Arts & Entertainment subforum is very much abandoned

What should be done?

• Total voters

God of Kings

Ruler of all heads of state
Apparently, many users abandoned the Arts & Entertainment subforum and post discussions about films and television programs, as well as other creative works, in the Off Topic subforum instead.

Please vote in the poll above and state your rationale.

This is a topic that was debated fairly hotly a couple years back. I'm pretty happy with the result of that debate: if you want a quieter more thoughtful more intimate discussion on Art-related topics you can use A&E. If you want more eyeballs on your thread or if you don't like the A&E subforum for whatever reason you can use OT. I don't really see what the problem is here.

As I've said numerous times this has been brought up: Keep it as is!

Probably just merge them. The reason why is because the current A&E doesn't have a minimal number of people to sustain any conversation which leads to a negative feedback loop of no one visiting it because there's no one posting.

no posts => no visitors => no posts

If you separate the Current Politics and Current Events or whatever the same thing will happen and people will just return to the "off topic" subforum as its the only one (of the subforums not about civ) that has a sufficient user base.

Perhaps with the new xenforo forum website they'll install tags or something so people can filter/sort by tags in their subforum of choice.

Apparently, many users abandoned the Arts & Entertainment subforum and post discussions about films and television programs, as well as other creative works, in the Off Topic subforum instead.

Please vote in the poll above and state your rationale.
Ohforpetessake, not this again! :mad:

A&E is NOT abandoned. Yes, some of the discussions stagnate in between seasons of certain TV shows. There's not a lot of point in daily discussions of Doctor Who when the only Doctor Who episode we get this year is a Christmas special. It'll pick up next year.

There are numerous threads to do with webcomics and writing. I run a writing competition in that forum - an activity that would be utterly lost in the morass of politics, religion, and serial threads that OT has become.

I'm so sick of the complaining that people don't want to use A&E for discussions of TV, movies, books, and art "because nobody goes there." I've seen tremendously successful art/media-related subforums on other sites - when the staff strictly enforce it that such topics are to be posted ONLY in the art/media subforum.

It's really rich, how the people who tend to post threads like this once a year are people who have little to zero interest in A&E anyway.

Have some consideration. If you want to talk about writing, there's a place for it. Ditto webcomics and other visual art (the DYOS people were shuffled around this site for years like unwanted clutter, before finding a home in A&E; to the best of my knowledge, they're happy to remain there).

@leif erikson: This is good to know. I'm just really tired of the annual "merge A&E" threads, usually started by someone who has no interest or stake in the issue.

My take: allow controversial discussions in A&E and the other sibling forums to OT (Sports Talk comes to mind).

Example: someone starts a thread on Designated Survivor, the TV show. The discussion quickly devolves into Washington politics. Allow it.

Example 2: Secrets and Lies thread (another TV show). Discussion devolves into police abuse, people falsely convicted of murder, the death penalty. Allow it.

This is controversial talk discussing the parallels between the fictional show and real life (or deceptively false parallels to RL, depending on where you stand).

Top Bottom