[GS] Amenities

Zagorath86

Chieftain
I am always in trouble mid game even early game with ameneties not having enough of them.. i get being at war over longer period will generate warwearines that will decrece amenities. i am wondering about peoples strategies when it comes to ameneties...how do i keep it in the plus...building districts i know can increase...but i am finding myself alway in short no matter what..

Expand a lot. Hopefully you get a few luxuries along the way.

I generally don't have amenity problems unless I'm at war for an extended period of time. Like ezzlar said, expanding helps you grab more luxuries. Building a entertainment district + arena in a central city, then building the Coliseum will also help immensely. Becoming suzerain of certain city states can provide amenities. Zanzibar is particularly good. If you have a religion, some beliefs can provide amenities. The AI rarely takes Stupas for example. Policy cards can provide amenities. There is a natural wonder that provides amenities (the name escapes me at the moment). Some civs have bonuses to amenities, like Scotland and Golf Courses.

Even if your have deeply negative amenities it still isn't a huge problem. I've had -5 amenities in cities for a long time and the only negative effect was a percentage based decrease in yields.

If you find this is crimping your fun, then my recommendation is grow fewer people. You probably don't need them, and if you do need/want them, wait until you have the amenities to support them.

If you avoid working Food tiles you can (a) put your people to work on other, more productive tiles, (b) avoid needing to worry about housing, and (c) avoid needing to worry about investing in amenities.

Everything you need is available from districts, buildings, and trade routes, none of which require population to work them. A 4 Pop city works just fine, and you can move up to 7 or 10 Pop as you have the amenities in place to support the larger size.

If you do choose to grow your cities as big as you can, just be aware that by doing so, you've increased the difficulty level for yourself. Which can be fun as a challenge. The above suggestion is predicated on if you find the challenge is not fun.

Adding to what Canuck said: try to not grow cities too big before researching Natural History. It gives access to zoo's and water park (aquarium has a range of nine tiles). Place them well and you should be able to keep your people happy.

I trade luxuries with the AI to the point that my cities stay ecstatic and happy most of the time, and I don't have to build Entertainment Complexes or Waterparks until very late or at all, except that single one early, if I remember to build the Colosseum. And I don't worry about controlling city growth, usually I let them grow as far as they can.

So Coliseum or Zanzibar is great, you do not need both but either sorts out the majority of issue as stated by @BenitoChavez
Growth beyond 10 is the other as @Trav'ling Canuck says but there is one other thing....
but i am finding myself alway in short no matter what.
I am not sure what short means, a red icon just means you are -5 to -10% no big deal unless having loyalty issues (then it is)... war weariness has a subtle effect. A city will only get as much WW unhappiness as it needs amenities.

So Coliseum or Zanzibar is great, you do not need both but either sorts out the majority of issue as stated by @BenitoChavez
Growth beyond 10 is the other as @Trav'ling Canuck says but there is one other thing....

I am not sure what short means, a red icon just means you are -5 to -10% no big deal unless having loyalty issues (then it is)... war weariness has a subtle effect. A city will only get as much WW unhappiness as it needs amenities.

i just mean that i build districts and wonders but i am allways -1 or -2 in amenities. i just tought that as soon as you get the red icon its bad and you need to fix it fast... if its no big deal when its just -1 or -2 then i am not gonna stress about it....but that may well just be my OCD:) i hate that little red icon :)

ut that may well just be my OCD:) i hate that little red icon :)
The housing one is less important and is also red, housing should certainly be a warning as you will always get them. The difference between -3 and +3 is 20% so amenities do mean something at least but thats about it.

Top Bottom