AVI files

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by CivFan91, Apr 9, 2006.

1. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

Is there a way to rip video out of an AVI file? Or make it play silently? I want to use an AVI in a project but the sound doesn't fit.

2. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

you could use virtualdub
    it does all that and a lot more, might need some time getting used to, but just ripping some scened out is pretty easy

3. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

I tried to open a .avi file with it and got this error:

4. Grisu

it probably means that you don't have the proper codecs (Divx 5.0 in this case) installed. you can get the DivX codec at DivX.com.
    If you use many video files with different codecs there are various codec-packs out there that install a whole lot of different codecs on your system (though these can sometimes cause system instabilities....)

5. CivFan91

CivFan91 Emperor

OK, I can open the .avi file. But how do I make it so there's no sound? I want an avi that's exactly the same as before, but without the sound. :confused:

6. Grisu

in the video menu, select "Direct Stream Copy" (this will copy the video information 1:1 without changing anything), in the audio menu you select "No Audio" (you guessed it, this will omit the audio data). then you go file->save avi (or something like that) :)