Bad losers!

Noblebenj

Chieftain
So you finally manage to get an online game, only waited a few hours! Your first city is in a good location with some resources (not that it’s important anymore but is always nice) your fist warrior has stroll around and finds a hut and a couple or barb camps for a few bonuses and vet upgrade. A few turns later and you’ve bossed out a couple of settlers and started your archer army to stop the nutter next door with his invincible warriors (yeah right).

Things are looking good, this could be the game where you get to the frantic 20 turn rush at the end that sid was talking about!............ But wait, some one only needs to capture 3 more capitals to win, consequently someone has just left the game, never mind still two more humans left.

Then you see a settler wondering he must be lost, should you take him even though it will cause a war? your defensive armies are almost complete so why not. Expecting a legion army or 2 to come your way in a few turns but instead you get a message that your enemy has left the game WTF!

Hopefully new players will drop in? Before you can say this you have just won yet another game by domination!!! Should I be happy??? The last player obviously left, his dinner must have been ready or he wanted to play with more players to.
This has happened to me 3 times now I’m barely getting into the game before it’s over. Why are people so quick to give up if things aren’t going there way? Ok losing a major city is a big deal but in the early game there should be time to recover. Is this how civ rev onlines going to be? Or have I just been playing with bad losers?

Do you think that is bad?, but if you ever played Civilization IV online... There were bad losers...... after spending 5-10 hours in a game, after you captured a couple of your enemy cities he just left...... and one time I was playing for more than a day and the other guys just quit because I built a city blocking him access to coil.......
This happen in all games, not only in civ and I have to agree... bunch of bad losers :D .

It's easy to keep playing a game when you have a "winning position" but a lot harder with a "losing position." This is worst with civ4 like KAZUY4 wrote since very few people want to play a losing game for hours.
One of the problems is a lot of players do the exact same thing when they play single player. Something bad happens then start a new game. Unfortunately this bad habit carries over with online games.
I recommend playing "ladder" games if there is one started with Rev yet. I find most players stick around when it comes to ladders.

This happen in all games, not only in civ and I have to agree... bunch of bad losers :D .

Yeah it happens in all games, but more often in games like Civilization or RTS games like Warcraft.

I recommend playing "ladder" games if there is one started with Rev yet. I find most players stick around when it comes to ladders.

Best advice to avoid this in the future.

Also trie to build a solid 'friends list', whenever I play a good game (whatever game), in which the loser (in the case I do win :( ) does stick with it to the end, I'll add him to my friends list. This way, next time you don't have to join a random game, but just start with a game against someone in your list.

You can also 'send user feedback', not for the reason to screw him around, but for the fact that you have more chance to 'avoid' these people this way.

I imagine in a non-ranked game (2 players or 4 players) people will drop out for almost any reason. They may be trying an opening strategy and then bail afterwards to try another one. They may just get annoyed and quit. Maybe they only have 30 minutes to kill. There is no penalty for losing here so no incentive to play a full game other than courtesy which unfortunately is in limited supply in anonymous forums.

In a 2-player ranked game there is incentive to stay, but once you have a lost position that incentive is gone. I actually think in a long game like Civ there are conditions where resigning should be acceptable. It is customary in chess for instance: rarely is a game actually played to checkmate.

In a 4-player ranked game, even a losing position might be salvageable to get third place, which is better than last in the ranking formulas. So there is incentive to play even if you know you won't win.

what a bunch of sore-annoying-pain I'm the ass-losers! By the way, be thankful that you can even find a match, don't even me started.

I'm kinda spreading the word. join a ladder (google it) it's an independent ranking system and the youll get kicked out if you quit games all the time. open games are totally lame, ask any civ 3 online or civ 4 online veteran. they dont want anything to do with open games. There better be good ladder set up to turn my friend witht he ame onto or the online play will be stupid as open games in any of the other civ games. but trust me ladder ames with experienced players that won't quit is a blast and alot of time thell play really cool game varaitions (don't know how much of this is in civ rev online but civ 3 had awsome mods for multiplayer where you could get every unique unit with the right recource, wine would get you jaguars, diamonds immortals etcedra)

What is this "Ladder" business? I mean, I understand what a ladder system is, they've been used in sports for a long time, but there is not one available as an option on Civ Rev, or am I somehow missing something? I play on PS3, the only multiplayer options are player match, or ranked match. There isn't a ladder option under either of these categories.

Yeah quitting early gets really annoying and seems to happen in every game I play. The thing is, in Civ Rev, you can easily overcome some bad luck. Losing a city or something else doesn't mean you're done for, unlike in Civ IV where you can almost never come from behind.

What is this "Ladder" business? I mean, I understand what a ladder system is, they've been used in sports for a long time, but there is not one available as an option on Civ Rev, or am I somehow missing something? I play on PS3, the only multiplayer options are player match, or ranked match. There isn't a ladder option under either of these categories.

People are referencing an out of game ladder. Basically, someone gets a blog or site going that people sign up on and play pre-established games with each other. Easier to get solid people to stick around and play if you already did the legwork to join the ladder.

The ladder is viewed in the Extra's option at the main screen, go to leaderboards, and it shows the ladder for online multiplayer, and game of the week.

The multiplayer ladder is only modified by ranked matches, which give randomized opponents.

I have the PS3 copy also, my Screen name is Zackreaver if you ever want to play.

Thanks for that, add me too tonycawley. Technically the PS3 leaderboard is not a ladder though, it is just a leaderboard, similar to what they have in golf tournaments. For it to be a ladder you would have to be able to play the person one place above you or one place below, which can't be arranged on a ranked match.

People are referencing an out of game ladder. Basically, someone gets a blog or site going that people sign up on and play pre-established games with each other. Easier to get solid people to stick around and play if you already did the legwork to join the ladder.

Does the CivFanatics forum have one of these going and I've just missed it somehow? Linkage?

If you guys are that keen on playing this game competitively to the point where players won't quit out and leave and there's more incentive to stay then click on the link in my sig.

Finally, a post by pimp nasty that doesn't include "pimp", "bro" or something else like that. Well done.

Top Bottom