BEFORE you publish or download a Mod, PLEASE READ

I'm brand new to using mods and have zero programming skills. I found several mods I like; HROCHland's sea factory, et al., and several new Wonders (Sydney Opera House, Las Vegas Strip). How do I install and use them together?

The right way isn't working for me. I downloaded both Fall from Heaven and Rise of Mankind. I installed both to my Bts/Mods folder. Neither of them is displayed as a choice when I go to the "Load a Mod" menu. I don't understand what's going on here!

THE FAQ NEEDS TO BE UPDATED

I just found out through searching my computer, after having problems clearing the game cache (I would remove the contents in USER\Application Data\My Games\ but even so the cache persisted!), that there may be (in my case there defintely was) cache hidden in User\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games too!

People having trouble clearing their cache ought to advised and check this possibility out.

Thanks for an otherwise highly helpful guide.

~ Kris

I made this post in an other thread, but it's probably of just as much use here (if any). Here goes:

So anyway, I wrote up this nice little batch script that should clear all Civ4 caches (for sure).
Spoiler :
Code:
@echo off
:: Set Silent to 1 to always run silently...
set silent=0
:: Analyze any potential argument...
if %silent%==1 goto skipbs
if %1.==. goto bs
if %1==s goto set_silent
if %1==silent goto set_silent
if %1==-s goto set_silent
if %1==-silent goto set_silent
if %1==/s goto set_silent
if %1==/silent goto set_silent
if %1==h goto help
if %1==help goto help
if %1==-h goto help
if %1==-help goto help
if %1==/h goto help
if %1==/help goto help
goto bs
:set_silent
set silent=1
goto skipbs
:bs
cls
@echo. +---------------------------------------------.
@echo. :                                             :
@echo. : Civilization IV - Clear Caches Batch Script : 
@echo. :  Script by: krille @ CivFanatics.com, 2008  :
@echo. : Description: Clears the game cache of Civ4  :
@echo. :  original/vanilla, Warlords and BtS.        :
@echo. : Params: -s for silent mode, -h for help.    :
@echo. '---------------------------------------------'
@echo.
@echo. The following directories will be deleted:
@echo.
@echo. %APPDATA%\...
@echo.  My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache
@echo.  My Games\Walords\cache
@echo.  My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
@echo.
@echo. %USERPROFILE%\...
@echo.  Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache
@echo.  Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Walords\cache
@echo.  Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
@echo.
set /p input= Are you sure? Enter 'y' to confirm. Anything else aborts. y/n: 
if %input%.==. goto abort
if %input%==y goto skipbs
if %input%==Y goto skipbs
goto abort
@echo.
@echo.
:skipbs
@echo.
rmdir "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache\" /s /q
rmdir "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Warlords\cache\" /s /q
rmdir "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache\" /s /q
rmdir "%APPDATA%\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache\" /s /q
rmdir "%APPDATA%\Walords\cache\" /s /q
rmdir "%APPDATA%\Beyond the Sword\cache\" /s /q
@echo.
if %silent%==1 goto silent_end
@echo.
@echo Up to six 'errors' above is perfectly normal.
@echo (A directory can't be deleted if it doesn't exist.)
::cls
@echo.
@echo All Civilization 4 caches should now be cleared.
@echo (Including Warlords and BtS caches).
goto end
:help
@echo.
@echo.
@echo HELP
@echo.
@echo Use -s or -silent or s or silent for silent operation.
@echo.
goto silent_end
:abort
cls
@echo.
@echo Operation aborted.
:end
@echo.
@echo.
PAUSE
:silent_end

Use -s (can easily be done using a shortcut) to run silently (not prompts) or simply change "set silent=0" to "set silent=1" to always run silently.

Hope this can be of some help to someone.

This would be the file: Civ4_Clear_Caches.zip

This post is in conflict with the FAQ, which I will quote here:

What is the difference between the ../Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ folder and the ../My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ folder?
The main game folder, which houses the default rules, artwork, sounds, scenarios, and map scripts, is the former, located at C:/Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/. If you download anything, be it a mod, scenario, map, artwork, map script, or anything else, it is best to place it in your ../My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/ folder. When the game sees that there are two copies of a file in the folders, it will have the downloaded/modified one override the default, allowing you to play modified content.

Which is correct?

At the time of the original writing of this topic, the 'right way' had yet to be set in actual stone by anyone. My post, at the time, was based on the most factual information available, and was intended to circumvent the numerous early-days mods being written that actually replaced the user's default files, instead of being loaded as a selectable mod.

It is now several years later, and I have not myself played Civ4 at any length in almost that long. Unfortunately, things change, more information is discovered, and sticky posts from two years ago become outdated.

I would like to make two requests:

1) Could someone update this Sticky? I am not able to invest the time needed to do so myself. Alternately, could its sticky status be removed?

2) PLEASE do not send me PM's asking for help with getting mods to work. This is the first time I've had a chance to log into these forums in over a year. I just noticed a year-old PM asking for help with getting mods working... obviously, I never answered it. Do not message me expecting a reply. Mods have come a very long way since I wrote this sticky, and I simply don't have the resources to research everything I'd need to know to play tech support. Sorry :(

-- Rayanth

Ive been trying to install my mod by unzipping from 7z. It created a duplicate which I deleted by I still can't upload my mod. (for more info please see my posts in the Thomas' War v3.5 Thread.):(

B) The other is to install it under a "C:\...\Civilization 4\Mods" folder
The mods that come with the game use this method. The mod is not loaded by default unless you tell the game to do so. Instead, it's loaded in-game by going to Advanced -> Load Mod.

This is the best way to have multiplayer compatibility for mods, making it easy for each player to load the mod and play a game together.

[\QUOTE]
This is the unzipping method I used but nothing will work:( any suggestions are welcome

Un explorer got to tools/view/hidden files and folders/ check "show hidden files and folders.

Obviously we have different comptuers. My tools doesn't have a view in it. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place and that's possible.

I'm trying to get rhyse and fall to work in warlords. I've put it everywhere. Custom Assets, Mods folder. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. The download came with a zipped folder. Should I put it in still zipped up? Should I put it in only unzipped? Should both be in there? Should I keep the guide that came with it in there or remove that from the folder I'm supposed to put it in?

Another problem is that these folders are empty. I mean of course theres files in there but they're not showing. I assume that's what you're referring to. In internet explorer under tools though it never says "view" unless you mean something else??? Anyways please help.

Obviously we have different comptuers. My tools doesn't have a view in it. Unless I'm looking in the wrong place and that's possible.

In the explorer: Extras -> folder options -> view, and then scroll down there.

I'm trying to get rhyse and fall to work in warlords.

Whatever you do: Please check, that your version is really for warlords (i guess, it's not). Nearly no mod works with another version of civ.

I've put it everywhere. Custom Assets, Mods folder. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

It has to go in "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods" (or where you've installed it, but that's the default path).

The download came with a zipped folder. Should I put it in still zipped up? Should I put it in only unzipped? Should both be in there?

A zipped file is a compressed file and never functional.
You have to unpack it, and just move the unpacked mod to the mod folder of warlords.

Another problem is that these folders are empty. I mean of course theres files in there but they're not showing.

I guess, that's still because of the .zip.

There are alot of mod out there for civ4, and his post is both for Mod-makers and Mod-users alike, laying out the most basic information about setting up a mod the right way.

Please note that this post has been re-written more intelligibly than its original form.

The WRONG Way:: Do not ever modify the original files!

Replacing your original files. Under no circumstances should a mod require you to replace or overwrite your original game files. There simply is no reason to, civ4 and all it's expansions allow very simple and effective ways to load customization items while leaving all the original files unaltered. The one exception I can think of is Blue Marble, but that mod has been around for years, and it makes very specific and minor alterations to some textures.

The RIGHT way:

There are two ways to add customized content. One is to create or install a proper mod, the other is to put the modifications in Custom Assets.

