[BTS] Attempting to beat deity (video)

dfg26

Chieftain
So I had thread over a year ago where I was looking for tips for improving my game. I still wanted to do something similar but really didn't feel like continuing such an old game. And I frankly find it a bit tedious to keep writing everything down, taking screenshots, etc. so I felt like this let's play type of format could work.

Now, technically I have won an OCC space race on deity before, but that's such a niche case which is so dependent on everything going your way, I feel like it doesn't quite count. (And I have AP cheesed before, which really doesn't count :mischief:)

This is my first time recording my gameplay or doing any kind of commentary on it, so go easy on the technical quality and my commentary, but feel free to rip my gameplay apart as much as you like :lol: I know I made many mistakes already.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    38.2 KB · Views: 113
Just watched the opening. I have never worked 3:hammers: after worker is already done. 3:food: is equal yield and growing is more important. I would probably work a better tile like a lake when commerce is an issue, but a 3:hammers:hill is not really great. You wanted your warrior sooner?

Watched some +30 mins, first comments here. :)

You should turn on the setting that shows in how many turns a city will grow and a build will finish. The same for <F4> glance screen, it should show not only faces, but also a numerical value for diplo stance. No idea how to turn these on though.

I think a quick warrior is ok (on deity), but voluntarily moving it next to a barb archer (even to a forested hill) was a bit reckless (at 8:05 onwards). Especially as Shaka's scout was there to suicide and perhaps wound the barb archer a bit. Maybe the talking distracted you? Not moving away from the barb warrior at 14:50 was also very reckless. That barb warrior is fog busting for you, so no reason to take the fight, when losing would be a disaster for you. At 17:25 I suppose you just missed that the archer had moved next to you...

I think a settler at size two was called for, growing to work farmed wine or a forest just gives one :hammers: thus delaying the settler a lot. I think 2nd city should have food at the first ring. I'd just go 1N of corn and grab copper with 3rd city. This means I'd defend the first wave of barbs with warriors, but I don't think there would be many. You let your warriors die which made things a lot harder.

Starting with a worker in your 2nd city is usually bad. If you need a worker, it's better to grow and then chop/whip at size 2. This is because growing costs only 22:food: and that is transformed into 30:hammers: via whip while slowbuilding transforms :food: to :hammers: at 1:1 ratio.

You needed to road the desert 1W of York and then 1NW on the plains hill. Now the river connects your cities. River tiles outside of your culture are not connected via the river! Anyway, improving copper was more urgent. Building barracks in your capital was a waste of :hammers:. Early game you should just build settlers/workers and some warriors for safety.

You seem completely at a loss with what to do with your workers so you build pointless roads. You should chop! Expanding as fast and hard as possible is mandatory if you want to beat deity consistently.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Since there seems to be some interest, I'll make a second part, hopefully by tuesday next week. I also uploaded the save if somebody wants to play along.

35:20 when AH is in, you should immediately pasture cows and pigs, asap, everything else like roading is secondary.

38:00 you should switch to slavery while your settler is moving (at the latest, could've switched a lot earlier). You are working weak tiles in capital and should look into whipping granary and growing onto cottages. Your worker management needs a lot of work... One of the best advice I've read on this forum in the past few years (by Lain? Pedro?) was that workers should 1)improve food 2)chop 3)cottage 4)connect 5)mine. In this order. You've spent tons on worker turns on roads with very marginal use. I think you are playing way too fast. Maybe Lain can play this fast, but his worker management is nearly flawless and things that are hard for you are automatic for him.

44:30 you should really just figure out how to get more cities down. There are two fishes I think and the weak corn-spot in NE. I don't think pre-chopping is most useful, I'd just cottage non-river grassland tiles in your capital. The mine is not very useful as you should be 3-pop whipping settlers in your capital. You are building axes that are not of much use. It looks like you are a bit late for Mids.

54:00 I don't think a library is such a great idea. I'd rather have another city. Or have those :hammers: towards Mids.

57:40 Hastings is founded. You could've anticipated the turn when it's settled to have a chop immediately. Then borrow the cow and the boat is only 4T away. Such "micro" is extremely important to make your cities contribute as fast as possible.

59:30 I think it's too early to run scientists, because you haven't expanded much and your capital is very small. You are not going to be able to bulb philo in 17T so I'm assuming you are going for an academy, but I don't think this capital is good enough to justify that.

I think learning how to improve your early game would improve your play a lot. I'm assuming you are already watching some Lain https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBiPHqnZ3mwIqtraltox6jg , mainly focusing on the first 75T or so.

Top Bottom