Barbarians

Hades, then just set them to Sedentry so you can get goody huts without the barbarians overrunning me like crazy.

What is the chance of a barbarian uprising? I've only had one - and that was when the elite unit I was talking about got killed.

I am not sure why, but most of the huts I claimed were barbarians. Since AI's know which ones are barbarians and will never get near them so by leaving the huts in, it will only benefit the AI's.

I'm not sure about the AI's know which ones are barbarians.
It was a hut with Zulus around. My warrior take it (just for curious-and if it's barbarians the zulus will fight for my) and it was
a SETTLER.

An uprising of barbarians usually occurs when the AI in your game goes into the next age. They are quite unpleasant. I was blocking a very nice area with a couple of archers and all of a sudden, 16 horsemen come out of no where so know America is where they don't belong. Looks like i'll have to fix this...:)

There has only been one and it was quite a shock to see the military advisor suddenly pop up and say "There has been a massive uprising of barbarians in (city name)!"

Barbarians in huts are a big problem but it has gotten much worse since I have just started to explore more after the Ancient Ages. I must remember not to use workers to get them. After Ancient, they seem to be all deserted or barbarian-filled.

My MA's had once experienced barbarian warriors attack. They travelled the abandoned railway to reach my border so I couldn't find out where they came from. They should turn barbarians off after certain age.

Did they actually do anything bad hades? I mean, modern armor against horsemen and warriors. OH NO!! ;)

They destoryed some improvements because I forgot to deal with them at the end of the turn. Other than that, they were harmless like a bunch of tourists. It just didn't make a lot of sense thats all.

In one scenario I set myself to Babaylon w/ around 12 more settlers and 3 MAs accompying them. I built RRs around my whole settler network and linking them to resources that weren't yet discovered. On that island I put huge amounts of barbarians around my MAs and settlers and around other enemy civs.

You get the idea? When I established those cities on the same turn, I dispersed of a lot of barbarian encampments, leaving two barbarians in each square next to my cities. They wrecked all my improvements - stupid them! I couldn't build RRs back so I just now have a whole lot of a combination of roads and RRs.

Originally posted by cracker
I personally like them to be set as high as possible because it increases my income per turn. The barbarian camps are worth 25 to 50 gold each and if you can get agressive about harvesting them it really pumps up your economy.

The negative side to this is the massive uprising problem that has ever camp go psycho on the same turn. These uprising are triggered at specific timings when the 2nd civ on the planet enters a new age. The uprising horsemen count is 8/16/24 corresponding to roaming/restless/raging.

If you find them a nuisance at roaming then buck up your play skills a bit and you can turn them into a great toy.

Didn't know that massive uprising is triggered so specifically, very useful to know this, it means be careful around the time of era's changing.

I already used the camps to the best my advantage, i.e. gt elites and cash :)

Soren's Explanation Post :

ok, enough with the suspense!

barbarian uprisings are triggered the second time a civ enters a new age. (once for the middle ages, once for the industrial age, once for the modern age...) The intention was to basically simulate the barbarian hordes that knocked out Rome and (to a lesser degree) the Mongols. This made a little more sense back when barbarians were more destructive, but having half your civ knocked out for seemingly random reasons was deemed not much fun. Instead, we flipped the concept around and gave a temporal bonus (the Golden Age) instead of a temporal penalty.

I think DeepO gets the award for being the first to mention it...

The problem I have with MUs are not so much that they're unstopable, but that it's usually cheaper to allow one to decimate a border city than to throw in the amount of troops required to defeat 24 Horsemen in late Ancient Times. Especially as you can try to empty your treasury by buying stuff from the AI as soon as you see the barbs coming.

If you don't have much gold, they can wreck your city, killing citizens. But city walls and a few pikemen can stop them. That's not unreasonable.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
The problem I have with MUs are not so much that they're unstopable, but that it's usually cheaper to allow one to decimate a border city than to throw in the amount of troops required to defeat 24 Horsemen in late Ancient Times. Especially as you can try to empty your treasury by buying stuff from the AI as soon as you see the barbs coming.

Don't be rash. Emptying your treasury is the last thing you want to do. If there are a lot of horsemen and/or warriors striking your town/city/metropolitis, you should know when they are within four square near you. So if you have the money then just rush some units and hope that they'll last against the barbarians. They usually have before - when I had a massive uprising.

If you're in despotism, you can't generally rush troops in the afore-mentioned border city, and if you can, the new unit will most probably be killed anyway, your treasury will be emptied anyway, and you don't have to worry 'bout the barbs killing off your pop since you've just done that yourself.

As for wrecking my city, in my experience MUs typcially descend on size 1-2 cities that, at the maximum, has a temple built. The cost to repair that is not very high compared to that of losing half-a-dozen or so Spearmen to fight of the MU.

If I'm well into the Middle Ages, with Pikemen and city walls everyhwere, as Allemand and hbdragon88 seems to assume, well, then I don't expect to be troubled by MUs. It's the late Ancient/very early medieval ones that're troublesome.

But, yesterday, I had a size 4 city near a barb uprising with 3 spearman to defend against 24 horsemen(they didn't all attack the same turn, luckily). I rushed the walls and managed to defend successfully and get an elite spearman out of it. Walls are cheap compared to previous Civs, and they can be quite helpful until you can get aqueducts.

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
If you're in despotism, you can't generally rush troops in the afore-mentioned border city, and if you can, the new unit will most probably be killed anyway, your treasury will be emptied anyway, and you don't have to worry 'bout the barbs killing off your pop since you've just done that yourself.

When my city got ransacked repeatedly, nothing was depleted from the treasury. Is this normal?

I once bombarded a city w/ a spearman and in that same turn, because I just landed my troops and couldn't move them, it healed on the same turn. Can't that happen in between killing attacking troops for defeneders?

On Monarch level, I'm the first to reach the Middle Ages when I play an expansionist civ, and usually the first when I play the others, so I have pikemen. Without pikemen, it can take about five defensive units to hold off 24 barbarian horsemen, and that's with walls.

The barbarians have always depleted my treasury when they sacked a city, and for awhile I tried spending the money before they attacked. On one occasion, they killed the garrison, destroyed the walls and barracks, and because it was a one-population city they destroyed the city. Since then, I've always left a little money in the treasury. Just enough to satisfy 24 crazy barbarians.;)

I always have them on raging and often play expansionist.
I have found that you can pick up armies from the goodie huts.
Also you frequently get the same thing in the next hut. I have often got 2 consecutive settlers, gold, warriors, barbarians and of the 4 armies I have received a pair have been in consecutive huts.
With raging barbarians, an expansionist CIV, 3 scouts and Pangea
you can get almost all the Ancient era techs from goody huts. The worst thing about this strategy is that don't be surprise if you have a defenceless settler or army on the other side of contient running from half a dozen barbarians

Scyphax,

Your software is out of date by at least 6 months. Download a more recent patch to update your Civ3 software and join the rest of the world in the current game realities.

There are significant gameplay features that you are missing and a number of the bugs that existed, including the free armies, have been fixed.

Top Bottom