Anyone see AI uses Tanks & Battleships?

makrisgialos

GREEK REBEL
Dear all,

I ll stick directly to the subject.
I m playing immortal difficulty, and so far after played numerous games i still havent see the AI uses Fighters,Bombers,submarines,Tanks and Battleships.

I don t know the reason,and the AI uses all the time just infantry and artillery units,making my offensive piece of cake for me.

Anyone see the AI uses theses units?

Your comments please are badly needed in order to see wht is wrong.

Tanks, sure.
The others no.

The main problem is by the time we get to the later eras, I am far, far ahead of the AI in tech and economy, even on Immortal.

The AI can put up a fight early on or midgame, but then after a few wars where I obliterate the major armies, they are unable to recover.

In this weeks (won it last night) Immortal small Pangaea game, Hiawatha had a stealth bomber, a submarine, a few regular bombers, quite a few modern armors, and quite a few battle ships.

Of course there were tons on infantry and mechs. However, I didn't see any fighters.

.. neilkaz ..

hm,,,,

Then it seems that i am wrong.I forgot to write that i m playing in immortal difficulty,but i m always choosing small continents terrain,Tiny world,with 14 civs.
And although AI has in its control advanced civs possesing resources,i ve never seen these units.

Fighters performing sweep always finding no resistance;i ve never been intercepted.

Anyway,your opinions were precious,i ll try and play different world size.
Thank you all.

PS:The reason i dont like big world sizes is because i m loosing control when
i m having 3 or more cities to look after.

AI uses tanks/modern armors quite regularly. Battleships - I think I've seen some.

Fighters are really rare occurence, in my experience.

As a matter of fact, it was not until yesterday, on tiny pangea deity game, when I saw AI using fighter for the first time. Some of my units were attacked by them - at least that's what the notification said (I'm using quick combat, so I didn't see the animation).

Also, the fighter probably defended one town, since one of my bombers got destroyed (I use quick combat, so I didn't see the animation), even though it was almost at full health (but maybe there was more than one anti-aircraft gun - I'm not sure).

In another game (immortal), I've seen AI using stealth bombers.

So the only thing remaining is getting nuked - has this happened to anybody?

I've yet to see the AI use nukes, in fact I've never even seen a single AI build the Manhattan Project in over 250 hours of playing.

I problem with this can perhaps be that a human can "save" some oils for use later on, an AI perhaps doesn't do that (much). So if an AI discover Combustion first and has 4 oils, he start building 4 tanks, a task that will take some time. When he has discovered Flight, he doesn't have any oil left, until he has lost a tank.

I have seen all sorts of units, but usually later on, much later on.

I once had a massive "WWII-Style" war and got stuck on some hills (because of bad planning from my side and some enemy Art.). The AI had a lot of tanks when the war started. I moved my carrier there so the air could take out his damn Art. and also some stray tanks. By the end of the war he started to have bigger ships instead of tanks (he tried to re-build his navy, stopping my invasion, I guess).

I have seen most units at some point or another, but I have only seen an AI using Fighter when I have giving them one (a sometimes do that to strategic CS).

A question before the court. If you are ally with a CS, you get there resources, but if for example Brussels have 8 oils, do you get 8 oil or do you AND Brussels get 8 oil each? Do CS units get out of supply? (e.g. is it better to give them a Pikeman than a Longswordman, if they don't have Iron).

I've seen AI battleships, typically from the Arabs who have lots of oil. They can be very tough to dig out too.

AI uses tanks/modern armors quite regularly. Battleships - I think I've seen some.

Fighters are really rare occurence, in my experience.

As a matter of fact, it was not until yesterday, on tiny pangea deity game, when I saw AI using fighter for the first time. Some of my units were attacked by them - at least that's what the notification said (I'm using quick combat, so I didn't see the animation).

Also, the fighter probably defended one town, since one of my bombers got destroyed (I use quick combat, so I didn't see the animation), even though it was almost at full health (but maybe there was more than one anti-aircraft gun - I'm not sure).

In another game (immortal), I've seen AI using stealth bombers.

So the only thing remaining is getting nuked - has this happened to anybody?

most recent game saw ai building lots of modern armor and a gdr. game before that they had multiple fighers, and before that I invaded america during the b-17 era. I think they had 7 of them...

most recent game saw ai building lots of modern armor and a gdr. game before that they had multiple fighers, and before that I invaded america during the b-17 era. I think they had 7 of them...

This is the first I've heard of the AI making GDR's although I've been gifted one by a CS before to nicely complement the 4 I had.

I believe that the AI in Civ5 doesn't use nukes. .. neilkaz recalling some severely globally warmed worlds from Civ2 nukefests ..

I have seen a civ with a nuclear missile, i took the city it was in and it moved to another city.
i took that one too...what does it take to get them to use it? (btw i conquered them and they never used it wtf)

oh, i have seen many battleships. but no fighters...i have even seen an enemy carrier....without fighters O.o
i hope they fix this. the only fighters i have seen were zeros from japan, and they had ALOT of them. they even upgraded
a few to jet fighters.

OK,

so the main deal is that the AI spends all oil resources to destroyers (which discovers first)then run out of oil to build battleships or fighters?

Yes, so perhaps destroyers (for gameplay purposes no realism involved) shouldn't require oil (like in CCMAT I'm pretty sure) or the tech tree could be reworked.

OK,

tonight then i will edit the xml and remove the oil from battleships.in case i see something different i will post it here.

I forgot to tell that i have seen only one ironclad so far-so i will remove completely all strategic resources for industrial and modern era units to see whats going on.
If AI will build many units then,its a serious blow to game's realism.

I don't think I've ever seen an AI tank, battleship, missile cruiser or any airforce.

In addition to your infanty/artillery list, I would add cruise missiles. The AI seems to looooove the cruise missiles.

It makes you wonder how a CS can gift you a Giant Death Robot, or a Scout...

Destroyers don't have any resource requirements.

Tanks, Fighter, Bomber, Battleship, and Carrier is the units that require oil. I Often see tanks out, so I guess that the AI research Combustion first. I have never seen an AI fighter (unless I have given them) but some people here have seen Japan with them (make sence, they probably go for flight first). I think it would be better if the Devs scripted the AI so that they don't use all the resources on just one unit type.

I would guess that since it takes so long time to build Manhattan project, those AI that goes for this has researched and started to build Nuclear Plants already, so they don't have any Uranium left for Atom Bombs.

Ive seen tanks a few times. I have only seen bombers and fighters IF they are that civ UU (basically B17s and Zeroes). Battleships are rare for the AI but i have seen them. Modern armor is very rare.

That said I have NEVER seen the AI produce: Nukes, Missile Cruisers, Carriers, Paratroopers, stealth bombers/fighters.

One of my biggest beefs is that all these modern units are basically USELESS vs the AI and all modern wars degenerate into Mech infantry modern armor and rocket artillery. The high build costs of units effectively mean that you need to build your army in advance (which the AI doesnt do). Altogether late game wars (and the late game in general) is an absolute borefest.

Rat

Top Bottom