Are the Ljosafar overpowered?

Bad Player said:
A downside to Ljosalfar with Leaves (or e.g. Bannor with Order) is getting 2 of the same type of mana (e.g. 2 nature mana or 2 law mana respectively) - it's kind of useless having 2 of the same (you nearly always lose in trading).
If you play Luchuirp 2 Earth is something you want to hang on to..........I am sure that it is not the only case.....some special units and maybe other things like higherly level spells may depend on having more mana......if this is not already the case after following these threads I am sure it will be...........It has been listed as so anyway if things have changed it is beyond me why.........Until it is explained.........I've been off gaming sometimes I do miss things but I do believe the new Luchuirp World Unit at one time required 2 Earth and if that is so the future of other civs may follow suit in certain respects about resource neccesities for growth and improvement and as a trade I've found that there are things that affect your reputation and what others are willing to do.......I have often been refused a trade with someone that is giving me a shoddy deal after I've been nothing but equidable with their civ and I ask for the thing as a gift after they refuse trade and they give it to me..........so there is more than one way to look at it and being a pushover is just as bad as being a greedy bastard in this game from what I've seen anyway.....

This is kinda OT but I just want to mention it, and this being the only Ljosafar thread, I might as well put it here. Although it fits in fantasy lore for elves and other "nature guardians" to love forests, they never seem to really appreciate other forms of nature (or rather natural life). Especially the jungle, which is pretty much the epitomy of nature. From a real-life standpoing, jungles have the highest species count and the highest biomass density. If they were wiped out, biodiversity could go down the drain, leaving earth more vulnerable to catastrophes. Of course, this is a fantasy world, but I want to point out that there's more to nature than just forests and animals. Heck, the ocean has far more biodiversity than a typical temperate forest. So I guess what I'm trying to say is...actually I don't know what I'm trying to say :p Maybe it's that "nature guardians" should take cues from real-life advs and disadvs.

How about this? Nature guardians should be able to get bonuses from any sort of high-nature plot (forests, jungles, oceans) yet should suffer the consequences of having to defend nature. Which could mean (throwing out ideas here):
- no lumbermills
- forests/jungles can't be cut down for workshops
- animal and fish resources giving less of a bonus to cities due to a reluctance to harvest
- instead of cutting down forests and jungles, you can build cottages, farms, and mines within them, but the forest/jungle the improvement is in no longer gives any more resources (so this is purely a cosmetic change)
- the previous idea with the addition of the improvements taking extra time to build
- bloom in tropical climates produces jungles instead of forests
- more grasslands in an area indicate higher rainfall, so turning too many grasslands into plains could expand a jungle
- plots that were vitalized or springed have a chance every few turns to revert to their previous type - magic can only last so long against nature

Well that's some food for thought.

H.GrenadeFrenzy said:
If you play Luchuirp 2 Earth is something you want to hang on to..........I am sure that it is not the only case.....some special units and maybe other things like higherly level spells may depend on having more mana......if this is not already the case after following these threads I am sure it will be...........It has been listed as so anyway if things have changed it is beyond me why.........Until it is explained.........I've been off gaming sometimes I do miss things but I do believe the new Luchuirp World Unit at one time required 2 Earth and if that is so the future of other civs may follow suit in certain respects about resource neccesities for growth and improvement and as a trade I've found that there are things that affect your reputation and what others are willing to do.......
Could a developer please comment on this? Is there some advantage in having 2 Earth mana/2 Nature Mana/etc?

At the moment thwre is no advantage having 2 Manas of the same sort that i am aware of. But it is planned that the Armaggedon Spells all need two manas of the same sort.

Furthermore we want to slip in advantages for spellcasters when they have access to Mana (and multiple mana) of the sphere their spell belongs too. Eg Fireballs and Meteors could become more powerfull with each fire mana you posses. The chance that one of your Spells is resisted could drop and such things.

Chalid said:
At the moment thwre is no advantage having 2 Manas of the same sort that i am aware of. But it is planned that the Armaggedon Spells all need two manas of the same sort.

Furthermore we want to slip in advantages for spellcasters when they have access to Mana (and multiple mana) of the sphere their spell belongs too. Eg Fireballs and Meteors could become more powerfull with each fire mana you posses. The chance that one of your Spells is resisted could drop and such things.

Thats a really neat idea. Now that you have adjustable icombot values you could decraese the power of all summons and fireballs, meteors ect. and give them a bonus of 1 per mana availiable in the respective spehre.

So for instance the normal skeleton would have icombat 2 - but 3 with a death mana hooked up.

H.GrenadeFrenzy said:
If you play Luchuirp 2 Earth is something you want to hang on to..........I am sure that it is not the only case.....some special units and maybe other things like higherly level spells may depend on having more mana......if this is not already the case after following these threads I am sure it will be...........It has been listed as so anyway if things have changed it is beyond me why.........Until it is explained.........I've been off gaming sometimes I do miss things but I do believe the new Luchuirp World Unit at one time required 2 Earth and if that is so the future of other civs may follow suit in certain respects about resource neccesities for growth and improvement and as a trade I've found that there are things that affect your reputation and what others are willing to do.......I have often been refused a trade with someone that is giving me a shoddy deal after I've been nothing but equidable with their civ and I ask for the thing as a gift after they refuse trade and they give it to me..........so there is more than one way to look at it and being a pushover is just as bad as being a greedy bastard in this game from what I've seen anyway.....
It was or should I say shall be the Mithiril Golem , I don't know I haven't managed to make him before things go to hell and Mithirill is oftern in short supply so I forget about him. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=160519

The Ljosalfar are not overpowered when I play them but that agressive AI is teaching me a thing or two about them.

Top Bottom