Avoiding Conquerors

deanej

Deity
What's the best strategy to avoid conquerors as a new world civ these days? It used to be work boats, but how do you do it now with the new work boat rules and expanded conqueror area? I got lucky in one game as the Maya where the Spanish conquerors spawned on a one tile island, but I had several attempts as the Inca that got aborted due to conquerors, particularly the Dutch coming from the west.

can't you do the workboat trick with a normal galley?
or just drop a unit on an island as far east as possible to greet europeans when they come to conquer

Can you get a galley fast enough as the Aztec or Inca? You still have the expanded area though; in my experience, you don't have to see their land to get conquerors. That's actually how my Maya game went: my galley met a Spanish caravel in the eastern Caribbean, and the conquerors spawned in the one tile island just south of Cuba. But the Aztec and Inca spawn much closer to colonization. The Inca also start on the wrong side of South America and have travel time to consider, and no naval unit but a caravel will help if someone comes from the west (as happened in 2/3 of my Inca attempts)

With Inca just put a galley in tierra del fuego that should stop european conquerors.

or just drop a unit on an island as far east as possible to greet europeans when they come to conquer

Then they just show up from the west. Gets me every time. :(

Top Bottom