Ashes of Erebus (RifE's Follow-up) Download and Bug Reports

Two things with 303:

1. Hafgan's units are not getting XP when razing the city (although the auto razing does work).
2. Razing the last rival city is not resulting in a conquest victory.

I'm going to commit myself to trying to assist with troubleshooting with the Python problem, as it effects me. I'm finding world builder often won't load, so that'll be my go-to testing point, since I'm sure the other interface problems are related. Sorry to be wordy here, but I'm just going to info dump since I don't know what will or won't be helpful.

So I completely wiped out my 302 folder and redownloaded 303 via SVN. I also cleared my cache (and did so multiple times during this troubleshooting process). I ran with debug enabled and also had Process Monitor running to try to see what's going on in the background. I have the default modules enabled, and tried world builder both through the AoELauncher and by just launching BTS -> Load mod; the problem happens either way.

When opening World Builder, I get the attached in-game Python error. PythonErr.log says the same, but with an additional "ERR: Python function showWorldBuilderScreen failed, module CvScreensInterface".

I filtered Process Monitor with two separate filters: CvScreensInterface and CvWorldBuilderScreen. Both results were basically the same. When the game loads, there is no difference between what will be a working and non-working world builder (at least, not when it comes to these two Python files). When world builder is first open, I get a bunch of "H:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\CvScreensInterface" "no such file messages" (screenshot attached; I only included two of the no such file messages, but it goes on for awhile). If world builder opens successfully, neither of these files are referenced in process monitor. I also filtered by CvGameCoreDLL.dll in the mod folder, but didn't see anything interesting there.

I started a new game using "Play Now" and, multiple times, World Builder worked. I can, without needing to exit to desktop, load between the two saves and the Play Now save world builder will work - the custom game one won't. I've attached both saves, "WB Broken Hafgan" (which will also allow testing the two Hafgan bugs at the top of my post) and "WB Working Play Now".

Nothing is super standing out to me in the process monitor between the two saves except the broken game tries to create "\\eye.dds\" and "\\nec2.dds", each resulting in "object path invalid" errors... but I'd doubt that's what would be breaking everything?

Attachments

• CvScreensInterface.PNG
    CvScreensInterface.PNG
    184.9 KB · Views: 143
  • WB Working Play Now.CivBeyondSwordSave
    28.4 KB · Views: 126
  • WB Broken Hafgan.CivBeyondSwordSave
    33.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Procmon World Builder Fail.PNG
    Procmon World Builder Fail.PNG
    83.8 KB · Views: 154
Welp more CTD. RV 303 svn. figured i try update and see if i couldn't finish another game, no such luck. CTD after ending turn. But not right away some combats occur then it dies. Compared to the last post i made i'm running fewer moduals. Only packaged one minus hamstlfar and greatest people.

Cleared cache, backed up a few turns and tried to vary things. Turned on various logging and debug options this time around, but all they got me was a 2G crashdump file.

Barely made it past 100 turns this time. :wallbash:

Oh well, on to another round see if i get lucky.

Edit: this issue seems to affect every game i try now. Unavoidable crash around turn 100 give or take. Short of reinstalling Civ 4 BTS(something i would rather not do given my low quality intenet) I don't know what to try. I finished 2 games on rv 302 without substantial issue, then the python bug appeared so i reinstalled via sourceforge to get rid of that. Then 200ish turn Illians game i posted about before happend. Updated to rv 303 and now down to 100ish turns.

:help::help::help::help:

Attachments

• mechanos crach.CivBeyondSwordSave
    366 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Still playing r302. Enion's defender trait does not seem to give units Homeland promotion. No unit got it until turn 150.

Ok, progress for once, the worldbuilder error message led me to a thread from 2013 in C2C subforums where they seemed to have a similar issue. Will read through it to see if it got fixed.

So apparently, their similar python issues may have disappeared after doing a large-scale xml cleanup using their validating tool. So i did the same, we'll see if that improved anything ( commit 304)

When we post things here, such as Python exceptions, would it be helpful to also list the game settings we're using? (I also post crash dump files, since usually the crashes are too irregular to be able to post a saved game from right before the crash.) I ask because I play with specific game and map settings, so is it possible that those are affecting what happens?

Still getting the same world builder Python exceptions on 304 with a new custom game. I cleared the cache and tried again, but got the same error.

