1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Are F-15s all that bad?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Lab Monkey, May 22, 2002.

?

America's UU, what do you think?

Poll closed May 27, 2002.
  1. Yeah, I'll give it a chance.

17 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. No way, roll on the Delta Force unit!

25 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Don't play America/don't care/don't know

35 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Who wants to play the Americans anyway?

Marines? Give them a -50% 'bonus' against any land based unit, only for constant reference to what happened in 'nam. Ha!

2. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

I agree, marines have proven to be nothing special in a historical sense. A spec. ops paratrooper could be more useful (however paratroopers in general aren't very useful) and realistic. Anyway, if anyone gets a special ops unit, it should be english with SAS, not america anyway.

It doesn't matter anyway, no-one in their right mind would want to play as america unless they want the challenge of the disadvantage of playin as a poor civ with poor advantages and a poor UU.

I do find that the AI for america is accurate tho, ie trying to rip people off in trades and declaring war on everyone lol very accurate.

3. dikwhit

dikwhit Warlord

Johnnyreb you beat me to the punchline, USMC amen brother. F15 what a useless piece of garbage, right up there with the french for useless UU.

4. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Well I couldn't care less about the F15.
    However, several of the UU are worthless

Egypt War Chariot - It is effectively a horseman that can't enter mountains.

England Man o' War - Has it ever made a difference.

I agreee with dikwhit - Who attacks with musketeers, the France one is a loser.

Give a good uu -
    Hoplite - Pikeman is the BC time frame, and upgrades all the way to mech inf.
    Mounted Warrior - upgrades to cavalry, and the only ancient fast unit with an attack of 3 and upgrades to cavalry.
    All of the Asian culture ones - Samurai, Rider, War Elephant.
    Immortal - it's time runs out, but deadly for enough time to wipe a couple of civs from the planet. Good until Rifleman appear.

5. Traquenard-fx

Traquenard-fx Freedom for my poeple

Me too :lol:
    Always play has France and america was always one of my partner because really easy to control by giving orders:D

6. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Warlord

Not sure what history books you're reading, but they won every major battle they were in (check out Dewey Canyon or the Tet Offensive, which ultimately was a smashing US victory leading to the demise of the VC as a viable threat). Vietnam was very odd though...winning the major battles but losing the war. Oh well, politicians:die:.

Dikwhit, thank goodness I have at least ONE Compatriot!

Interestingly, I actually LIKE playing the French and have been quite successful with their musketeers. Oh well, everyone has different experiences with Civ, that is why it is such a great game. Cheers!:beer:

7. maddskillz

maddskillz Lord Skillz The Angry One

Sounds like an Aussie with a case of penis envy

:D

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Creating Scenarios

I think that the F-15 isn't very good and that its only function is to start a golden age that you may have already had. Also I think that the British UU should be the Harrior Jump Jet (the man o war is useless!)

9. D.Shaffer

D.Shaffer Warlord

Dont knock the chariot. If you got a horse close by you can potentially get it before the horseman and, more importantly, it's signifigantly cheaper to build and has the same stats. Plus it now upgrades directly into a knight. :) Very worth building if you have Egypt.

10. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

I think the Americans shoud have a NUKE as their UU. After all they are the only ones that have used it in the world...

And the russians shoud have a modern UU as well - only the Germans and Americans have modern UU, that's not enough...

Mad Hab

11. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

I think that America should have either Marines or a Special Op unit in the place of Marines. No other country in the world has anything close to these groups. I agree that russia should have a Modern UU and the English need a different one.

12. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

No offense JohnnyReb and dikwhit, but don't see why eveyone wants marines; marines are marines. Every civ can build them, wouldn't be fair to limit them to America only.

I don't see why no one likes my idea for Minutemen. They won the Revolution for heaven's sake!

They could have stats of 3/4/1 like the Musketeer, but require less shields. They could be an "extra-bonus" UU like the samurai, which has a defense bonus but only requires iron. The Minuteman could have a shorter golden age range than normal to even the scale.

13. Admiral_Drake

Admiral_Drake Chieftain

whoa there hoss
    first off i forgive anyone for knocking the USA
    i live here i was born here and i'll die defending her

good got that settled

i think the American UU should be the marines
    give the other countrys something ealse but have america have the marines

the miunte men is a good idea too
    they should take the lest amount of time to build
    becouse well they were named miunte men
    they were suposed to be able to fight in a miuntes time

14. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

F-15's as UU's are the Civ 3 equivalent of Jar Jar Binks: annoying, useless, and irrelevant.

They could have made a B-17 a UU. Or some mobile rifleman unit with a '2' movement, but no ZOC and no ability to retreat after combat.

15. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

Zouave's posts are always something to look at!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

I concur.

Actually, I just saw Star Wars today. Best since Empire Strikes Back.

How about a Clone UU for some Modern civ? :D

BTW, if you hate Jar Jar, here's a link for you: http://www.adamrulz.com/jj/jjwr.html

17. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Warlord

Whoa Nelly(ha, beats hoss! ;) )! I didn't say I want to restrict the marines to just the Americans. I would just like to see customized Marines for the USA. Like the French have Musketeers instead of musketmen, etc. You're right, every country should have marines since they sure as heck aren't an American only club (British Royal Marines, Japanese Imperial Marines, etc). However, their battles are legendary - Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Tripoli, Mexico City (Halls of Montezuma, Shores of Tripoli..think they were just lyrics? :) ), etc.

Btw, your minuteman idea is great as well. I was just trying to keep the American UU relatively modern, that's all.

18. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Warlord

Btw, on a 'slightly' related topic, has anyone ever considered making a mod with the Confederates replacing the Americans (say history took a tragic different turn at Gettysburg). Perhaps having the UU being 'JohnnyRebs' :lol: replacing Riflemen for them and their stats 5/6/1 or 4/6/2?

19. alver

alver Fish enthusiast

We even have marines in Norway! Not that many, though, I guess... :)

20. WarlordMatt

WarlordMatt Emperor

I'd like to see Navy Seals if the U.S. was to get a marine replacement. They could be able to attack enemy ships off the coastline or right by a transport carrying them, in addition to the regular amphibious attack.

Minutemen were only active in the Revolution before Civil War rifleman replaced them. Now that I think of it a minuteman would be a crappy UU for America. Seals would be better! :D

Zouave, I saw Star Wars too a couple days ago too. Loved the animation, espcecially in the battle scenes. That was cool.