BEFORE you publish or download a Mod, PLEASE READ

Snarko-
Don't let my frustration infer I don't appreciate your help...
Following the procedure you suggested, while quadruple-checking to make sure hidden files are visible, I just have one folder showing and that is the 'Profiles' folder.
Here's what the browser reads "C:\Documents and Settings\Christina\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Profiles"
Christina is my lovely fiancee. If you could see her you would be proud and jealous all at the same time. :thumbsup:
...I digress. In conclusion, I guess I will just live with what I got till it becomes an issue. I've been lucky not to have any problems yet so why should I fret about the stupid file anyway?
Thanks to all that helped. Your generosity will come back to you 10 fold!

Ahoy folks,

This will sound like a very 'n00b' question and, in respects, I suppose it is. But here it goes anyway:

After recently downloading several of the 'created' civilizations which members of this forum made (IE, the Canadian, Texan, Antarctican, Dutch, Croat, Brazillian, Korean, Portugese and Cherokee civilizations) I find myself at a bit of a hurdle. I have placed them in the designated folder (the Mods one), cleared my cache and selected "Advanced --> Load a Mod --> [Mod Name]" yet still they do not appear to be working.

The original post states I should place copies of the files that are being over-written into the Mod folders aswell, correct? So, for example, if I wish the Canadian civ to replace the English one, would I Copy and Paste the files from the English civ into the Canadian civ mod folder? I'm a little confused by this.

I was hoping these mods would run simultaneously with the original files and that all the downloaded custom civilizations could run at the same time as opposed to having to "Load a Mod" whenever I wish to use them. For example, a war between Texas, America and Canada is, as far as I can tell, not possible as the Texan and Canadian mod can not be used at the same time in a game. Am I mistaken in this and is there a way to use the custom civs in the same game?

Thanks,
Andrew

To the best of my experience, the MODs folder in MY DOCUMENTS is working fine...
However I have only been using it with my own mod which modifies game speed and Maps sizes, so possibly more complex mods may still have a problem...

Can someone comfirm if the My Docs folder problem still exists after 1.09?

Just wanted to chime in: Custom Assets.

So you like a HUD kind of mod and want it to load all the time ? Put in Custom Assets folder. By doing such, it also won't over-write game files.
Also won't conflict with mods, since if you loaded a mod their priority is first. Mods > Custom Assets > Regular game files

I've done it with the clock mod and domestic advisor mod, with no problems.

I do the same with the Clock and Score Graph mods...both of which are just plain nice to have!

Rayanth said:
Hm. Well, given the method he's using, yeah i can see why he is overwriting the originals. however you can still back out of this -- back up the original, let his program overwrite the original, then move the new file(s) to CustomAssets in the appropriate location(s), and move the original back in to its proper place. it's a longer method but should result in the same thing.

My editor does backups itself. It never destroys any data, given that the modder knows how to rename files.

In fact, you can open up any file in any folder for editing, the editor just defaults to the original location. Once a file is opened and edited from a specific folder, it saves the edited file to the location it was opened from.

I think you can screw up a game installation with any editor with improper use. I just assume the modding community knows the proper usage.

@ajcardall,
You seem to have a separate query and I think you'd be better off starting a new thread to get a reply.

I'm not familiar with the mods you have described and I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve, but it should be possible to select a group of Civs from different mods and include them all in one game. AFAIK Civs are just XML descriptions so you should be able to cut and paste whichever Civs you want and put them in the same mod. But since I'm not very familiar with the Civ xml files ATM and I don't know which mods you are referring to, I can't be of much more assistance.

what do you load under Main Menu (of Civ4) -> Advanced -> Load a Mod...
what is the name of the 'CustomAssest'? just 'assests'?

EDIT: sorry, i didn't see the second page. but still, it's not loading when I start the game by putting it in CustomAssests... I am stumped.. let me double check and see if I cleard the cache...

TrueAce said:
what do you load under Main Menu (of Civ4) -> Advanced -> Load a Mod...
what is the name of the 'CustomAssest'? just 'assests'?

EDIT: sorry, i didn't see the second page. but still, it's not loading when I start the game by putting it in CustomAssests... I am stumped.. let me double check and see if I cleard the cache...

