Balance on Deity

You think early values should be lower? I personally think they should be higher, as right now it’s still pretty easy to get an early snowball going. I’d like to hear others’ thoughts on this.

You think early values should be lower? I personally think they should be higher, as right now it’s still pretty easy to get an early snowball going. I’d like to hear others’ thoughts on this.

They scale stronger later. You won't get too far with your snowballing.

If you're an era ahead you're safe, and you can either move up a difficulty or increase the handicap. (I would suggest increasing difficulty)

If you're even or slightly ahead, keep playing to find out how well they keep up. The goal is that you and the top AIs should be pretty neck-and-neck all game.

Yes, but with a weak early scaler, you won’t be neck-and-neck with the AI in the early game. Though I don’t play on Deity, so my experience may be different.
Currently playing on Emperor at C=500, and that seems like a good spot. I’m able to be at the top of the pack, but not too far ahead. In the late Renaissance now, and I’m neck-and-neck with the AI in culture, and they’re rapidly catching up in tech. Any lower values for C and it’s too easy to steamroll the AI early on.

Last edited:
Yes, but with a weak early scaler, you won’t be neck-and-neck with the AI in the early game. Though I don’t play on Deity, so my experience may be different.
Currently playing on Emperor at C=500, and that seems like a good spot. I’m able to be at the top of the pack, but not too far ahead. In the late Renaissance now, and I’m neck-and-neck with the AI in culture, and they’re rapidly catching up in tech. Any lower values for C and it’s too easy to steamroll the AI early on.
What civ are you playing in what map setting? Also, wait for the end game before assuming you have won.

It could be that aggressive early players prevent AI settling too wide, and this hurts them a little since they're not getting their triggers. But there are more triggers later, and being at the top scoring doesn't guarantee a victory.

The problem with people playing below Deity helping test the difficulty is that it's hard to tell the difference between the AI being too weak and you being good enough to move up a level. If I played on Immortal I would really need to crank the handicaps up to make it keep up. ;)

The problem with people playing below Deity helping test the difficulty is that it's hard to tell the difference between the AI being too weak and you being good enough to move up a level. If I played on Immortal I would really need to crank the handicaps up to make it keep up. ;)
I agree there's a bit of this. You can't say if you are just getting better. But I insist that games need to be played to the end, where quadratic handicaps show up.

I think right now mid-game difficulty on Emperor is just right for me (can’t say for late game, haven’t gotten there yet). It’s the early game that’s too easy on the default settings.

Top Bottom