1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

beermaking

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Rainlife, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Rainlife

Rainlife Chieftain

i was planning today to make a new civilization, the Belgian, one of their starting technologies should "beermaking" :)

beermaking, no prerequisites
    allows to build brewery (+1 happiness)

beermaking + medecine leads to alcoholism
    allows to build AA-clubhouse (+1 health)

anyone can mod this ? :)

maybe brewery should need some resources as ingredients too

2. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Should be fairly easy to mod I'd have thought. The creation and customization forum might be a better place to ask though.

I'm not sure about a brewery needing resources. I'd have thought most places would have access to some type of grain, which is all you really need.

3. TriMoon

TriMoon Chieftain

Doesnt brewing involve chemestry?
    And too many drunks cause crime (unhapyness)?

4. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Brewing's been around far longer than chemistry has. Ancient Egypt and Sumeria had beer, but I don't think they even had much in the way of Alchemy, let alone genuine chemistry.

5. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Wow...I've been thinking for awhile now that 'brewery' should be an option for wheat fields, or that barley or hops or something should be a new resource that you can build a brewery on.

Making alcohol can be as simple as letting some grain go bad. Elephants eat fermented grains to get drunk in the wild.

I've also been thinking it would be fun to include some less, uh, savory substances somehow that might provide a :) or religious bonus, but also a health penalty if you have too many of that resource and don't trade enough away. Something like that. Although some could actually provide a health BONUS if you don't have an overabundance.

6. cthom

cthom 3,011,451,295

Since it would be Belgian beer, monasteries (trappist, of course) would be *really* good to have :D
    long live chimay!

7. Bevertje

Bevertje Warlord

While making the Belgium/Brewery MOD, add the Netherlands/Coffeeshop too ;)

8. eric_

eric_ Emperor

There you go!

9. Rainlife

Rainlife Chieftain

well you do indeed need a monastery to build a brewery so i'll add it to the prerequisites :)

i am planning to make a lowlands-mod, with civs like brabant, flandres, luxembourg, holland and friesch

10. Bushface

Bushface Deity

I think the AI must already have access to some kind of intoxicant. Otherwise, why do railway tracks have such curly layouts ?

11. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

Hmm, I actually think that rather than "beermaking" it should be "Brewing", req. Pottery (where are you going to ferment the beer in? A pit in the ground? Wooden barrels haven't been invented yet, remember.) In addition, I think it should be handled differently, but it leads me into an idea that's been brewing (no pun intended) in my mind for several months, so allow me to be sidetracked...

Fundamentally, I think, we should add an extra layer of resource harvesting. In addition to certain basic resources directly harvested from the land, we should add something else. The best way for me to explain is to describe it in some degree of detail.

Using the example of Beer, a good idea (in my opinion) would be to do this: for a civilization (for the sake of argument, Belgium) that has access to Grains (Wheat, Corn, or Rice), it can build up to one Brewery for every source of Grains it has access to up to five. Each Brewery provides one source of Beer, much as Hollywood provides five of Hit Movies. Thus, nations with only one source of Grains would not be able to sell their beer abroad, but those that have more could sell their wares to drier places. If we wanted to go further, we could have Monarchy be a prerequisite for building Distilleries, where a civilization with access to one source of Beer or Wine could produce Liquor, along similar rules to Breweries. Just a thought.

In any case, other resources might work similarly:

Cows: For a square with a Pasture and Cows, Workers can build Dairies in addition to the Pasture, which would increase the health benefit of the Cows and allow you to build one Cheesemaker's Shop (what else should I call it?) for every source of Dairy-harvested Cows, up to five Cheesemaker's Shops per civilization, each providing one source of (tradable) cheese. The Dairy and Cheesemaker's Shop would require Pottery and Animal Husbandry.

Textiles: A civilization with access to Textiles (either Sheep or Silk) can build one Weaver's Shop (again, what else can I call it?) for every source of Textiles, up to six (aha!) Weaver's Shops, with prerequisite Pottery. Each provides a tradable source of Cloth. In addition, with Replaceable Parts, the civilization can build up to one Textile Mill for every two Weaver's Shops, each providing an additional source of Cloth, and increasing hammers by 25%.

Leather: A civilization with access to either Sheep or Cows may build a up to one Tannery for every source of Sheep or Cows, up to five Tanneries. Each Tannery provides a source of Leather. Reqires Animal Husbandry.

12. Brighteye

Brighteye intuitively Bayesian

This is a very good idea. Building buildings that give luxury or some sort of resourse is a key part of having cities. In fact, that was the whole point of Colonisation, if you can remember that far back. I suppose that the argument is that cities' production models all this very broadly, but a bit of extra detail might be fun.
    A brewery ought to add health, because the point of brewing was that the alcohol killed off anything unsavoury in the water, and having safe drinking water is a huge step towards healthiness.

13. eric_

eric_ Emperor

Great idea Lockesdonkey!

14. Rainlife

Rainlife Chieftain

If I get Donkey correct, it seems like a very nice idea, especially since some countries main export consist of those products, we could make a difference between raw-resources and processed-resources, iron can for instance been processed to steel by a steel-factory and sold to another country (that builds an overwhelming navy with it to come and crush you ;)) this would add several intresting economic structures to the game, you can import iron, process it and sell as steel

especially near the modern times, you're units should rather require a processed resources then a raw one.

however, this would also add some new micromanagement, which they tried to reduce in CivIV

(another nice option is for multiplayer in teams, if one player controls the resources you can agree on a processing-deal :))

15. Soundwαvє ▼

Soundwαvє ▼ Warlord

Hey you talk about beer as something just good (only happiness), well when you talk about the masses you need to know that almost everything has the good and bad side, and about beer the bad effect is larger than the good...

If you are good at health and science, then you can have it, otherwise this will kick out your civ from the map. What it should do is add happiness and culture taking away health and science.

16. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

regarding Lockesdonkey...
    Yes, that's the sort of thing I want to see in Civ. Awesome way to make the economy more than just the tiles you work.

17. Semmel

Semmel Large Sid Meiers Collider

Unbeleavable that your post is already more 4 years old. Yes, a very nice idea. This way, each culture would have a number of "national wonders" (processing shops/mills etc.) that number depends on the number of ressources you have. It would be a very nice addition to the economy of Civ5 and I would love to see it. I have not heard anything like that so far but it is defenetly a nice idea for an expansion because it adds a whole new economy layer. It also makes vassals much more useful: you can just demand all their spare ressources and process them in your own country to get production bonuses which you wouldnt get without raw materials.

I love this idea, damn you, now that you put it inmy mind I will always feel like I miss it if its not there! ;-)