An extended tech tree

WildWeazel

Carthago Creanda Est
Not a real project. Just something fun to think about.

I got to thinking about how to take the game a bit further into the future, with a longer 4th or hypothetical 5th era. It got a bit out of hand as you'll see with about 100 techs, listed here in vaguely chronological order beginning with late WWII.

Aside from a longer game this provides a few interesting concepts. First, the space race victory is spread out and pushed back, with more techs involved for a longer-term project. Second, there's more time to enjoy the features of modern units and buildings before reaching an inevitable endgame. Third, there's a phase of "going green" where it would be interesting to obsolete and replace a bunch of earlier improvements, causing the economy to lag temporarily while you push through to the really advanced stuff. This might give other civs a chance to catch up while the tech leader makes the transition to sustainable growth. And finally, lots of cool speculative tech to play with.

There's plenty of redundancy here, so many of these could probably be combined or removed, or converted to wonders. I've overlaid two themes in the later techs: space colonization, and post-humanist "ascension" as commonly found in sci-fi. Either could provide the path to science victory. I also thought of the latter replacing diplomatic victory and the UN, but it doesn't quite fit the model of making everyone love you.

Anyway, here's the brain dump.

Spoiler :

W: wonder
SW: small wonder
SS: space ship part

Relativity (W Einstein's lab)
Total war (bomber)
Naval doctrine (carrier)
Radar (civil defense)
Rocketry (SAM, ICBM)
Jet propulsion (interceptor)
Atomic theory (SW nuclear weapons program)
Nuclear power (nuclear plant, nuclear sub)
Particle physics (particle accelerator)
Mass media
Telecommunications (broadcast station)
Radio astronomy (W SETI)
Spaceflight (SW space program, ICBM)
Satellites (reveal map, cruise missile)
Astrophysics
Globalization
Mass transit (public transit)
Ecology (recycling center)
Computers
Supercomputing
Networking (W internet)
Digital media
Lasers
Electronics
Astronomic interferometry (SS planet hunting misson)
Composite materials (modern armor)
Stealth (stealth bomber)
Climatology
Renewable energy (solar plant)
Electric vehicles
Magnetic levitation
Sustainability
Arcology (SW arcology)
Big data
Blockchain
Mass scale computing
Civic technology
Virtual democracy (peace govt)
Technocracy (war govt)
Universal rights
Superconductor
Railguns (advanced artillery, advanced destroyer)
Cloaking (invisible units)
Graphene (W space elevator)
Solar sail (SS starshot survey)
Fuel cells
Artificial intelligence
Robotics
Autonomous drones (UAV)
Automation
Reusable rockets
Post-scarcity economics
3D printing
Ubiquitous computing
Quantum computing
Holography
Cultured meat
Genetic engineering
Bioinformatics
Carbon scrubbing (air filtration plant)
Environmental restoration
De-extinction
Artificial uterus
Personalized medicine
Organ printing
Longevity
Nanotechnology
Programmable matter
Swarm robotics
Mind-machine interface
Genetic data storage
Biopolymers
Organic composites
Graphene (W space elevator)
Powered exoskeleton (power armor)
Cybernetics
Androids (robotic manufacturing, android infantry)
Transhumanism
Digital consciousness
Nuclear fusion (fusion plant)
Fusion rocketry (SS propulsion module)
Unified theory
Forcefields (SS shielding)
Artificial gravity
Closed ecosystems (SS ecosystem)
Space habitation (SS habitat module)
Deep space exploration (SS navigation system)
Off-world colonies (SS colonization module)
Geoengineering (W climate stabilization)
Terraforming (SS terraforming module)
Ion drive
Plasma weapons (plasma tank)
Asteroid mining
Orbital construction (SS shipyard)
Wireless power (wonder: orbital solar array)
Technological singularity

WildWeazel... Interesting, that would be Great for Longer Games with the added possibility of Civs being able to "Regroup" to better positions and I would especially like having more time to enjoy the Late Techs in Game.

there are a couple of mods with very dense tech trees. There is a limit to how many you can fit in an era - the tech boxes on the tree in the science screen are a fixed size.

Just speculating - you might be able to cram even more techs in if you made the boxes invisible. I haven't tried it & don't know if anyone else has.

Just speculating - you might be able to cram even more techs in if you made the boxes invisible. I haven't tried it & don't know if anyone else has.

By accident this was partly done in the later eras of the Balancer Reloaded techtree. It is no solution as the content of the techboxes still is visible.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Balancer Reloaded.jpg
    Balancer Reloaded.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 571
This is a screenshot I took years ago and I have no idea what mod it is or who did it, but this person crammed a lot on their tech screen!
tech.jpg

The image Takeo posted is a good example to explain what i meant about invisible boxes. The frames/background for each tech are in a pcx file.* Make all of that the invisible color (magenta in a standard pcx). This allows placing the techs closer together without completely losing visual separation. Then the arrows connecting the techs can be placed in the area that would normally be covered by the individual tech frames/backgrounds.
Spoiler :

When remembering well, the original images of Steph´s techtrees were unfortunately lost, but I made some screenshots of them long ago:

Era 1:

Era 2:

Era 3:

Era 4:

Top Bottom