[R&F] Bad idea to focus on culture?

Question

King
I tried playing Pericles and focusing on culture early on with early acropolises.

Meanwhile, the AI all rushed commercial hubs and I missed out on a lot of juicy great merchant bonuses that gave +1 trade routes. You can steal great works of arts but you cant get the other GP bonuses via any other means.

Being ahead in the civic race doesnt mean much either...policy cards are nowhere near as powerful as the empire wide bonuses you got in civ 5 or beyond earth, while being ahead in the tech race can easily be game changing.

Also many of the inspiration boosts are tied to researching something so you want to have both tech and civis keep pace with each other ideally...

Try thinking of it the other way : acropolis are great at generating culture, so you don't need to spam them. That's the same with Korea : the campus is super strong, so I can focus on building other things.

Meanwhile, the AI all rushed commercial hubs and I missed out on a lot of juicy great merchant bonuses that gave +1 trade routes. You can steal great works of arts but you cant get the other GP bonuses via any other means.
Missing out on science is one thing but a trade route?... nah
Lots of culture is great a Peri and v powerful if you push CS suze. The impact is not noticeable until you start filling those museums, before you know it you are at globalisation and that’s what you are aiming for.

Missing out on science is one thing but a trade route?... nah
Lots of culture is great a Peri and v powerful if you push CS suze. The impact is not noticeable until you start filling those museums, before you know it you are at globalisation and that’s what you are aiming for.
I'm also playing a game as Kongo. His ability make me decide to build TD first instead of Campus or CH. But they come a bit later compare to Campus/CH so I'm actually starting my first district a bit later than ever. And I don't have enough production for wonder thus they nearly don't have any adj bonus at all. Actually I got my first GW only in late classic and it also cost a lot of production tu build a amphitheater for them. My culture output is great but just don't have enough production for any eureka so I doubt whether or not I'm actually faster than ever? Also feel that I just need to hurry up campus as a 2nd district to boost up my research. Anything I'm missing?

Try to chop an early wonder like the Oracle if you go for theatre spam. That early boost saves a lot of time.
I feel like going for culture only is a little weak. You should combine it with either faith/religion or science.

I'd say the commercial hub is in a strange spot now.

My point was that missing out on great works is no big deal because you can steal/war to get them from other civs anyway. Other GP bonuses are not obtainable via any other means.

An extra trade route can mean a huge difference...especially since you need traders to make roads.

Falling behind on science can get you killed, falling behind on culture doesnt have anywhere near the same impact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom