• Iam a female civ player

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Iam a female civ player and single

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Iam a male civ player but my girlfriend/wife likes civ too

Votes: 26 57.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think seeing a girl playing civ is easier to find than a girl playing Quake or CS.

Maaaaybe, but not as far as i know. My GF was addicted to CS a while, and loves FarCry and Deus Ex.. Those kind of games, but she's not all that into Civ, however she still spends some time playing it :p

We both play wow though, thats her biggest game-related passion. Im a lucky motherfawker :king:

Haha yeah, my girl and I sit on laptops on the couches in the living room playing multiplayer against each other...

Wow, 76% of people have girlfriends/wives that play civ? I'm going to chalk that up to civ players being smart enough to know a good woman when they see one instead of feeling slightly less lucky. :)

Haha yeah, my girl and I sit on laptops on the couches in the living room playing multiplayer against each other...

Wow, 76% of people have girlfriends/wives that play civ? I'm going to chalk that up to civ players being smart enough to know a good woman when they see one instead of feeling slightly less lucky. :)

I think it's because there's no other option to choose for a male civ player in the poll. :lol:

My wife doesn't play civ, but she has other PC games she likes.

I think there is something important.
If a girl play civ,that is nice.But....
The question is,as who plays she civ?
Isabella?Cathy? :drool: :eek:

Boudica?:drool: :drool: :drool:

I think there is something important.
If a girl play civ,that is nice.But....
The question is,as who plays she civ?
Isabella?Cathy? :drool: :eek:

Boudica?:drool: :drool: :drool:

I am a woman and I've been playing Civ since the 90's and I just love it, tough i have not played a lot these last years, but I bought BTS when it came out; and I feel now addicted again. No I don't play Isabella or Cathy; I'd rather go for Peter the Great or Roosevelt ;)

I am not single and having two computers at home helps a lot.

my gf hates "the computer" and all related computer based things

That's pretty much how my girlfriend sees it, except she doesn't hate computers, just the amount of time I spend on mine.
Even though we work together I still get "we hardly spend anytime together anymore" to which I fell like replying "I spent 2 years of chick flicks and dining out I figure you owe me." :joke:
Where can you get a girlfriend that plays Civ, is there a website?

My wife is obsessively addicted to online poker - fortunately the play money kind! Many evenings we sit home with our laptops, she playing her game and I Civving away to my hearts content.

And you did not see my girlfriend showing her current game to a female friend of her who seriously says "waw it looks interesting !!!". Sometimes clichés are totally wrong XD. I think seeing a girl playing civ is easier to find than a girl playing Quake or CS.

That's true. I love Civ, but have no interest in Quake or....what is CS?

My wife prefers for me to play Civ IV or any single-player games. MMORPGs are way, way more straining on relationships. Anyways - she doesn't play PC games - she just isn't into it. She tried WoW once and was like, "so WHY do I want to kill these 10 boars and do quests? I think I'd rather just relax and watch TV." Civ IV would cause her brain to explode - I don't even bother trying to explain games to her anymore. It's not that she isn't smart, she is, she's just not into complex gaming (as a form of relaxation, no less :p ).

I'd venture to say that the proportion of female Civ players to male Civ players is even smaller than the typical proportion of female PC gamers to male PC gamers, which is already small. Just a hunch.

I cant see how you could play a mmorpg and have any form of relationship. they both consume too much time.

I am a female player and I play civ since its beginning, starting as teenager with civ 1 long ago, through civ 2, civ 3, and now playing BTS. From time to time I play other games, mainly city building like Caesars, or Battle for middle earth, but Civ is all that time number 1 for me. And I cannot wait until this weekend to play and play, since it is terribly raining outside, my boyfriend works abroad, and BTS is still new for me as it has become available in Slovakia only a week ago. BTW, my boyfriend is Age of empires series fan, so we never played pc game against each other.

My beloved wife has recently realised that as I am a Civfanatic, I dont have time to

1. become an alchoholic
2. become a drug addict
3. beat her
4. beat our son
5. gamble all our money away
6. have an affair,

so I think shes realised its the lesser of several evils :)

Same with mine Red, she's just happy I'm at home and not out running around (BTW she's Irish and has red hair ;) )

I'm a woman who got her boyfriend hooked on Civ. ;) We spend most evenings playing a few hours in multiplayer together. It's a great way to spend time with each other without being in the same room.

My girlfriend was an addict of Sims. She loves Warcraft. But somehow I can't get her to enjoy Civ. There's gotta be a way for me to pass some of the fascination of the game onto her.

Please: help me! :p

Upto now her main problem with the game is that whenever I'm playing she can't surf the internet. I tried to convince her of the game, but she said it was too complex. I don't really believe it that more complex than the realtime strategy games she sometimes likes to play (see eg. Warcraft). Perhaps I can convince her with one of those fantasy mods I don't really play and then get her to play the normal game.

Any other suggestions? How did you guys convince your girlfriends/wives to play this game?

(BTW she's Irish and has red hair ;) )

irish redhead here and taurus to boot! i can out-stubborn just about anybody *giggle*.

