Analysis - The Beauty of Humankind's Expansion and Exploitation System

I know this wasn't the point of OP's thread but what is that "+9 production" bit when placing the harbor? Where the hell is that coming from? certainly not from adjacent tiles? I was deeply confused by the difference between the small number showing the increase in X (the thing in the little upside down triangle), and then the giant +X text that takes up the tile (the +9 production from placing the harbor).

That's an interface bug, IIRC.

Also keep in mind that territories attached to cities cause the borders between their regions to disappear, so it allows you to exploit across the border line! I like that this means that if the border itself ever turns out to be lush territory, I will want to have both sides of the border be part of the same city, which is basically simulating the city actually growing up around the lush border in the first place.

Also keep in mind that territories attached to cities cause the borders between their regions to disappear, so it allows you to exploit across the border line! I like that this means that if the border itself ever turns out to be lush territory, I will want to have both sides of the border be part of the same city, which is basically simulating the city actually growing up around the lush border in the first place.

On the flip side, unproductive tiles along a territorial border may make them more likely to become international borders, as neither side has as much of an incentive to want to claim ownership of the tiles just across the line.

Although the territorial borders themselves are an artificial mechanic, it would be neat if the cross-border exploitation option help leads to more natural empire borders.

On the flip side, unproductive tiles along a territorial border may make them more likely to become international borders, as neither side has as much of an incentive to want to claim ownership of the tiles just across the line.

Although the territorial borders themselves are an artificial mechanic, it would be neat if the cross-border exploitation option help leads to more natural empire borders.

Right, exactly. I saw people complaining about how the borders didn't "make sense" and I think they make a lot of sense! Geography is complicated, and how it affects urbanization even moreso. The system overall will lead to organic urbanization via use of the terrain, so the territory system flows nicely even when it might start out geographically arbitrary.

Besides, the whole concept of continents is arbitrary, and many country borders are somewhat arbitrary as well.

Can regions be detached from a city? For example by a conquering force?

By the way, I live in a city that is right at the border, our suburbs are in three different countries. The reasoning behind this is medieval inheritance law, but it just shows that quarters right at the center of a region might not be the most optimal gameplay, but they do exist in the real world. I'm okay with them, I'll probably put the first quarters "inside", but if the border is the best last place left a few quarters later to put a science quarter, then so be it.

Can regions be detached from a city? For example by a conquering force?

I think not, only outposts. If a territory is part of a city it "disappears" as a separate entity, becoming part of the city territory.

Catoninetales had this to say on the subject of detaching territories:

Yes, cities can be merged later in the game. And while I don't think you can "unattach" a territory, as far as I recall they can be swapped between cities, but it's been a long time since I tried that so it may not be accurate anymore. I'll double-check that later today if I have some time.

Top Bottom