1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad start (early game)- keep playing or restart?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Disgustipated, Jan 26, 2019.

?

Do you restart if you have early setbacks or keep playing: By early we'll say 30-75 turns norm.speed

1. Keep playing

47 vote(s)
    42.0%
  2. I'm a restart button abuser

65 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

For me that would make it not worth it. In fact, I think the better the start the worse the game is, overall. I mean in a "perfect" start scenario where are the choices? When everything breaks for you it is easy to go on autopilot and, for me, that is just no fun. I want to make some tough choices and when the start is mediocre at best that is when those choices shine. Personal opinion of course, but I enjoy the puzzle and like it when a game forces a little sacrifice in exchange for something great.

Time Tested likes this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Happens to me, if I'm away from a game too long, I tend to forget my intermediate and long term goals, and it's generally hard to get back into the game. I have a similar problem with RPG's. Don't get me started on games like World of Warcraft. I tend to just start a new character. So many alts. Sigh.

And sometimes I just get bored of a game. I'm not actually restarting due to bad luck, but just lack of interest.

I should include better poll options, I know. I'll have to think of some. Some posts in this thread are mentioning turn 1 restarts, and yes I do those. As I mentioned in the Russia civ of the week thread, I had 4 games, but 2 did not have tundra, and I did not play past turn 20 once I discovered there was no nearby tundra. Only 2 out of 4 games had tundra.

edit: I don't see a way to change the existing poll options (which is important as adding new ones would overlap with the first 2 poll options). It's best just to explain in the thread why you restart or don't restart.

3. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

I really can't see why people don't just restart when they feel like it.
    Chalk up a point for the AI(s) for their easy win, and try again.
    I hope they include a win/restart ratio (or similar) in the HoF, along with the mods used so it's there for all to see. It would also would make it easier to assess the quality of the AI. :)

4. Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr Warlord

I'll often restart if I don't get circumstances that suit the game I want to play at a given time. But if I'm just starting a game with a random leader, I'll almost always at least try to play those out, regardless of the start. I nearly quit my last game as Sumeria when the early rush against Kongo went poorly—he was producing a Spear every single turn and had ridiculously defensible territory. Then I almost quit again when I encountered Korea and she was making 400+ SPT, while I had something like 60. But I stuck with it, and I'm glad I did. Some really fun and interesting things happened in that game—Giggles' ability to get xp off an ally's combats gave me a level 8 Rifleman, which I turned into a Spec Ops Army that almost single-handedly stemmed Japan's invasion of Egypt.

Wizard-Bob likes this.
  5. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

If I have a major setback, one of which I'm unlikely to recover, I hit resign game. Since Patch 1.0.0.056 I've been keeping track of every game played, in Excel. I have 1 page that includes all time, and all other pages are per patch. I list Civ, leader, Score, Date, Victory Condition (or defeat), End Turn. I have had several resign defeats, plus a few unexpected loses (Opponent winning a religious victory, because I conquered a city) etc.

6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I always forget this exists. What exactly is the point of this anyways?

7. Midgardsormr

Midgardsormr Warlord

It shows you the end-of-game screens instead of just taking you to either a new game or the menu.

8. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

It varies. Some obstacles are fun to overcome, being forward settled hard by an AI is an interesting challenge. Having 4 barbarian huts find you in the ancient era and facing an unending sea of cavalry less so... I'll restart if I am not enjoying the challenge.

Julia97 likes this.
  9. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Before I read your post, I thought you were referring to the occasions where you get smashed by a perfect storm of Barbarians and an opportunistic neighbour. I'll restart those sort of games.
    Once I've discovered a few of my AI buddies, I'll usually play to the bitter end. I'm happy to report that the end is usually only bitter for the AI players - those few I can see through the rear view mirrors of my turbo charged space cruiser.

Time Tested likes this.
  10. Sekou

Sekou Chieftain

I'm an admitted serial restarter. Not because I hate to lose- I've seen out poor locations that interested me in other ways only to see an eventual demise.

Most of my restarts come from things like no mountains around to utilize (I like, mountains, okay?)

or this recent Americans start: just a tiny sliver of a "home" continent to utilize . That's not particularly fun for me .

Sometimes I'm quite happy with a Civ bunched up near me- lets get it on! But sometimes, Persia or Nubia or Aztecs? Meh .

Different strokes, I guess.

11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

true to real life then. :D They made that tiny sliver into something larger much to the chagrin of Native Americans.

12. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to games. I have had a few where I just start a new one. But most times I finish the current game.

13. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I'll admit if I have a coastal start, but don't have two sea resources--or worse, coral in the perfect harbor spot--I re-roll. I'll take a bad start over a start that teases me.

14. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

I hate restarting and for years I would endless play through till the end.
    These days I tend to play up till about turn 150 and usually that is enough.
    Sometimes I get starts like this and I think why bother?
    Restart at turn 36 but saving the game just incase I get itchy to mess with it more.
    Pangaea Standard Deity Map.
    All Standard Settings with Low Sea.
    All Random Civs.
    Tell us if you would play this game or restart?

Restart.jpg

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  15. Fluphen Azine

Ironically this is my next game after restarting.
    Same exact settings.
    Seems like cheating.
    This game is always about who has the best land.

Brazil.jpg

comatosedragon likes this.
  16. comatosedragon

comatosedragon Emperor

:old:

17. Mahi

Mahi Prince

Keep playing if the scenario is interesting. Restarting is a disease. If you start doing it you'll end up doing the whole time. I don't mind it but it seems to me many are straight up abusing the restart button until they get a perfect start.
    Extremely low production starts, where the second city would not be much better is a good argument for a restart though. Low production games tend to become boring fast.

18. Fluphen Azine

Ooops sorry bout that I misunderstood your post as I was reading your signature lol.
    I edited my wisecracks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  19. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

At a guess, I'd say your Russia game is way more likely to get a decent amount of oil later on. Horses don't look very likely in either start position, but more likely for Brazil than for Russia. Iron and Coal are probably about equally likely, unless the computer takes into account hidden resources when establishing start locations. Overall, the Brazil game is obviously lightyears ahead in its Ancient, Classical and Medieval Eras. Russia absolutely has to take that City State, preferably before you start meeting other Civs, to avoid the diplomatic penalties. Archers asap. Your Brazil start might be land-locked, and I would be scared of being surrounded by hostiles. I'd be worried about Aztecs or other aggressive civs with early-era UUs, even if you didn't use the geographical "cultural link" option. Russia probably has a more defensible location, and is more likely to be bordered by the cold-weather Civs, which tend to have later UUs or be less aggressive (probably Mongolia would be your biggest worry, in that regard). Russia also has the sea at its door, so you'd have to make a meal out of that.

Fluphen Azine likes this.
  20. Fluphen Azine

Nice Breakdown.
    I think it would be difficult to take that military city state.
    I suppose you'd have to go naval but like I say this is a Pangaea Map.
    That CS has one tile to attack from unless you go around the mountain and its Military with Walls.
    I'm not saying you or better players couldn't do it but that start is a lot of work and very slow/ugly.
    I guess you can swim some settlers to land eventually or hike around the mountain etc etc.
    The capital is ungodly as well with poor food.
    So you are saying you'd play that out eh?