass as well as staining liquid. The primary advantage it has is to optimise the visual analysis of the glycerol content and other compositional metrics. The advantage this gives one when you can just drink it and see if it tastes nice I have never figured out.
But that vessel was invented centuries ago. The target audience was likely not clumsy peasants, but refined aristocrats and wealthy merchants. In the days before carpeting, with rugs that could be removed from areas of likely spillage.

As times evolved and the audience spread, to make them more affordable, they also went from crystal to glass, making them more fragile than they would have been centuries ago. I haven't tested whether a crystal wine glass is likely to survive being tipped over, but I have to imagine they'd stand a better chance than my thin IKEA wine glasses.

As for why they're still dominant... probably as a status symbol. The connoisseurs who claim they can tell the difference enough that it's worth not ordering the cheapest red on the menu will tell you it's about temperature and aroma and taste as well, but I think for most people it's about the status and presentation, even with the risk of staining.
Am I the only one who hates that rich people don’t have top hats and monocles anymore?
:lol: I wouldn't say I hate it, particularly monocles, but I wouldn't mind seeing hats come back in style. They keep you warm, they look nice, why aren't they popular?

But I agree, even better if we get hats and the railroad.

I'm with @Valka D'Ur . I don't like mounting TV's on the wall because I'm worried, they will fall. Also, once you mount a TV, you can't move it to a different location. Plus you have to tear up your wall mounting all the hardware and installing the wiring behind the wall (which you have to do, unless you want an unsightly mess of hanging cords and wires under the TV, snaking down the wall.

I don't like mounting TV's on the wall because I'm worried, they will fall.
This I do not get. I have attached things much heavier and more important than TVs to walls with rawlplugs and I would be more confident of a TV staying in place if it is bolted to the wall than it is on some furniture that could be knocked over in a similar way to a wine glass.

That is another of my hates, I wonder how rare it is.

I prefer a ceramic coffee mug for most drinks. Well insulated, so cold drinks stay cold longer. Generally one of the most stable and robust of the ceramic designs. Available very cheaply, in a wide range of sizes and dimensions with very varied designs. If you really care about visual inspection of your drink you can do a reasonable job with a plain white mug.
I think alot of it is the aesthetics... they look pretty/fancy... like high heel shoes/pumps. They aren't practical or comfortable, but they look really nice, so they remain popular.

Top Bottom