• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Barracks Obsolescence, Turn increments

Xyvyr

Chieftain
I've looked through texts and scenerio editors but I can't figure out if I can change when or if barracks become obsolete. I'm doing a scen. where the techs turn to magic rather than guns at the renaissance and I'd like to know if I have to work around that or include it in my tech tree plans. What would be musketeers will be crossbowmen, and I want the barracks to 'cash in' when the next unit (some sort of warrior mage) is discovered, not at the crossbow. I've got a custom tech tree set up to this point and I'd hate to have to go back and tinker with it!

About turn increments - if I set the years to 5/turn, it still goes 50/turn from 4000BC. Is there no way around this? Should I just change the start date to 0? Did Adam and Eve have belly-buttons? I'm trying to keep an ancient-type feel to this scenerio :egypt: Any help would be enthusiastically.. no, worshipfully accepted!

The techs in the "Gunpowder" and "Mobile Warfare" slots will obsolete barracks (and increase their upkeep) no matter what they are called.
Use one of those slots for the tech you want to obsolete the barracks.

yeah, you can use events here as well btw. If you want barracks to become obsolete when f.e. a ceratin unit is destroyed, you can give the gunpowder tech to a civ by event. The gunpowder tech has some other nasty things though, I think all the units before the musketeer slot become obsolete with it...at least I think I read somethign like that.

As long as the unit in the musketeer slot is unbuildable (use it for something else, an impassable or something that nobody can build) that's not a problem :)

Ah, thank you, that just might do it :) There are many more sticky leftovers like that to deal with than I had anticapated!

Top Bottom