An act of sheer....

Hitro said:
OMG. I knew he was a very hard player, but most of these fouls aren't hard tackles. They are just kicks to the body of the opponent! :eek:

King Alexander said:
I just don't think anyone should be made to hear things about his family: that's cheap shots, very cheap.
It's cheap, but words don't reward a physically violent response. And most certainly not in that situation. That's idiocy and that rewards punishment. MORE than any word.

Hitro said:
It's cheap, but words don't reward a physically violent response. And most certainly not in that situation. That's idiocy and that rewards punishment. MORE than any word.

Besides, everyone knows that insults word wars take place on the pitch at every single minute, whether in regional amateur leagues or World Cup finals. Any player, especially star players hear it more than anything else during their entire careers from opponents, particularly defenders, so whatever was said, has been said thousands of times before to thousands of players, and it doesn't justify the action. It just has no rational explanation possibe.

MCdread said:
Besides, everyone knows that insults word wars take place on the pitch at every single minute, whether in regional amateur leagues or World Cup finals. Any player, especially star players hear it more than anything else during their entire careers from opponents, particularly defenders, so whatever was said, has been said thousands of times before to thousands of players, and it doesn't justify the action. It just has no rational explanation possibe.
Well said.

I heard in the radio that some lipreaders have analyzed the scene and according to them Materazzi said to Zidane twice something along the lines "Your sister is a prostitute".

kronic said:
I heard in the radio that some lipreaders have analyzed the scene and according to them Matarazzi said to Zidane twice something along the lines "Your sister is a prostitute".

Yes, Globo, the biggest brazilian media network, has a section where conversations and words on the field are reconstructed. I'm surfing through their site now, bu apparently it can't be seen outside Brazil, and I read that this particular conversation wasn't reconstructed, only what Buffon told Zidane when he was sent off, but indeed they say that it is what was said. If that's the case, I thought it would be much worse. :eek:

No matter what Zidane was told, he should be old and professionnal enough to control himself, especially after 110 minutes in a WC final.
There is no excuse.

"Your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elderberries."

MCdread said:

I could not have said it better my self. It is the same in all sports. You talk thrash to your opponents to try and get them off their game. Zindane should have either A.) Made a comment back (Question his sexuallity, call his mother a whore, etc...) B.) be the bigger man, and ignore it.

Rik Meleet said:
:mad:

I reject this word. Zidane is far too good to be remembered for only this.
I love you Rik. :) Anyway, this attempt to create a new word won't stand the test of time, as it is just a reaction to very recent events.

Ask any guy in the world, what a "zidanity" could be, and I bet you most of them will answer it's one of his magic tricks with a ball.

MCdread said:
Or maybe what Materazzi said throughout the match was absolutely unbearable ? Doesn't justify the action, but can explain it. This Materazzi is starting to encompass a bit of why I hate Italian football in general.

I heard somewhere(I think it was the Guardian) that lipreaders thought he said "dirty terrorist" or something to that extent.

I've heard about 5 differant things that lip readers supposedly read, including "dirty terrorist", "your mothers a whore", "your sisters a whore", and a couple others.

Zapp Brannigan said:
I've heard about 5 differant things that lip readers supposedly read, including "dirty terrorist", "your mothers a whore", "your sisters a whore", and a couple others.
At first I thought he only said 2 or 3 words, strong enough to provoke that reaction, but then I saw he made a whole speech while Zidane was replacing himself on the field. So Materazzi probably ended up saying all of those. :nuke:

hmm, i guess we will never know what materazi said to him. but what really bothers me is why didnt give zizou him a proper, a real headbut? i mean, was this headbutt supposed to break his chest, or what? a nice cracker on materazis nose would at least have an effect, but that thing? it just seems more and more silly... :mischief:

C~G said:
The words don't matter. They cannot hurt you.

If I would have headbutted everyone that says such things to me I would probably be spending rest of my days inside prison walls.

a) words can hurt, a lot. while they may not cause physical pain, they can cau a lot of emotional pain if used fo rthat purpose

b) Materazzi should consider himself lucky he took a headbutt to the chest rather than a fist to the face if he said what has been reported to have said (even though he denies it)

c) targetting the mother and sister of a player is extremely low

d) people will now intentionally provoke people to react more often now

e) i would type up another thing but im too lazy.

Sledging - as it is known on the cricket field - has gone on for years. And I've heard a lot worse than what is reported to have been said. The Aussies are the real masters.

it's funny how people that dive get slammed, whereas someone that headbutts gets excused for in great lengths. A bit scewed views here, isn't it? Whatever someone said during a game, Zidane has heard that so many times throughout his career.
Also, he isn't exactly known as a peace loving person. Do you guys remember him hitting the back of a player in '02 and gettig sent off for that.
Also, the Spiegel magazine wrote that when he was young, he had a real bad temper and got many a red card. I don't know whether that is true though.

Top Bottom