AP Destruction Question

Draknith

King
Alright... Here's the scoop. I am leader of the Christian world, but do not control the AP. In fact the AP is connected to the Buddist world, and more importantly controlled by Jao of Portugal. I am about to kick off a Holy War against the Buddists, but intend on making my first strike against Lisbon where the AP is located. The map is an archepelego (sp), and each civ roughly has it's own island. When I take the Portugeese cities, I will have the opportunity to make a new colony loyal to me. I intend on converting all the original cities in Portugal to Christianity therefore, persuading my new colony to adopt it as their state religion. If I capture and Lisbon and destory the AP I know that I won't have any unified Holy Wars against me through it; but if I capture the city, get my new colony to adopt Christianity, and control the AP, will it fall under Christian rule, or will it remain under Buddist rule?

The AP will forever remain it the religion it was initially built. Buddhist in your case.

Yeah, my experience shows it stays the religion it was initially built as. Oddly, once I captured the building and the former owner was still able to make resolutions (was before I knew about this place, or I would have kept a savegame). If you don't build the AP, it's best to burn the city that holds it to the ground.

Here is a question, what if you conquer the AP city, but eliminate the leader who built it, would the next resolution be choosing a new leader or no more voting will happen because that leader is dead

At some point a new leader elaction would come up (unless you have Mass Media - it obsoletes the whole thing, but only if the Civ who has it has it). I am not sure tho, if it will happen immediately, or when the next resolution was scedualed.

Can't

"Requires Staate Religion to be present in the City"

If you raze the buddhist AP, I am quite certain that you can build it in any other religion? Isn't it one AP of each religion, but only one AP at a time? That's my impression?

No, its one World Wonder of a Kind per game, ever.

Don't raze it! Even if you don't want to convert to its religion, all buildings built of that religion get the +2 hammer bonus. Would be stupid to throw something like that away. Doesn't matter who owns it, either. (At least, that's what's been happening in my last couple games.)

That with the 2 :hammers: is a good point. However it controlling it yourself it will get obsolete if you have Mass Media (BTW. now when i think of it... If you have Mass Media or can get it soon... no need to raze it :D)

Sometimes however beeing constantly bugged by stupid resolution (or even risking loosing the game to a vote) outweights those 4.5 :hammers: you get per city...

Don't raze it! Even if you don't want to convert to its religion, all buildings built of that religion get the +2 hammer bonus. Would be stupid to throw something like that away. Doesn't matter who owns it, either. (At least, that's what's been happening in my last couple games.)

I'd still say to raze it. The AI you took it from will go to great lengths to get the palace back; in addition to the importance of the AP itself, it's frequently in a high production city. Unless you're absolutely sure you can effectively garrison it from the civ, and that you can avoid a culture flip, you're running an awful chance that the AI will reclaim it. And once you've occupied the city, you won't have the option to raze it later (I'm not sure whether that's a 'feature' or a 'bug', but there it is).

Unless the city is worth the massive investment you may have to take to protect it, I generally find it not worth it. Your mileage may, of course, vary. I really hate the AP diplomatic victory, so I short-circuit it anyway I can.

Excellent, thanks alot you guys for all the feedback. Quite interesting actually. I posted this question on the 12th, and already I have 12 replies.

So here's what I did. Since the general consensus was that the AP would retain it's original founding religion, I realized that keeping it would be a bad idea. Yes, yes, I know some of you did not suggest this path, but it was the whole point of going after it first in this war.

I am really not too worried about the +2 hammers. The city itself was a chosen target, because I plan on wiping out the buddist faith. I won't be keeping any of the cities, but rather wanted to develop colonies on all the conquered landmasses. It's kinda like going in to the other countries, and manipulating their political process by installing new governors loyal to me. If I kept the AP around it is just going to cause more problems for me. Not a bad way to kick off a religious war though don't you think? Decalre war on the strongest Buddist Civ, who controls the AP, and then systematically destroy their faithful cities while their religous-political power crumbles before them.

Plus I'm using the World Piece Mod developed by Seven05. You guys should check it out.

then again, why raze it when you can (hopefully) eliminate the civ who held it originally? I like to see wars to that end if I can. I hate having the "We yearn to join the motherland" unhappys. If Buddhism is the larger religion, maybe you should convert yourself?

(edit) Just saw your latest post on it.....that would be why....... haha

(edit) Just saw your latest post on it.....that would be why....... haha

Yeah... I'm pretty much the biggest (Explicit) in the game. Plus I couldn't image the shame, converting to their heathen religion!!!

My strategy has actually worked out quite well so far. I was able to put in a couple hours the other night and see how my strategy would turn out. The war went well. Sent in two divisions (One artillery, One army). Roughly 16-20 troops. Destroyed Lisbon, then followed by mopping up their army, and destroying the other cities. Rebuilt Lisbon in my image (haha), and converted all cities to christianity. After that, I installed Alexander of the Greeks to take control of the former Portugeese Empire. Now, I have my sights set on the Mayans, who are the founders of buddism, and control the Holy City.

My strategy is to send in 2 more div. (roughly 16-20 troops) to attack their mainland, while reorganizing and using the prev divs from Portugal to attack the off land cities of the Mayans. However, I'm going to truly injure the buddist faith by destoying all their cities, rebuilding my own over the ruins, and then placing christianity across the new lands. Should take away 50% of Buddism's influence in the world in one quick fell swoop!!!

Top Bottom