Making a proper mod:
Mods go in the mod's directory, which is generally along the .../$Program Files/Firaxis/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/ path (obviously no BtS if you're installing into Vanilla, and it's a Warlords folder for Warlords). When you install a mod the path to the mod should look something like this (the exact $Installpath is different, but for most users it's along $ProgramFiles, there is also a similar mods directory along $MyDocuments/$MyGames, but it's buggy, so it's not recommended to use it):
$InstallPath/Beyond the Sword/Mods/$ModName
Each Mod should get its OWN folder, and should contain copies of the files it overrides. If you have a mod you enjoy and want to launch it automatically, copy your BtS shortcut on your desktop or start menu, then name the copy shortcut the name of the mod, and right click on it and select properties. In the target line add mod="ModName" to the end of the path, as an example this is what the Legends of Revolution installer created shortcut target looks like on my computer: "C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="LoR"

This method prevents you from having to worry about backing up your files, and is the way the Firaxians wanted us to do things. Mods that request you to back up your originals because they are being overwritten, are doing things the wrong way; you should not install them, or create them, and especially don't release them.

Custom Assets:

Custom assets modding will work, and it wol't mess up your original game, but for the most part it's not recommended. This is because custom assets are loaded first before anything else, so the can cause conflicts with some mods. If you release a mod, you definitely should not have it install to custom assets (the exception being the BUG mod). The nice thing about custom assets is that they are loaded automatically, so many modders start out using custom assets, but in the long run it can be a hassle. To use custom assets simply find the file you want to alter, and copy it into the custom assets folder; ensure you maintain the same basic file structure as Civ4 does. For instance if tweaking Unit values with custom assets, copy your CIV4UnitInfos.xml from $ProgramFiles/../BtS/Assets/XML/Units to $MyGames/BtS/Custom Assets/XML/Units, then make the changes to the file in your custom assets folder.

The Cache
Please note that Civ4 keeps a cache. For the most part the cache will not break properly created BtS mods, but it may, and it's known to cause many conflicts with Pre BtS mods and custom assets. The cache is a backup of many files, to enable Civ4 to load frequently-used (or particularly large) files faster -- the cache is a compressed version of the file re-written to be more easily machine readable. Why is this important? The game loads the cache first -- if a file is in the cache, it will NOT reload it if it was modified. How do you get around it? clear the cache! Simply hold down shift while starting up Civ4. Also you may manually delete the cache file by browsing to this directory:

$UserName\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache

You can also disable caching in the main Civ4 Config file. The civ4 config file will be found in the main folder where custom assets is, and there is also a link to it from the main BtS installation folder. The name of the file is: CivilizationIV.ini
There are some usefull items you may want to change in the config file:
Spoiler :
Toggles the game into windowed mode if set to zero, to easily tab out of the game.
Code:
; Specify whether to play in fullscreen mode 0/1/ask
FullScreen = 0
Setting to 0 will give debugging statements about python going wrong. You should probably only turn these on if you know what python is.
Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0
Pretty self explanitory:
Code:
; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
MaxAutoSaves = 5

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves.  0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 4
Also self explanitory, if you're using mods or doing alot of modding you should definatly set these to 1 to disable them:
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1
Debugging mode, change the "0" to "chiptole" as shown below. Very useful, it opens up quite a few tools. For instance pressing ctrl + z reveals the map. In all RevDCM based mods pressing ctrl + shift + X starts AI Autoplay, and ctrl + shift + l will allow you to switch players.
Code:
; Move along
CheatCode = chipotle
Pretty self explanitory, but you need to have some idea of what you're doing in order to make sense of the logs:
Code:
; Create a dump file if the application crashes
GenerateCrashDumps = 1

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

Thank you all, and Happy Modding!

Updated if a moderator wants to copy and paste to the OP. Was requested by Ainwood to do this, since I made such a fuss about the stickies in the forums, and I have based the above on the writing style and format of the OP, just updated the information.

I'm relatively new to Civ IV and soon I will get the expansion Beyond the Sword.

But I have an interest with the modding thing, and I would like to try it out sometime...however, it seems it's done at our own risk, why is that?

Are mods compatible with Steam-version of Civ IV?

-.-

Thanks for putting this into words. I love Mods, but don't comprehend much about them.

Top Bottom