Battering Rams Not Working

Against which walls?

Oh. That matters now?

Yes, I believe as of the most recent patch they made it so battering rams do not work on medieval walls or later.

So I think they basically only work against ancient walls now.

I’m a newbie though so someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes, I believe as of the most recent patch they made it so battering rams do not work on medieval walls or later.

So I think they basically only work against ancient walls now.

I’m a newbie though so someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

• Medieval and Renaissance Walls are immune to Battering Rams. Renaissance Walls are immune to Siege Towers. Battering Rams upgrade into Siege Towers.

Also they apparently obsolete at engineering. Never noticed because it is low priority

Why “damn“? Damn, about time I'd say! ;)
Now that there's no easy way through Renn Walls, it's a rough time if your enemy gets those up and you didn't bring the bombards... regular units do nothing to those bad boys.

It is rougher now. Rams now only working with melee units makes it really more difficult. I tried to get bronze working before even writing more often now, because no iron leaves you with the horse option which needs to be super fast, when your enemy gets walls it's over. Sadly you have to invest quite heavy into a sword push, imo it's difficult to do with one scource of iron and no +2 magnus. Didn't try knights yet but I guess it would be slower due to the apprenticeship requirement and don't know against walls. Catapults just plain suck imo. I had some really frustrating games now. Even with an early sword push you can get stuck and horses are a coinflip. Combination is much too late. It appears I end up ironless a lot. From there you don't have options. Courser is no option and muskets come so late that your warring dosen't grant you space in a resonable time span. Archers only work with really close enemys in ok terrain. I end up with much less cities than I'd like nowadays.

From there you don't have options.
The rams and towers also work with anticav units like spears and pikes. Problem is, spearmen are hot garbage in the classical and pikes @ 41 strength (really should be 45... come on FXS, I know you can do it) are quite frail to xbows and city ranged attacks. They also lose to enemy swords. The issue is also compounded by the fact that city defense strength runs off of the strongest unit you have built; so if an enemy builds a knight unit, that puts your low str pikeman at an even bigger disadvantage vs the city. (For the record, I think the wall levels should have fixed ranged attack and defense values, so keeping current is critical for an effective defense.)

(For the record, I think the wall levels should have fixed ranged attack and defense values, so keeping current is critical for an effective defense.)
I agree very much, the fact that strength of city A increases because you build a Knight or whatever in city B makes zero sense. They can keep a base increase with technology to reflect the fact that more advanced technology will give you better defenses, everything else being equal. Or if they want to make it more nuanced, make certain techs give a defense boost (like Machinery, Gunpowder, Riffling ...).

I think it's a shame that in their current shape, walls are such a bad investment. Ancient walls are definitely worth it, but Medieval and Renaissance? Not so. While Renaissance walls are actually quite formidable, if you keep a decent tech rate, you just don't need them, and soon after comes the urban defenses.

Ancient walls are definitely worth it, but Medieval and Renaissance? Not so. While Renaissance walls are actually quite formidable, if you keep a decent tech rate, you just don't need them, and soon after comes the urban defenses.
Sure, they increase wall HP, but in my experience as a siege commander, either you assemble a force to rip those bulwarks down in 2-3 turns or you just don't attack at all. City fire is too deadly, especially to siege units, for long sieges to be worth it. Renn Walls would benefit a lot if they didn't stick literally all the good techs past musketmen on the top of the tree. Let's see what we get by skipping renaissance walls:
Shipyards, Banks, factories, stock exchanges/big ben, oxford, railroads, replaceable parts, research labs, electricity, aerodromes, and broadcast towers, and computers for flood barriers. Then you might need to detour back down to pick up refining so you can build the darn infantry and carry on. This would be solved by making replaceable parts require rifling. Then you'd have to explore that bottom branch mid game or you'd be locked out of literally all modern era combat units.

But really I don't care if they want to make the city itself have the current rating system, but I think that the walls should be similar to the units of their day, plus whatever non bombard resistance it is they currently seem to have. So like this:
Ancient Walls would be 20:c5rangedstrength:/25:c5strength: with 100hp,
Medieval Walls would be 40:c5rangedstrength:/45:c5strength: with 200 hp,
Ren walls would be 50:c5rangedstrength:/55:c5strength: with 300hp.
Urban Defenses would be 70:c5rangedstrength:/75:c5strength: with 400hp.
You can still hold a city for a long long time, but it prevents this absurd escalation where a defender can simply build ancient walls and then rely on having built advanced units to make that defense trivial. Walls become essentially immobile, tough units instead of a magic self-improving shield made out of Handwavium bricks.

Next Marigold topic: "GEORGIA IS A POWERHOUSE CIVILIZATION NOW!!! IMMUNITY TO BATTERING RAMS AND SIEGE TOWERS LOL GET REKT!!! #NewCanada"

I like the walls buff. It was really easy to batter them down and now all three levels are actually worth building, giving your border cities more longevity. This also makes siege units better, which is another change I approve of. I have prefered them cheaper for Georgia but one "crazy" buff per patchnote is more than enough.

No Georgia stinks because you have to build the walls. Canada gets it bonus for free.

Right now I'm just playing Korea. Walls don't do much against Hwachas if you can get them in the medieval era. And with Korea getting Hwacha in medieval is easy.

The other option is Inca.

No Georgia stinks because you have to build the walls. Canada gets it bonus for free.

Right now I'm just playing Korea. Walls don't do much against Hwachas if you can get them in the medieval era. And with Korea getting Hwacha in medieval is easy.

The other option is Inca.
I never knew Canada gets free walls... my Canada didn't. Which mode are you playing?

Top Bottom