Anyone else getting this auto-select bug?

Big J Money

Emperor
This usually occurs to me once or more every turn.

The auto-select will highlight a unit, then after about 1/2 - 1 second, it will auto-select a different one. With no input from me. The problem then causes is that if I'm quick and I know what move I want to make with a unit, I will make the move only to find that a different unit is selected just before I make that move and so the wrong unit makes the move.

My workaround is just to wait an extra second after each auto-select until I know which unit is actually selected for sure.

A similar issue, maybe the same, is that occasionally the system doesn't auto-select anyone at all. I have to double check that these are indeed units with no standing orders, but I'm fairly certain they have been.

Unfortunately, it isn't a bug -- that's how auto-select works. If you find yourself misclicking too often, the only solutions appear to be :

1. play a bit more slowly/deliberately, to minimize misclicks, or

2. manually disable auto-select - see this thread.

On units not being auto-selected, are those units that are fortified or asleep (auto-select skips those) or units that are the subject of a multi-turn move that is not yet complete (also skipped until those move orders are completed)?

I think you misunderstood me. It's a bug and I'm not misclicking anything.

How else can I describe this obviously incorrect behavior? Maybe you just haven't repro'd it on your machine and you're making an assumption?

Actually to get to the bottom of this, maybe you can restate what you think I said?

What I believe you were describing is the circumstance where you try to manually select a particular unit and give it a quick order (e.g., click to select unit and immediately right click to move the unit to to this tile), but auto-select overrode your selection a fraction of a second later, zooming you to a different unit, where, all too frequently, the game applies your right click move order to the newly selected unit, rather than the unit you tried to manually select. I call that a misclick, because I wanted my right-click move order to apply to this unit, not that unit, located half-way across the map, all because the auto-select sluggishly changed the unit focus (and therefore my move order) to the wrong unit. Unless you disable auto-select, the only solution I am aware of is to slow down and make sure auto-select is not about to zip you off to a different unit.

I am having the same problem. When you click on the "a unit needs order" exclamation it auto selects a unit, then after a beat it jumps to a different unit. It's highly annoying and has go to be a bug. I'm not manually selecting any troops, it's like auto-select can't decide which troop it wants.

Yes, it does also happen when you select a unit from the "unit needs orders" prompt -- which can be very irritating.

What I believe you were describing is the circumstance where you try to manually select a particular unit and give it a quick order (e.g., click to select unit and immediately right click to move the unit to to this tile), but auto-select overrode your selection a fraction of a second later, zooming you to a different unit, where, all too frequently, the game applies your right click move order to the newly selected unit, rather than the unit you tried to manually select. I call that a misclick, because I wanted my right-click move order to apply to this unit, not that unit, located half-way across the map, all because the auto-select sluggishly changed the unit focus (and therefore my move order) to the wrong unit. Unless you disable auto-select, the only solution I am aware of is to slow down and make sure auto-select is not about to zip you off to a different unit.

Thank you. This is not quite what I was saying. I think I have another way of explaining this.

- My turn comes up
(I don't click anything)
- Auto-select selects a warrior
- I don't click on any units. I simply give the warrior an order; maybe attack another unit
- The order is given as expected; everything is ok so far and the unit completes its attack
- Auto-select selects a 2nd warrior; the warrior is clearly now selected and highlighted
- I know I want this warrior to move to a new hex, so I go to click that hex (note, I am not clicking any units; I am merely clicking the hex)
- Within the span of time that I go to click the hex, auto-select goes again on its own, and selects an archer
- Since this happens just before I give the move to hex order, I end up giving that order to an archer

In this case, I'm not attempting to select any units at all. I'm allowing auto-select to do the selecting, and then I simply give the clearly highlighted unit an order. But it goes twice in a row sometimes, and changes the unit on me before I click the order. This all happens pretty quickly though.

So the workaround for me is to always pause and give auto-select some extra time in case it decides to switch units after a half second. If I have to I could download FRAPS and get a video of this happening (assuming it still repros after restarting the game). I'm hoping more people have run into this version of the issue.

Hmm, I can't recall having experienced that chain of events, but that would certainly be a very irritating variation on the auto-select/misclick example I have experienced.

Yeah I'm seeing lots of auto-select oddities.

Just now auto-select selected a Galley that had just finished being produced (clearly highlighted and focused on it) and it was asking me to pick a trade route. I was able to escape out of the trade dialog and re-select the galley to move it. There are some seriously funky synchronization issues with the auto prompting. I have an 8 core CPU I wonder if it's related at all?

Thank you. This is not quite what I was saying. I think I have another way of explaining this.

- My turn comes up
(I don't click anything)
- Auto-select selects a warrior
- I don't click on any units. I simply give the warrior an order; maybe attack another unit
- The order is given as expected; everything is ok so far and the unit completes its attack
- Auto-select selects a 2nd warrior; the warrior is clearly now selected and highlighted
- I know I want this warrior to move to a new hex, so I go to click that hex (note, I am not clicking any units; I am merely clicking the hex)
- Within the span of time that I go to click the hex, auto-select goes again on its own, and selects an archer
- Since this happens just before I give the move to hex order, I end up giving that order to an archer

In this case, I'm not attempting to select any units at all. I'm allowing auto-select to do the selecting, and then I simply give the clearly highlighted unit an order. But it goes twice in a row sometimes, and changes the unit on me before I click the order. This all happens pretty quickly though.

So the workaround for me is to always pause and give auto-select some extra time in case it decides to switch units after a half second. If I have to I could download FRAPS and get a video of this happening (assuming it still repros after restarting the game). I'm hoping more people have run into this version of the issue.

I can confirm this bug. It appears that the _last_ unit in the cycle gets briefly reselected in between every other selection. So, if there are 5 units in the cycle, the screen will actually cycle through 1 - (5) - 2 - (5) - 3 - (5) - 4 -5. And each time that the (mis)selected unit is marked with parentheses here, you can't actually give that unit an order. If you click the spacebar to skip a turn, for example, that order will get given to the next unit.

I have trouble imagining how, even if you tried, you could manage to program autoselect to cyucle though things in this order.

I also have this problem all of the time. You have to wait a solid two second just to be sure it won't jump to a new unit suddenly and tell it to move somewhere you don't want it to go.

Glad to hear that it's not just me and my computer. At least 2 - 3 times per 100 turns each game, Auto-Select cycles past the unit selected to give my orders to the wrong unit. - And it must be a near-universal phenomenon, because it has happened in every single game I've played so far, and I'm playing on a Mac with Aspyr's version of the game, not on the original PC version.

It's absurd that this bug still hasn't been fixed. It's been present since launch, and everyone I know is affected by it, which makes it seem like intentional behavior. It's annoying as hell.

You guys are talking like it's an occasional thing, but for me it's like half the time any unit gets autoselected. Generally several times per turn. I'm more surprised when it doesn't happen than when it does.

Last edited:
Do you have the same issue if you turn auto select off?
Although I generally have it switched on, I've never seen the system reselect a new unit after autoselecting one. Before Orders are given.

I can't believe anyone would play with the auto-select on (in its current state). Just map the next action and/or next unit key and hotkey next unit. It's the way I normally play even when auto-select is working correctly.

I am experiencing some thing similar, I give unit an order, it completes its order attack, then next turn I order it to heal, after a few turns it heals completely, then auto select will not select the unit so it sits there doing nothing until I find it and give it an order, this is same with moving unit after reaching it destination auto select skips it.

I have cleared out my logs and cache folders in civ 6, and the auto-select problem seems to have been fixed, though time will tell

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to keep on clearing my cache and logs, this cannot be good, any ideas

Top Bottom