Battlefield 1942

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, but see the idea is to gain arial superiority (in keeping with Rommel's historical campaign). The idea behind the map design is that aircraft are too busy dog-fighting to have time to bombard ground targets. If you gain arial superiority (i.e. enemy has no aircraft in the air but you do), the map is yours because you are then able to support your tanks.

And yes, the additional role infantry play is defensive (manning AA guns, for instance, is unique to infantry).

yoshi said:
Unlikely you'll get that ratio from medium range...but maybe. I guess I just don't have the patience to stay down until the bots either move away or are engaged by my team's bots.

Usually I just get pissed off at the bots for being useless, die, switch to assault class, and go and win the map. :lol:

Usually I just get pissed off at the bots for being useless, die, switch to assault class, and go and win the map.

Bots are almost completely useless at amphibious attacks, they prefer to drive around in the damn landing craft until they get sunk by a plane or get into the destroyers but then rarely fire the guns.
I am redoing the campaign as the Allies with everything on Impossible and a 200% ratio. I am stuck at Midway as I can only die 5 times before losing but have to defeat the Japanese single handed as the others are all on the SS Minnow looking for Gilligan...
I got to within 3 tickets of winning yesterday when I was killed by a bomb from my own planes, losing as a consequence.

So have any of you tried the latest version of Desert Combat (DC_Final)? I like the way they improved the sounds and the new maps but occasionally I get severe lag which I didn't with DC 0.7.

I have to admit I've never really bothered with DC--I prefer a WW2 theme so I stick to the those mods (but I've read enough on it to know that it is widely considered to be the most solid BF mod on the net right now).

BTW, I think Dice swiped ideas from the DC mod because BF2 looks identical. ;)

Trauma Studios (the guys behind DC) have a contract with EA, and I think that they are working on BF2, so you could be right there. ;) That's why they're no longer working on DC.

That woud explain it.

Quokka said:
Bots are almost completely useless at amphibious attacks, they prefer to drive around in the damn landing craft until they get sunk by a plane or get into the destroyers but then rarely fire the guns.
DL RealPlayer and the bots won't do that anymore. In fact, you will probably have have enough trouble just keeping them OFF the beach.

Question from a bf1942 noob:
How do bullets move? Do they have a travel time? Do they lose altitude?

Thad

Based on my playing experience, the answer would seem to be no to both. Small arms rounds seem to arrive instantaneously: This may be for the bots' sake since they might have too much trouble anticipating players' movements in order to hit them 'on arrival' so to speak. Then again, bots seem to have absolutely no trouble calculating your exact course when attacking you with Bazookas: I've frequently been hit even when zigzagging at full run.

What I was getting at earlier was that perhaps this is more for players' sake: your average player only understands 'point-and-shoot.' Time-to-arrival based on distance and maximum range (although this would rarely apply even if it did work since most maps are under a mile in width and rifle rounds usually travel farther than that) are concepts that most players aren't used to for infantry--Bazookas and heavy rounds aren't the equivilant because they travel too slowly thus far easier to calculate range-to-target/travel time.

Another thing that isn't included is wind-direction but that would really be stretching things; n00bs--considering the depth of your question, I don't think this term really applies to you--would go through games without getting a single hit.

Considering no mods I have tried do this, I think the light rounds rules of the BF engine is distinct from the rules that govern the physics behind heavy rounds.

Would make sniping far more challenging if this were added IMO but it's not meant to be a highly realistic game so that level of realism is a mute point I guess.

I doubt BF2 will take this into account based on what I've read thus far.

The DC mod is definately worth a try. The vehicules, especially the tanks, move a lot faster. That makes a different game. Also, the helicopters are an addition though they're hard to fly.
IMO bfv is more better than regular bf42. The under- and overgrowth system is a lot better, so now you can actually hide in it. The VC mines are awesome! Pity that your teammates are probably too dumb to comprehend that they need to use the 3d map... The ambient sounds are also better (not difficult, since they were practically non-existent). The 1.2 patch fixed a lot of balance issues (like the heavy weapons class carrying both the best machine gun and the best anti tank gun).
Airplanes and helicopters are easier to fly than in bf42. And you can use your own weapons in some vehicule seats, which makes for awesome team play (1 driver, 1 using the mounted grenade launcher, and a M60 or sniper in the right front seat).

It's impossible to buy BF42 here these days, since it's sold together with the expansion packs for 45 euros. BFV is actually cheaper than that. If you could buy BF42 for the price that a 2 year old game would be actually worth (10 euros or so), definately go for BF42.

The choppers in dc are better to fly once you get used to it. I just found them to be more responsive than the BF:v ones. There's some good guides on planetbattlefield.com if you want to learn how to fly them. :)

It's not a problem. I can fly the choppers fairly well with the keyboard. It just takes practice and an understanding of how they work. :) Using a joystick wouldn't make it much easier from my experience.

If you already have BF1942, BFV is like buying a mod for the price of a game. Not worth it IMO...but perhaps in the MP game it make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom