Ancient SPs Resource Breakdown (table inside)

Ninakoru

A deity on Emperor
Hi buddies,

My nature request me to try to apply math into everything, so I tried to make a resource breakdown of what you get from every ancient policy.

The rate used is standard 1 to 10, being 1 too situational/little practical use and 10 outstanding bonus regarding that resource. On my ranking I'm trying to count the benefit of early acquisition as well as long term benefit.

I'm not counting witch resource is more important on the game (to me, growth is the most important with enough happiness support), and the benefits from synergies with current metagame and other benefits in same or other social policies.

Sure is far from accurate, I feel liberty is a bit better than the total points suggests, and piety is a bit better than honor on the table, but I think is interesting so see witch resources each policy branch gives and some numbers to try to measure it.

The funny thing is that I knew liberty was production-oriented, but on the table is THE productive tree without contest. And then tradition earns the great ingeneer faith purchase... what a bad joke!!

Attachments

• resource_breakdown.gif
    resource_breakdown.gif
    39.2 KB · Views: 859
Well the actual numbers of course are based solely on your preferences. For me for example the 6 production points for the Honor bonus to EXP buildings would be a straight 0.
And you completely dismissed great bonuses for Tradition concerning Production: Having more tiles available to work & having more food/growth/pop to actually work tiles. Rating these two at mere 9 and whoops: Tradition is > Liberty in that regard (too).

Sorry, but I just couldn't let someone say Liberty is better than Tradition for something - because it is not :p

Well the actual numbers of course are based solely on your preferences.

Yeah, basically. I try to be objective, but at the end is my point of view.

For me for example the 6 production points for the Honor bonus to EXP buildings would be a straight 0.

Well, IMO the production bonus for exp buildings does nothing on the short term, but during the game you will end building up to military academy in many cities, and that is a nice hammer saving.

And you completely dismissed great bonuses for Tradition concerning Production: Having more tiles available to work & having more food/growth/pop to actually work tiles. Rating these two at mere 9 and whoops: Tradition is > Liberty in that regard (too).

Yeah, for example more growth imply more production and such, but I tried to focus on each resource gain instead of mixing.

Sorry, but I just couldn't let someone say Liberty is better than Tradition for something - because it is not :p

And I'm not going to do so. IMO the gap is not so big between liberty and tradition, being able to get good spots and your four cities running fast is not being counted anywhere. Still I think Tradition is better.

Everyone has his idea of ancient policies usefulness in their head, this breakdown is only to show raw numbers, and if far from an ultimate comparison, don't get pissed about it :(

Helpful table is helpful. Good job.

Free Great Person is only rated 1? That seems low considering it can get you a good wonder like Petra.

Awesome table. But free great person from Liberty finisher can also be used to get GWAM so should it not also get a culture score in Liberty?

You forgot to count the extra Gold that Liberty gets from its Golden Age. And the 50% production bonus on Settlers in the capital.

Nice table...and helpful.

I have only recently accepted that in BNW Tradition seems to be a no-brainer compared to Liberty... I miss the Free Settler. The faster worker productivity, although nice, doesn't seem to be too great a loss. [And I've resorted to stealing my first worker usually from a nearby CS...which I don't like doing...feels like an exploit; just too easy...yet firaxis has had multiple opportunities to deal with that issue and for whatever reason has chosen not to.]

The Liberty Golden Age never was all that great...too early in the game. I do miss the Liberty finisher....but I still seem to be able to get most of the early wonders that I really want...[though seldom the GL, which I usually don't bother with, unless my capital is unusually productive] ..... and often an early GE, anyway. Sometimes I'll open Liberty to be able to build the Pyramids, which almost always seems to be easy to get and is nice to have... though it doesn't seem quite the same...I guess that's the loss of the free worker/productivity policy...

Nope, free great person is rated as 1 to military due to the extremely low chance you will spent it on a general or admiral.

Derp. Yeah, I get it now, my mistake.

Nice table...and helpful.

I have only recently accepted that in BNW Tradition seems to be a no-brainer compared to Liberty... I miss the Free Settler. The faster worker productivity, although nice, doesn't seem to be too great a loss. [And I've resorted to stealing my first worker usually from a nearby CS...which I don't like doing...feels like an exploit; just too easy...yet firaxis has had multiple opportunities to deal with that issue and for whatever reason has chosen not to.]

The Liberty Golden Age never was all that great...too early in the game. I do miss the Liberty finisher....but I still seem to be able to get most of the early wonders that I really want...[though seldom the GL, which I usually don't bother with, unless my capital is unusually productive] ..... and often an early GE, anyway. Sometimes I'll open Liberty to be able to build the Pyramids, which almost always seems to be easy to get and is nice to have... though it doesn't seem quite the same...I guess that's the loss of the free worker/productivity policy...

You should find you have much more money to buy a settler with gold when you go Tradition - half your capital size in gold-per-turn plus free garrisoned units do a lot for your bank balance!

Top Bottom