And the best WOW of the modern era is..

trada

civ1 mod
Retired Moderator
The best Wonder Of the World of the modern era is the U.N.

That's right. After many years of civ I have come to accept that the U.N is better then SETI, better then Cure for Cancer, better then any of the others. As you might know, the manuel has this to say of the U.N.:

United Nations: The United Nations is an international organization that meets to solve international problems through diplomacy. Its goal is world peace and security. It offers a forum for debate and also works to aid the economic and technical development of poorer nations.
Building the United Nations is a great achievement by a civilization. It is available after the advance of Communism. During negotiations with other civilizations, they always offer to make peace with you. This allows at least a temporary resolution to all wars you are engaged in. The United Nations costs 600 resources to build.

Now, in the last age you *should* have explored and made contact with all if not most of the other civs. You *should* be involved in inter-continent wars and you *should* be racing either for a military or SS win. In other words, wrapping things up. The U.N. is often underesimated because the diplomacy is so fragile that peace really means nothing much. BUT if you play your diplomats right no other civs can start wars with you and you can stop them whenever you want. Simply camp a defence unit outside an enemy city and make peace. The A.I. won't even think about landing attack parties on your land and won't make any move to gain territory from you. Rather, they will sit there and... well, sit there.This is useful because it lets you concentrate on techs and a SS victory OR building up your armies to invade their land while they're still in peace-mode. Also, with the U.N. in play. All civs seem to prefer peace slightly more then before. Example, in my current game me as the Romans, the Germans and the Egyptains are all roughly world powers with mighty empires and there is no way in the world any of us are going to conquer the other two before 2060. It's 1906 now and I'm enough behind in techs to not beat the Germans in a SS (which they've... oh dear, already Launched!). Before I built the U.N. The only peace was between me and the Germans and even that was pretty wishy-washy. Now, AFTER I built the U.N. and payed a little visit to all the other civs the only war going on in the world is between the Germans and the minor nation of the Americans (who are getting throughly pounded). The U.N. seems to bring the diplomacy up to the next level. The AI doesn't break, sign, break, sign then break treaties 5 times a year (every year). This enhanced diplomacy not only makes the game more enjoyable and realistic, it makes winning more worth while as well. Now, we can realy ask the questions such as:

What will my allies think if I enter the Russian-Mongolian war?
What will the super-powers of the world think of my constant oppresion of the Germans?
Will the great French-Zulu hold through the tension of colonisation?
Can I muster enough allies to rival the mightly Indian-English-Greek bloc?
Will the Chinese let their Babylonian borthers win a spaceship victory?

The U.N. brings a new rich dimension to civ1. Build it ans watch your Civilization experience turn golden.

Anybody care to debate the best WOW of the modern era? Or comment on my findings on the U.N.? Questions? POST! :D

I like apollo and SETI, Hoover dam too
I never bother building UN

What? An actual reply to my thread? Is this some kind of sick joke? :p

Ahhh, Well. It really depends if you're happy with the diplomacy or if you want something more. Meh.

I dont like the idea of not having the luxury to destroy other civilizations at will. And sometimes they send some emissary and I talk them him by mistake forcing me to make peace.

I'm a fan of Apollo. Usually when I play, it's a war and I know where most of the enemy cities are, but I need to send rockets into orbit to find those pesky re-spawnings and the like.

Me too. I absolutely loathe it when the AI builds it before me and I have to go find the city it's in in order to take it over and gain the Apollo benefit.

It takes the search out of search and destroy.

Top Bottom