Game settings (as displayed in-game):
Leader: Hafgan
Difficulty: Settler
Map: ErebusContinent (Duel size, temperate, medium sea level, high cohesion, advanced terrain on, smart climate off, ancient city ruins off, "Default" for all settings where that's specified)
Speed: Quick (ancient starting era)
Options: Flavour Start
Rivals Met: Elder Malasa of Hamstalfar
Victory Types: Everything but the "quick" victories

Attachments

• r304 WB Broken.CivBeyondSwordSave
    32.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
can you stop transferring the errors between each other each time i attempt a fix please ? ^^

More seriously, any progress on the rest of the python errors ?
Only had the on-startup event spam once out of five so far, and in that case the game crashed before it loaded the map.

Should note (RE previous post) that it ends up looking like this afterwards:
Spoiler :
wbremains.png

but if I click on one of the mana icons (to open Pedia) then exit I can then access the menu.

EDIT: Ofc I say that then get the spam. Should note that the spam is for C++ exceptions rather than Python (at least in that instance) - if it comes up again I'll take screenshots.

EDIT2: Got a game-crashing spam again. C++ exceptions in the ErebusContinent mapscript apparently.

EDIT3: Setup a WorldOfErebus game and had no WB problem.

Last edited:
My attempt to fix problems like python error/no interface/CTD on map generating/happiness icon missing etc (Win 10, steam version Civ4):

1. Change my Windows locale to English (my native language isn't English);
2. Right-click Civ4:BtS in Steam, click "Properties" -> "Betas" tab -> choose "original_release_unsupported";
3. Set both AoELauncher.exe (in AoE mod folder) and Civ4BeyondSword.exe (in BtS folder) to run as administrator and under Win7 compatibility mode;
4. Run the game using AoELauncher.exe. Problem solved!

A few more crash dump files attached. This is from SVN Revision 304. If it helps, I'm using Windows 10, *not* using the Steam version of BtS but the standard one.

Here's the sequence of events (in all cases I used the AoE Launcher to start the mod):

First I did a "Play Now" game and got a bunch of python exceptions at startup, resulting in no UI, so exited to Desktop.

Did a second "Play Now" game and was able to start a new game without any problems. I exited to Desktop to try to start with my preferred options (listed further down).

Started a new Custom Game with my preferred options, which include End of Winter, but the world didn't start frozen. So exited to Desktop again and started another Custom Game with the same options. This time the game started up successfully but crashed when I founded my first city. I tried to reload the Autosave from Turn 1 to see if I could replicate the CtD but this time the mod wouldn't load, but crashed -- that happened twice., so the attachment has three Crash Dump files.

My Custom Game options are the following, if it helps:

Default Modules

Map: Tectonics 316
Map Size: Huge
Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Landmass Type: 60% Water
Aridity Level: Random
Team Start: Team Neighbors
Twelve Civs to start (instead of the default 11 for a Huge map, since I start with more land area)

Raging Barbarians
End of Winter
Wildlands
Blessing of Amathaon
Living World
Wild Mana
Feral Mana
Mana Guardians
No Liberation
All Unique Features
Broader Alighments
Dark Forests
Restrict Random Civilizations -- I Lock the Hamstalfar. Frozen are Locked because of No Liberation

I do not use the Flavour Start option.

Default Victory Conditions.

Hope that's helpful.

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword.exe.10752.zip
    25.1 KB · Views: 144
Can you try @dvshi 's method to see if there's an improvement ?

Well I skipped steps 1 and 2, because my Windows is already in English and I have the non-Steam version of BtS, so did only steps 3 and 4. Successfully started a "Play Now" game, then exited to Desktop and successfully started a game using my preferred Custom settings and was able to found my first city without a crash. Played a few turns, exited to Desktop and then reloaded my most recent Autosave (starting the game using the AoE Launcher) and again no crash. It's only a few turns, but so far so good. Won't be playing too much today, I don't think, but at least for now this seems to be working.

Python exception, screenshot attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    917.3 KB · Views: 141
ah that one's interesting, it seems there's a city that has OO and yet has no religion.

can i get the save file ? (and the modules you're using ?)

also, is it repeatable ?

finally, if can't run it due to memory issue, can i give you a dll to test it ?

Last edited:
ah that one's interesting, it seems there's a city that has OO and yet has no religion.

can i get the save file ? (and the modules you're using ?)

also, is it repeatable ?

finally, if can't run it due to memory issue, can i give you a dll to test it ?

Actually, I quit that game, not because of the python issue -- it didn't cause the game to crash -- but because my second city got razed and I didn't think my capital would hold out against the barbarians, so decided to start a new game. Sorry, that means I don't have the save. I was just using the default modules. And yes, that particular python exception did repeat. I would first click on "OK," then on "Cancel" at the bottom of the screen, at which point the standard Religion Adviser screen would appear.

Top Bottom