ATI Raedon 9800 and it works! read.

stumben

Chieftain
I posted this in general. If any of you mods want to move either post to a different forum, feel free!

Ok guys, there is hope! Heres my scoop.

First off, I have windows 2k. I just did a CLEAN install of windows 2k. I had to do it anyway, my machine was a mess - I did not even ATTEMPT to run this game before. I am getting a new machine in 3 weeks so I did not bother to get windows xp.

All I did since the fresh install
1.Download windows 2k service pack 4.
2.Downloaded the latest ATI driver. - 5.10. Note I am not sure if this is the same as the "latest" release to patch quake 4.
3.Downloaded the latest SB live sound card drivers ( I have the OLD sb live )
4.Installed Civilization IV - let it install direct X. Express install I did not check the multiplayer firewall option.
5.Ran Civilization IV
6.Prayed
7.Watched the breathtaking opening music,movie, started up a single player game, ran quite GOOD so far! Nice graphics, NO ERRORS at all. granted I played for a whopping 2 minutes.
8. Came right to post this

Now for some system specs.
Athalon 1.8 thunderbird ( oldy but a goody )
512 Ram
ATI Raedon 9800 128mb
Soundblaster Live
Fresh install of Windows 2k service pack 4 as stated above.

I might note, that of late I have had some bizarre driver issues since I attempted to play F.E.A.R and let it install the latest direct X. Certain games would pop up strange ati errors and nothing I could do fixed it until this fresh reformat. I am not saying this is at all related.

I am also not implying that a fresh re-format should be required to fix the renderer issue so many are having.

But, I am implying, it may require specific drivers with specific video cards with specific OS - until they patch and get it straight.

Hope this helps, I just want to add, the game looks amazing...so far.

**edit - I will stick around for a little while in case anyone wants some more info. I really really REALLY feel for the frustrated people who cant run the game yet***

You ain't over the hump yet, my friend. I have a 9800 Pro that ran the game perfectly well for a couple of hours. Then, the screen got funkified, and I decided to restart the program. That didn't help. I restarted Windows XP. That didn't help. I upgraded to SP2 for XP and updated the drivers. That didn't help. It's rather strange.

I also have it working well with a radeon card, for now anyway.

Win xp, Dell 8300 w/ 2.8 GHz processor, 1 GB ram, radeon 9800xt. I had just uninstalled and re-installed the catalyst 5.10 drivers for another game, and everything seems to be working fine.

Top Bottom