Average player seeking to improve

Alashiya

Warlord
HI,I'm not a complete newbie to Civ 6 I'm trying to resolve weak points and mistakes in my game play and I've made the switch to Canada after playing as Scotland for quite some time

my first question is
  1. Should I settle at the very starting point where my settler first appears?

Should I settle at the very starting point where my settler first appears?
There is a zillion tips on this on youtube and many have a slightly different take.
Moving 1-2 turns is fine even 3 for a very tgood tile but you are losing time (production and growth) by doing so, therefopre your move needs to be worth it.
So for example your city is going to make 6 production per turn but by moving for 2 turns you can make 7 per turn... you just lost 12 production but also gained +1 for the rest of the game.
Settling on anything that is not destroyed... which provides more than 2 food 1 production gives that advantage.
Also better tiles within the first 2 rings of your city
Just beware hills make you more visible (you can be seen from 3 tiles while can only see 2 tiles yourself) and moving may move you closer to another civ which may get quite annoyed.

I allready post a topic about it but let me copy paste it to here also for you. Hope those will help.

1- Starting location – Choosing Capital City location
In general, if there will be minimum one luxury resource near your borders it is a great benefit. In the beginning of the game when you have only 1 city, luxury resource can be traded for money with other civs and boost your economy. (Later in the game you need those precious luxuries for amenity)

Don’t loose so much time settling your first city. Usually, maximum 1-2 tile away of your start location you should settle. In order to move 2 turns without making your city, there must be god like resources. If the place you started is so much bad just restart the game for a better starting position.

Second important thing is where ever you will settle your income will be always base 2F1P + every bonus that tile will give you, except woods and jungle hence they will be destroyed while you settle on them. So, try to find some place which has more than 3 yields. Especially extra production is really handy in the beginning. Sometimes directly settling on the luxury resource is also a good alternative. Don’t forget in the future your city can grow 3 tiles max to every direction. But in the beginning the first adjacent tiles are your concern.

2- Other city placements
Always use adjacency bonuses while planning your other cities. From my experience 4-6 tiles away from each other is good placement. But of course, it can change according to the map and all other parameters. Don’t forget about factory (industrial district) and power bonusses. (coal, oil or nuclear) Especially district placement and bonuses to each other is so much important. Different cities’ districts can also give each other bonuses don’t worry.

3- Loyalty problem
Your loyalty is directly proportional with your near cities and their pressure. The more crowded cities you have near your cities the more pressure they will give. So again, always plan ahead while settling. Use your + loyalty opportunities carefully:
-There is some great person who is permanently giving loyalty. Try to recruit him.
-Use governors and their plus loyalty bonus. (Victor has some + loyalty bonus rather than +8)
-Use civic cards for loyalty bonusses if needed. (Garrisoned unit +2 loyalty etc..)
-Construct governor plaza district carefully hence you can only construct it once in your all civilization and it is giving good bonus to loyalty to the city that is constructed.

4- Wonders
If you are playing Deity don’t even bother building one. Try to conquer the civ’s who already build them. Never ever start a wonder if you are not sure if you can finish it. Use harvest resource for extra production if needed. Always keep an eye for the great persons, who can give + production to wonder buildings. Focus on wonders who are giving bonusses like extra policy card like Forbidden City, they are really perfect choice. In my humble experience don’t focus on ancient wonders at all.

Moving 1 turn might be ok if you get a plains hills as a result (more production). But in general it's not a big deal, settling in place will pretty much never be a huge mistake. The way the game works, your starting location will almost never be terrible. If it doesn't look good initially, there are probably hidden resources. If this hidden resources get revealed during the early game, you will be ok (a seamingly mediocre starting location might be excellent a few turns later if it turns out there are horses and iron nearby).

Once again this all depends on settings.
If you are playing new age and wet you are usually going to have plenty of everything.
Just playing on Standard/Standard Pangaea Low Sea I have many games where the starting land is horrid.
Perhaps its a bunch of Desert, Tundra, Grassland or Floodplains all over the place.
I certainly will move to get the capital off of flooding.
Some games you spawn close to an amazing Natural Wonder so moving to pick up those tiles works good too.
I will move if I don't have a bunch of chops and my spawn is on a chop.
I will move to settle on a lux which helps in the early game.
This idea that your spawn location is rarely terrible is not my experience.
I have had many terrible spawns but usually the AI isn't doing so great on that particular map either.
I wouldn't doubt that I move 50% of my games one or two turns.
I will move to get out of the volcano ring as well.
Of course you don't want to move blindly... you want to have a good reason for moving.

Worse case possible:

Move settler. Warrior away. Click next turn. Major flood. Settler wiped. gg.

Tips:

Get closer from forested/jungled tiles. Especially the 2p/2f ones. Settle on a luxury if possible. Preferably plantations.

If coastal try to anticipate a bit more your district locations. Try to settle with some land tiles in front of you instead of behind.

There is a zillion tips on this on youtube and many have a slightly different take.
Moving 1-2 turns is fine even 3 for a very tgood tile but you are losing time (production and growth) by doing so, therefore your move needs to be worth it.
So for example your city is going to make 6 production per turn but by moving for 2 turns you can make 7 per turn... you just lost 12 production but also gained +1 for the rest of the game.
Settling on anything that is not destroyed... which provides more than 2 food 1 production gives that advantage.
Also better tiles within the first 2 rings of your city
Just beware hills make you more visible (you can be seen from 3 tiles while can only see 2 tiles yourself) and moving may move you closer to another civ which may get quite annoyed.

Tank you Victoria, I appreciate some of my questions might be a bit newbie I apologise in advance for that it's just moving one or two tiles nearer to luxuries rather than a settler-trek these are shortcomings in my gameplay I need to remove if I wish to graduate to deity level

question 2: how do I overcome the player loses 3 diplomatic victory points during world congress votes? this is despite having literally 1000s of diplomatic favour points

how do I overcome the player loses 3 diplomatic victory points during world congress votes? this is despite having literally 1000s of diplomatic favour points
The idea is to get all the ‘free’ points first then go in for the last when there is only 2 left... the first 2 normal votes are decided first and if you get them you have won.
You can also vote against yourself if you know you are going to lose.
I do not play enough of it to know it very well as I dislike it but the idea is to limit other people’s votes as much as possible. If I was to play it a lot more I think you can get people to vote for you by always servicing their requests but that’s just a guess.

The idea is to get all the ‘free’ points first then go in for the last when there is only 2 left... the first 2 normal votes are decided first and if you get them you have won.

this is the bit where I need to raise my game. given my kind of pacifist/strictly defensive playing style (I like to focus on tech & culture) Canada seems to be quite good fun once you get into top position the other civs tend to gang up on you (its a pain)

They will gang up on any leader. You need to get all the dip points so for a starter you need a religion.

Thanks again Vic, religion is an aspect I tend to neglect

Top Bottom