are nuke worthless against sdi

contempted

Chieftain
I've never needed to nuke before, but isabella was gonna win space race. I launched 4 icbms and 2 tacticals. All were shot down I guess by SDI.Is SDI always 100%? I guess I should have launched earlier.Would she have submitted to vassalage? This game which i was winning handily is now lost.

Nope, SDI is not 100% - IIRC it is 50% in Beyond the Sword, and 75% in Vanilla. I've successfully shot through an SDI before - pointlessly other than to punish the AI for winning, but successfully. 0 for 6 is unusually unlucky, but certainly possible.

I'm not really experienced in the vassalage aspect, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have surrendered unless you also had a large conventional force taking a good part of her territory. In such a situation I guess I'd go for the espionage tact, trying to sabotage spaceship parts as they were built and destroy resources such as aluminum that help speed up the spaceship (nukes, planes, and cruise missiles could also help with this). Possibly tactical military strikes against productive cities - get in (possibly with Marines on coastal cities), raze, and get out. Not as good as doing it before the Apollo Program is built, but still useful.

Adding to what Quintillus said - why do you want to vassalize her? That won't stop her going for space. Many of the more peaceful AI's tend to look around for a sugar daddy master while they go for space or culture.

SDI has a 75% chance of intercepting in all versions, but with their evade ability tactical nukes get a 62.5% chance of hitting despite SDI. They tend to be better than ICBMs befre SDI as they cost half as much for the same damage, but after SDIs built ICBMs are basically obsolete.
Adding to what Quintillus said - why do you want to vassalize her? That won't stop her going for space. Many of the more peaceful AI's tend to look around for a sugar daddy master while they go for space or culture.
Actually when you vassalize an AI you can more or less completely prevent them from going space by forcing them to research non-space techs.

SDI has a 75% chance of intercepting in all versions, but with their evade ability tactical nukes get a 62.5% chance of hitting despite SDI. They tend to be better than ICBMs befre SDI as they cost half as much for the same damage, but after SDIs built ICBMs are basically obsolete.
Actually when you vassalize an AI you can more or less completely prevent them from going space by forcing them to research non-space techs.

True. I was under the impression she had all the techs.

I guess you;re right.I thought maybe I could demand all fo her resources and slow her down. Probably not. I've been playing Civ 3 on and off for years late last year I got Civ 4 and bts. I've never figured out how to use spy and I have no idea about commerce, shields and all of that. All that work, I thought I was comfortably ahead. I got played.

I imagine she had all close to all the techs, but how do you tell a vassal what techs to research?
Once you have a Vassal, you get another Diplomacy option. Click on the name of the Leader (bottom right of the main screen) but instead of trading with the AI, choose the "Let's discuss something else..." option. Follow that one up with the "We would like you to research..." option.

Presumably, if the AI does not have all of the Spaceship techs, then you can get the AI to research techs that don't provide Spaceship Parts as build items.

Also, presumably, your Vassal will not get Spaceship techs in trade, since, hopefully, the other AIs will refuse to make the trade, due to "wanting to win the game..." the same reason that they give to you. Hopefully... I can't say that I know for certain.

Further, you'll want to make sure that your Vassal doesn't build The Internet... keep them away from the Computers tech.

Finally, and the most important part of all, is that you have to remember to actively montior what your Vassal is researching. When they complete a tech, the list of Leaders (in the bottom right area of the main screen) will show a blank value for the tech being researched. At this point in time, the AI has completed the last tech that you asked them to research and now has a bunch of overflow Flasks.

You need to then ask them to research a particular tech, otherwise they'll pick one all on their own and will get a full turn of research plus their overflow Flasks going into that tech--which may even be enough Flasks for them to complete the tech, say, if they had started research on it previously.

So, there is a micromanagement commitment to diverting a Vassal's research along lines that you choose. It's a small commitment, but not one that you want to ignore, or you could be surprised by seeing your Vassal complete their Spaceship before you complete yours or complete whatever other Victory Condition you were going for. Good luck trying to get your own Vassal's capital razed in time to make your Vassal lose! :eek:

They're probably not spammable the same way they are pre-sdi, however they are still incredibly efficient for taking down those 50-100 unit stacks the AI likes to have, or the cities where they're storing the vast majority of their naval power.

Also useful for swinging UN votes via population decrease, which is pretty messed up if you think about it, but it works.

Top Bottom