Announce your new/updated Civ3 files for front-page coverage!

Thanks. It's more an inconvenience than a problem. One way I can just scroll down the page & copy & paste into another document. The other way I have to open links, copy them, etc.

Blue Monkey,

I don't see what the problem is, everyone is putting their preview pictures in a spoiler button in there submission.

Last month none of the following made it to the front page: my submissions, all of Pounder's great cities and resources, and Goldfool's forests and resources.

Yet they all had pictures included with the submission. There was no need to search for the pics.

Blue Monkey,

I don't see what the problem is, everyone is putting their preview pictures in a spoiler button in there submission.

Last month none of the following made it to the front page: my submissions, all of Pounder's great cities and resources, and Goldfool's forests and resources.

Yet they all had pictures included with the submission. There was no need to search for the pics.
I don't think he was talking about the pictures, but instead about the links. The site sometimes shortens the url in a post so that the link still works, but the whole url isn't actually displayed.
eg. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8233232&postcount=2
You see how the ... is in the middle, but I didn't put it there, the site did, so the link still works. However, you can't just copy the url, because the ... means if copied and pasted, it won't work.

At least I think that's what he was on about.

Look at the OP with reference to guidelines for pictures. Which I referred back to in several other posts - see my posts in September & October. Standard sizes get used. I won't take the extra time any more to deal with images I have to crop or otherwise edit - that amounts to hours of extra work each month. ;)

On the other hand, if I miss including a link to any submission a quick PM will get it corrected ASAP.
I don't think he was talking about the pictures, but instead about the links. The site sometimes shortens the url in a post so that the link still works, but the whole url isn't actually displayed.
eg. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8233232&postcount=2
You see how the ... is in the middle, but I didn't put it there, the site did, so the link still works. However, you can't just copy the url, because the ... means if copied and pasted, it won't work.

At least I think that's what he was on about.
Right on the mark. ;)

Not to be pushy or rude or anything, but when is this announcement due to be posted?

I just got through having an instructor cram 3 weeks of material into one class session & then give us a final a week early. I will work on it in the next couple of days, but thought I'd give those who want to redo their previews, or post new items, until Tuesday night to do so.

... when is this announcement due to be posted?
Moderator Action: I apologize again to all of you who have been waiting so patiently for me to fulfill my obligation to the creative community. In addition to the academic crunch, I've been helping a local non-profit that helps many unemployed & underemployed people to keep its doors open, and was also unexpectedly out of town for business.

I hadn't realized it's been so long since I posted an announcement. I am working on this now as my # 1 priority. I even have the ringer off & the answering machine on - not to mention leaving the presents unwrapped until the last minute. Because of the quantity of contributions it's going to take today & tomorrow to get it done. Barring any RL emergencies I expect to have your work announced late (PST) on the 23rd.

I tried to go back & catch the changes to previews (any post that showed an edit after about November 23rd). Thanks to everyone who adapted to my needs. If I don't have any appropriately sized image from you I expect to contact you by PM, rather than post here, to give you a last minute chance.

Here is the new preview, changed the dimensions a bit.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachments

• bluemoveprev.jpg
    bluemoveprev.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 315
Moderator Action:

The announcement is finally posted

I even managed to squeeze in links to Steph's & HenryStow's contributions. Everyone who provided a usable image at the last minute got something in the preview. Only those who didn't give me anything matching the guidelines were left out.

Please check that the links lead where they're supposed to.

I'll make every effort to be more prompt with future announcements. Happy holidays.

:coffee:

Blue Monkey

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, I have not been in the preview for the last few postings.

This time I even shrunk down my attached previews to be smaller that the requirements and still none of my contributions are shown.

I notice that there are others that didn't make it, and I notice that they also posted what looks like acceptable previews.

Please advise.
It's pretty simple. I need even numbers to arrange the images. The standard pcx dimensions are the easiest to settle on - 128x128 for the tech icons, for example - since a lot of what's submitted are already at these sizes. The latest previews you posted had dimensions of 311x236, 141x116, and 298x195. None of those images have a single side that is 128, 256, 320, 640 ...

It takes several hours to put the announcement together, every time. Think about the time to write up the text in the specified format, making sure each link functions. I have been given (by Thunderfall) a specific guideline for preview size (both dimensions & file size). Count the number of submissions (43 this month) & think about fitting that many images into a standard shape.

If you think I'm being arbitrary - that I should just arrange the images as is - try doing the above for 43 submissions with oddly sized previews. Or I could crop the pictures myself. Here's a nice standard sized (256x256) crop of somebody's submission:

I could do that 43 times I guess. Or debate with myself about what it is each of the contributors actually think is important in the image they submitted, then try to crop the image to best display that. If I do the thinking & get it edited satisfactorily in 5 minutes that would be about average in my experience of previous months' announcements. 43 x 5 = 215 minutes, or 3 hours 35 minutes just to get a set of images that haven't even been assembled into a preview yet. So now consider 3:35 of my time for a result that may not satisfy anyone vs. 0:05 of your time to give me what you want shown in a size that fits together with everyone else's images.

My solution was to post guidelines. Ask people month after month to meet them. Then finally move to the stage of actually working within those limits. If anyone really thinks I'm being unfair I encourage them to actually download all the pieces & put together both the preview & the text into an announcement. Prepare it as a post for this thread. Then come back & share your opinion of what I do based on your experience.

Top Bottom