Bad Map/Placement = Restart

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by corrin, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Shakira42

Shakira42 Chieftain

I never restart because of local terrain.

I'll restart if I fubbed up a setting...difficulty, map size, etc, or if the random leader turns out to be one that I just played.

2. Antarion

Antarion Prince

that leads to the conclusion that there is nothing like crap land!

if you really got crap starting placement for a big city (which is nonsense, just focus on additional food income) then take liberty or honor...

3. corrin

corrin Chieftain

I'd say declare war and pass through his territory. Washington will get over it.

4. Larsenex

Larsenex King

I go a step further. Because I dislike the happiness situation I just make custom maps with custom starts. Its how I like to play. I am fully enjoying it. I dont play Multi player so I coud care less what someone thinks. I really really enjoy starting with 10 luxuries, 6 iron, 8 aluminum and 6 uranium. I just get a warm fuzzy all over. So when I do play on random I will regen but since we dont have a damn regen button I just create my own custom map with what I want near me....

5. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

This. I'll reload if I'm trying to get the fast move by moving your settler/worker 2 spaces, but you could have seen the barbarian after the first space for example. That just feels like a game limitation, why can't I get a "fast move" one hex at a time??

Just use legendary start, then you still get that great capital but the AI will, too.

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

I never restart. If you look at the map generation scripts, you can see that there are compensations for what look like bad starts.

7. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I do often reload. Don't want to invest 6-8 hours of my time in a map that doesn't interest me in some way. I'll even reload a good start position if it just seems too blah.

I do think that weak capital positions are often balanced out by stronger terrain elsewhere in your natural settlement area. Typically when I get a really awesome start spot the outlying areas are really bland, and vice versa.

8. Man vs Civ AI

Man vs Civ AI Chieftain

I agree. I play the game for fun and a good chance to win. Often I play against 21 other civs and I can't afford to have a bad start.

9. dayfax

dayfax Chieftain

^ This. Ever since I've started playing this series, I need elbow room. If another civ (especially an aggressive one) starts right on top of me, I'll restart immediately.

I rarely restart because of bad terrain.

10. codepoet

codepoet Commander of Cubicle 42

I restart if I am clearly in a tundra area. Just don't like those.

11. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Since I want to play, I want a good start.

IF 2 or 3 AI get a bad start (and they will), there just AI there for my enjoyment. As long as 2 or 3 get a good start (and they will), I want to be competing with those three, the others can be cannon fodder. BUT, I don't want to play as cannon fodder!

12. SirSaab

SirSaab Warlord

Um... you're the INCA!!! :lol: :p You beeline contruction (which has the added bonus of getting you closer to Steel, post patch), and start building Terrace Farms! One of my favorite civs is the Inca, precisely because I rarely feel like I have to restart in the exact situation you just described. Not only that, but I can do without scouts, because of the no-movement-penalty-on-hills part of the Inca UA.