At The Start : Exploring with your American GP Vs getting caught by barbarians

Flower

Warlord
Hi, I would like to know when the barbarians attack? Do they get out of their camps when you have produce a unit... is it a number of turns??? I know that AMerican players explore with their GP but I have lost some caravans in some games to barbarians. Now I only move 2 tiles and keep a movement... but what about that GP at the start of the game? Do you only move 1 tile per turn?

Best regards,
FLower

In my experience, as long as your last move does not leave your unit right next to a barbarian village, your unit will be safe from attack. The only time I have seen barbs leave their village is if you lose a battle against them.

You can get wandering barbarians on King & Emperor levels, but they are fairly rare. I think in the few cases I've seen them, I've spotted their village, but haven't actually attacked it. They eventually wander out looking for someone to fight.

Oh, and just because you end your move adjcent to the village doesn't mean they will attack - even caravans & spies. There certainly is the risk though.

Once a barbarian village hits 3 pop (3flags) they can send a barbarian out for a stroll :p

Played a game today where a barb took out the greeks :p
I was attacking the greek capital of Athens, and I cleared it using bombers, ended my turn, and to my surprise some barbarians walked in and removed the village!

Laughed, but was mad because my domination win couldn't be completed....

I only play on Deity and have never had barbs wander out on their own looking for a fight unless I lost a battle with them first. But then again I don't let them sit there long enough to come out of there villages...

As a rule of thumb I try and never leave a caravan, spy or gp next to a village because they are too valuable to lose...

Once a barbarian village hits 3 pop (3flags) they can send a barbarian out for a stroll :p

Played a game today where a barb took out the greeks :p
I was attacking the greek capital of Athens, and I cleared it using bombers, ended my turn, and to my surprise some barbarians walked in and removed the village!

Laughed, but was mad because my domination win couldn't be completed....

You can still win by domination if barbs take a capital

all barb villages contain 1 flag until 3600bc, then from 3500bc and forward they have 2 flags, after a while barbs that contain 3 flags(3 units) will sometimes send one out, or if your warrior is next to it, it will attack it

all barb villages contain 1 flag until 3600bc, then from 3500bc and forward they have 2 flags, after a while barbs that contain 3 flags(3 units) will sometimes send one out, or if your warrior is next to it, it will attack it

Why do you keep saying things you don't know? It's USUALLY 3500 BC 2 flags and 3000 BC 3 flags, but a lot of times they could have it by 3800/3700 BC (2-3 flags) if you meet them.

It's at turn 5-6 that they get their first aditional flag....the other flags spawn time may vary.

That is a fact morte, NEVER have I met a barb in 3800 BC with 2 flags (tried with China, America, Aztec, Russia, Egypt, ....never seen it happen.)

It's at turn 5-6 that they get their first aditional flag....the other flags spawn time may vary.

That is a fact morte, NEVER have I met a barb in 3800 BC with 2 flags (tried with China, America, Aztec, Russia, Egypt, ....never seen it happen.)

You still have to play more than, and experience more things. That's a fact, barbarians have ALWAYS 2 flags after 5 turns, 3 after 10, but they can have already 2 flags by 3800 BC or 3 flags if you met them the first turn.

That is a fact, you need more experience before saying I'm wrong

Hmmmm.....Just because I'm a fan of you :p

I have tried it and indeed, by using America and sendin both the settler and the GP in 2 different directions (barb searching) I found 2 barbs.
1 of those barbarians (near my GP) got a second flag in 3900 BC.

Darned Morte, how did you find it out that fast!
-took me quite some games last night.....about 30 or so...

So we can say it gets to 2 flags in 3900-3500 BC; but 3500 happens most of the time (say 95% of your games).

Hmmmm.....Just because I'm a fan of you :p

I have tried it and indeed, by using America and sendin both the settler and the GP in 2 different directions (barb searching) I found 2 barbs.
1 of those barbarians (near my GP) got a second flag in 3900 BC.

Darned Morte, how did you find it out that fast!
-took me quite some games last night.....about 30 or so...

So we can say it gets to 2 flags in 3900-3500 BC; but 3500 happens most of the time (say 95% of your games).

2 flags by 3500 like 3 in 3000 is normal, then 100% of the times, but, haven't you seen yet that "the egyptian player has got conquered by barbarians" ?

I mean after 3-4 turns, meaning the barbs got 3 flags, not only 2.

Lolz, I'd be really angry if I'd get owned by barbarians :p
-But then again, I never leave my capital unprotected (or i tend to keep an eye on my surroundings...)

But hey, the thing is; it doesn't happen a lot at all

"2 flags by 3500 like 3 in 3000 is normal"

This is also my experience, and why I try to reach barbarian villages before 3500.

I know I have seen barbarian villages with two flags in 3900 BC, but this is very, very rare.
Then it becomes slightly more likely with the second flag for each spent turn.
My estimation is that 90% of the barbarian villages gets their second flag in exactly 3500BC, and their third flag in 3000 bc.
When exploring with caravans or great persons (americans) I am careful to avoid enemy civs military, but totally ignore the threats from barbarians until 3000 BC.
This works just fine all the time.
Almost...

Barbs start with 1 flag. They gain a flag in 3500 BC. They also gain a flag when a friendly village reveals the barb.

So if you take a friendly village with your caravan, spy or GP, don't end your turn next to a barb. The barb will spawn and take your unit.

I use the strategy all the time where I'll send my great person out to explore. In my history the I've never had a barbarian take my gp. you should feel comfortable if Theres only like two flags that's fine. I've literally set my great person next to a barbarian village at two flags and they didn't take it. I only stayed for one turned though and didnt spent two turns hanging out next to the same barbarian village. I believe once they acquire three flags is when they start being aggressive in going out for a stroll I could be wrong though. I play on diety and 2 flags is OK. After I notice I'm exploring in other civ territory or I feel uncofterable I only move GP one tile at time in case if I moved inna bad spot.

They can attack any time after gaining that 2nd flag, but it's extremely rare for them to send out a free roaming barb until 3 flags unless you have a defenseless unit nearby (Settler, Caravan, GP, Spy, etc.) There appear to be some stipulations though. In the early game, there appears to be less of a chance of 2 flags attacking your units in general and they will leave defenseless units alone as long as you don't remain next to them for more than a turn. Rule of thumb is it's ok to stop next to a hut with a defenseless unit for a turn, but you should make sure you don't end another turn next to the same hut or risk them taking it. Also, later in the game they get more willing to move out at 2 flag, while 3 flag or 4 flag huts will almost always attack any unit that is adjacent to them (quite hilarious when you're cleaning up island huts with KT or a tank) and they'll also chase defenseless units across the map after 3 flag quite often.

Certain events also seem to make the barbs grow such as: making contact through a friendly village, other civs having units in the area, defenseless units in sight range of the hut, etc.

Top Bottom