1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone see AI uses Tanks & Battleships?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by makrisgialos, Nov 24, 2010.

1. makrisgialos

makrisgialos GREEK REBEL

Dear all,

Based on your testimonies that AI loves to build unique units,i have finally found the solution!!!

I have added ZERO fighters,and B-17 to be build,by every civilization.
    Then i have declared war to Germany in an era, that was advanced.

Then a massive air attack from ZEROs begin,struckin my units!!!

i will test more the game in order to see B-17s as well.

2. vandyr

vandyr Prince

I rarely saw fighters in Civ IV either, and never saw a single AI paratrooper. Can't remember as far back as Civ III.

3. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

I don't know what you are talking about. While I was playing Civ 4: BtS the AI almost always built huge stacks of paratroopers (and albeit, it typically used them very poorly) and enough fighters to defend itself.

4. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

I don't recall the AI every using paratroopers, modern paratroopers, or marines in Civ3. I forget if they used guerillas/TOW infantry in conquests or not, but if they didn't thats understandable since they were more of a cheap stand in if you didn't get oil. I Don't recall if they used stealth aircraft, but they definately used normal bombers, fairly effectively actually, at least in the defence of their own lands.

Actually thinking of Civ3 in this context I just remembered the AI's non existant use of artillery, my favotire unit. Even when the AI captured them from you they often went to garrisson some forlorn city in the far reaches of their kingdom, never to see glorious combat again. Good memories in Civ3, making stacks of ~10 infantry and 8 artillery and going on a rampage. Defence unit my :rolleyes: hahaha

5. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

I have been nailed with paratrooper drops quite a few times in Civ 4, and have often seen AI cities defended with fighter cover.

6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

I think more simple would be to just change the flavor values on the vanilla units to match or be slightly less than ZEROs. The bigger problem is, does the A.I. use them well?

7. Shadow717

Shadow717 Warlord

Oh my... that single sentance just brought images of AI stupidity rushing to my head. Fighters strafing Mobile SAMs? Bombers bombing missle cruisers? :lol:

8. CivFart

CivFart Warlord

Yes i've seen the AI use all of those units. But I play on deity, maybe that explains why. I think I have seen it on beginner level too.

Once I saw a city state sink a missile cruiser by using guided missiles, that was a funny sight. The missile came from nowhere across an island from where it was foggy. So yes, they do use it.

If you gift a unit with missiles aboard, the city state will eventually fire those missiles.

9. makrisgialos

makrisgialos GREEK REBEL

Dear Friend,

I dont know what vanilla means-flavor values-it has something to do how much AI likes to build these units?

I complained here cause i didnt see the AI uses fighters,bombers,jet fighters,and Battleships,and i wanted to collect experiences from other players.
    They all agreed that the units above are seen very rear,and some players never saw them at all.
    I dont agree that has to do with difficulty level.I m playing in immortal,and so far i didnt see anything.
    But some of them,told me that they saw fighters.they were only ZEROs but in huge numbers.They also supposed that AI loves to build unique units.

So i took the bet and i have added these unique units so that every civilization can build them.
    And it works!!!

Huge offensive by many ZEROs.It was the frst time i was witnessing dogfights here.And in large numbers!
    The AI also used them very well.it focused mostly land units,and artillery as well.
    When i pushed some anti-air guns,AI attemted to attack on my units protected by anti air and they repelled,so it sended infantry and artillery to take them out,then sended its aircraft attacked unprotected units.

Conclusion:The AI seems to uses air frces very nice.the problem is,that if i didnt import the ZEROs in,it wouldnt use the ordinary fighters.

10. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Basically yeah, flavor values tell the A.I. what to build. Sorry I just assumed if you knew how to give all the A.I.'s zeros you'd know that ;) Basically, go to the unit_flavors (e.g. Cntrl-f ZERO in the units xml and just keep going till it says stuff like FLAVOR_OFFENSE), look at what the zero unit has, and make the fighter unit have those values. Then any civ will make fighters like they do zeros.

11. makrisgialos

makrisgialos GREEK REBEL

WOW,i didnt know about that.I ve searched after reading your mail the flavors for ZERO and you are right,it has increased values for both offense and defence.Your help is precious,thank you.I will work on it right away and if you interested i ll keep you informed.
    Hoever,the more offensive value the more it is used?Whats the deal for defense then?

PS*Also,i have noticed that after flavor offense or defense on fighter,there is FLAVOR AIR,and on ships,FLAVOR NAVAL:Do you know what these values affecting?(i assuming persuade AI to pay more attention to naval units or air?)
    All these values i edited them as well,to higher levels,but i dont know what they are affecting.

12. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

TBH I don't really know exactly either. Here's how I think it works:

Through current A.I. strategies/leader biases, the A.I. ends up every turn with a set of flavor values to build what it wants (some of them include Air, naval,offense,defense,growth,expansion, etc.) It adds each of these values to all units/buildings flavor values (so if the A.I. had a current setting of FLAVOR_EXPANSION at 20, it would at that 20 to the settler's 30 flavor). Whichever thing has the highest number in any flavor value gets built. There is also a small degree of randomness thrown in there somewhere.

13. Titan357

Titan357 Chieftain

I have seen tanks and mech Inf. on king.
    No subs and my last game Russia had two battle ships matched to my two, so I called in a sub and destroyer, and they got a destroyer and some tank.
    We where close to land, but tanks cant fire at naval units.

14. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Well it's a moot point now, as next patch they A.I.'s going to use aircraft, and even anti-aircraft correctly. Hopefully anyways :)