Battering Rams Not Working

He's claiming that Canada doesn't need walls because it's immune to early warfare. It's a ridiculous claim, but he insists on it. Don't bother.
Not wanting to go into that tired old argument so I'll just say this- Where did Canada came from? We are talking about battling Rams and walls and stuff and all of suddem Canada?

Not wanting to go into that tired old argument so I'll just say this- Where did Canada came from? We are talking about battling Rams and walls and stuff and all of suddem Canada?

It's a 2-page thread. Surely, you can follow it. :p

But seriously....I feel like early warfare has changed quite a bit. Especially if walls appear. Anyone having success plowing through a neighbor that managed to get up early walls?

I started a game yesterday (on prince) with Germany to try and have some fun building a super production city. Like 400-500 production super, and went for some early swordsman and figured I would roll my neighbors pathetic 2 cities. Tomyris has a 47 defense city. That seemed new. I couldn’t take it with two swordsman and two horseman on prince. Granted she had horseman to counter but I figured Prince this should be easy.

On harder difficulties if there are walls I am curious if anyone knows how to power through. On immortal I have just been cherry picking a few easy cities and sitting on 11-12 total cities and a slower win.

Anyone having success plowing through a neighbor that managed to get up early walls?
Honestly, I'm finding myself trying to swing to Construction sooner for three reasons:
first, the siege tower lets you essentially ignore walls until they build R walls.
Two, lumbermills are handy on flat land now.
Three, it leads to military engineering, which reveals niter. Sometimes my invasion basically have to be postponed until niter units (muskets, bombards possibly) because I find that if they get a knight out, the strength of cities rises so much that swords really have a tough time (sword->knight is a +12:c5strength: jump in garrison power.) And lets be real, none of us are gonna build pikes.
So it becomes either swords+towers or muskets ahoy. It's very oddly making the civs with the mounted focus very defensively oriented, since mounted units can mop up units in the field but knights will never break through tech parity medieval walls.

The ottomans are really good now- mass a few 1 promo swords via barbarian genocide+terracotta+upgrade to jans for 35:c5gold: = lvl3 melee units with urban warfare (+10v districts.) Stack in serasker promo (+10 v districts within 10 tiles) on ibrahim, away you go. Rushing Jans feels like the new knight rush; the free promo on upgrade and +5str is unreal even without stacking siege bonuses. (A pious man will stack on crusade, too; the equivalent of poking your opponent in the eye and snapping his keyboard in half.)

TBH, i always thought Urban defenses came to early even when they were in the Civic tree. I think if they knocked them back half an era to maybe 1 era, on top of some of the suggestions above, then Ren Walls would have more time to be build, and be useful. You would want to build them to hold back the stronger troops. You have such a small window to build them and they cost too much to be worth building in that window.

Of course you could get even more wild with it and not give urban defenses for free but have to be built. It would require a lot of rebalancing. It would be part of a massive wall ovehaul.

But seriously....I feel like early warfare has changed quite a bit. Especially if walls appear. Anyone having success plowing through a neighbor that managed to get up early walls?

I started a game yesterday (on prince) with Germany to try and have some fun building a super production city. Like 400-500 production super, and went for some early swordsman and figured I would roll my neighbors pathetic 2 cities. Tomyris has a 47 defense city. That seemed new. I couldn’t take it with two swordsman and two horseman on prince. Granted she had horseman to counter but I figured Prince this should be easy.

On harder difficulties if there are walls I am curious if anyone knows how to power through. On immortal I have just been cherry picking a few easy cities and sitting on 11-12 total cities and a slower win.

Inca, Korea, or Hoplite spam.

Hwachas and Wakas massacre city defenses in medieval or later. Hoplites are cheap, as good as swords at attacking cities, and cost no resources.

The other options are Pitatis (enough of them take down walls) or Ottoman Serasker archers.

Top Bottom