Upto now her main problem with the game is that whenever I'm playing she can't surf the internet. I tried to convince her of the game, but she said it was too complex. I don't really believe it that more complex than the realtime strategy games she sometimes likes to play (see eg. Warcraft). Perhaps I can convince her with one of those fantasy mods I don't really play and then get her to play the normal game.

well hubby got me into it (before he was hubby) without trying. i'll put that ramble in a spoiler box, i've told it before. but i'm not sure whether i agree more with your or your girlfriend's viewpoint. to me, civ definitely isn't "too complex." but the entire beauty of it is that it's "more complex" than RTS games, if it wasn't complex it would be boring as sin for me. different strokes for different folks, i'm glad those games are out there for those that like them, but they do nothing for me, seems like a clicking festival. i like that civ makes me stop and think, and that i have all the time in the world to stop if i need to. to me the types of games are radically different; civ i adore, RTS i cannot abide. so i don't really know how to win her over from the dark side ;). i do wish you luck tho :)

so, the rambling story copied from a previous post. caution do not try this at home ...
Spoiler :
hubby (who i met in 95) had played colonization and Civ1. he bought Civ2 in March 96, not long after release. i remember the date because...

the oscars were March 16 that year (google found me that, i'm not bitter enough to remember the exact date). he'd promised to watch them with me, since having company to make catty comments to is much more fun than watching solo. he however had serious and complete 'one more turn' disease and never did save it and come to the tv room. we weren't married yet but he was at my house on his pc (he lived in a boring army barracks). i was reallllllllllllllly mad at him, i mean now it is more than a decade later and i'm a bit bitter still. even after playing it myself and getting the bug i'm still like 'dude the show only lasts 3 hours get your butt out of the chair for a bit.' :mad: :spank: :gripe:

i was interested in what he was doing, so during commercial breaks i read the manual. stereotype alert: he's a guy, he of course hadn't ever opened the manual, and i'm a girl so i do read 'em. i'd come across something complicated and kept going "OMG honey this is too confusing for me! what does X mean? how the heck do you do Y?" he laughed and said "i'll show you later."

so, a couple days later i started my first game. he watched, and i asked him for help at times but that can be tricky. i didn't like him telling me 'nono do this not what you're doing' all the time, if you know what i mean. if i ask for advice that's cool, but i wanted to learn it, not have him pressure me or make me feel dumb. and we have different styles, i'm generally more of a build-first annihilate-later type than he is. it went smoothly tho.

after a while i was more hooked on it than he was! at one point my central air conditioning was broken, needed total replacement not just repair. i bought a window unit for the bedroom until i could afford to buy a new central. i of course moved a pc into the bedroom so that i could play civ2 and not boil to death. priorities baybee!

then going to visit my parents at christmas i found out my dad was a serious civ2 addict. i mentioned some changes i'd made to rules.txt for when i wanted different kinds of games (i miss how easy civ2 was to mod, but love how helpful CFC is to figure out how to mod parts of civ4, and how generous folks are in sharing what they've already done). dad had never touched rules.txt to change anything, so he had me send him the files with mods in them (like i made things upgrade that normally wouldn't, i forget what now specifically).

i remember one civ 2 game i saved, and worked on when i wanted something mindless, where i left one enemy city standing, totally starved them out with troops on just about every square, and a sea blockade, and FILLED the map up with cities. got my population up as much as i possibly could, went full luxury at the end for complete happiness and got a huge high score. mailed the save game to my dad and he thought i was crazy (for SOME reason). he's still addicted. he recently lost his civ4 disc1 and emailed me in a panic to send him mine FedEx and he'd send it back, luckily he found it the next day before i'd gone out to send mine.

i did eventually forgive hubby, who is now officially hubby, we got married in june 1996, the same year of the oscar incident, which shows i can be a VERY forgiving person given the magnitude of his sin there. but i'm still a bit bitter.
so anyway, after my long ramble ... i guess it depends on her being curious enough to want to try it out. i don't recommend making promises to spend time with her away from the pc and then breaking them since you can't pull yourself away from civ like in the Candy household. did i mention i'm still bitter about that oscar thing? if she does try it out, be helpful in whatever style she likes, you know what that is i'm sure. like, i didn't want to feel like he was playing for me, i wanted to jump in and just have him on-call to answer my questions; she might like more hand-on direction. but i vote don't warmonger her into the ground on MP the first week, that might be a bit discouraging *giggle*.

FastWorker: i think CS is counterstrike, but i'm guessing from memory of what friends told me. i'm far too old to actually know these pop culture references :p.

Unfortunately, there's only one option for guys, which doesn't actually apply to me. I chose it anyways.

My wife doesn't mind me playing Civ, since I've learned to control my time on it.

Marc

I am a Civ4 player, playing Beyond the Sword at this time!! Noble or Higher level - I just started moving up into the next 2 higher levels and not doing too bad!

I am Married, mid 40s, grown children!!!

Ok, DH and I both play alot of Civ. He is still stuck on Civ3 Play the World. I keep telling him now that I have moved up to Beyond the Sword he should be playing Warlords!!!!!

Top Bottom