TrueAce,

1. Your "mod" will not appear in the mod list until you actually make it a mod. Just because you put some files in the CustomAssests directory does not make it a mod. Those files put in the CustomAssets directories are automatically loaded.
2. Requirements for what makes a mod a mod read the second post in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=132476

Rayanth said:
The RIGHT way:

The buggy right way:
There is another Mods folder, it has a shortcut labeled _Civ4CustomMods that points to My Documents\My Games\Civ4\MODS. The problem with this right now is that if you load a Mod from this folder, start and save the game, it fails to re-load it properly. There is an issue with the loading script that corrupts the path it tries to load the mod from. Developers and Players alike should avoid using this directory until the bug is fixed -- there's no real reason to use it over the core Mods directory under Program Files, that I am aware of.

This is however the only right way, if you want to use a translation "mod" and some other mod together. Or can you use two mods together?

Kahkonen said:
This is however the only right way, if you want to use a translation "mod" and some other mod together. Or can you use two mods together?

I would be surprised if the bug is still there (the first post is prepatch) but if it is you can do this by putting the mod in the other mod directory. There are two, one in my documents and one where the game is installed. It should make no diffrence in which of those two you put it, except for this bug (if it's still around).

Also you can use two mods together as long as they don't use the same files. If it works to have one in customassets and one in mods then they should work together too. (not 100% sure of how the game handles the xml\text\ files. All other xml files would work like this however)

snarko said:
Also you can use two mods together as long as they don't use the same files. If it works to have one in customassets and one in mods then they should work together too. (not 100% sure of how the game handles the xml\text\ files. All other xml files would work like this however)

That's ok and have worked well, but in game you can not load two mods on same time?

Kahkonen said:
That's ok and have worked well, but in game you can not load two mods on same time?

No you cannot.

I looked around and there doesn't appear to be an overall guide anywhere to installing mods, and this seems to be the best place to put it. Often see questions in that regard :)

Standard Mod Installation

Most mods use one of these methods for installation, unless specifically noted otherwise.

There are two ways you can use a mod:

A) One is to install it to "My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\CustomAssets"
Files installed here override the game's default files. This method is good to use for a personal mod if you're probably never going to distribute it or play multiplayer.

B) The other is to install it under a "C:\...\Civilization 4\Mods" folder
The mods that come with the game use this method. The mod is not loaded by default unless you tell the game to do so. Instead, it's loaded in-game by going to Advanced -> Load Mod.

This is the best way to have multiplayer compatibility for mods, making it easy for each player to load the mod and play a game together.

You can also use this for your personal mod, simply by creating a "Mod" or "PersonalMod" folder here. To have it load as the game starts up:

1) Load the file "My Documents\My Games\Civilization 4\CustomAssets\CivilizationIV.ini"
2) Search for the text "Mod ="
3) Enter the name of your mod here, such as Mod = PersonalMod

After you install a mod in CustomAssets, or make changes to a mod anywhere, you need to clear the game cache. To do this, click the icon to start the game and hold down SHIFT during the loading sequence.

Merging Mods

If you already have files installed to CustomAssets or under another mod, and wish to merge them with a new mod, this is how you do it:

1) Download a free text-comparer program. A good one to use is CompareIt!, which I'll be using here.

2) Copy the mod over to your CustomAssets or personal mod folder.

3) If it asks you if you want to overwrite any files, make a note of the file name and location, then click 'No'.

4) Each of the files it asked to overwrite with an "xml" extension you can merge using CompareIt. If no XML files were brought up, you can skip to 15).

5) Open up CompareIt.
6) For the source (first) file, load the file you wish to add to the mod (the first XML file you noted above).
7) For the destination (second) file, load the file already in the mod.

8) The source file is listed on the left, the destination file is listed on the right. Differences between the files are highlighted in green. If you're unfamiliar with how the XML text is organized, check out this post. You can also find detailed descriptions of most XML entries here.

9) For each difference, compare the two and see which you want to keep. If it's a new addition, the destination file will generally be blank on the right.

10) To copy a difference over to the destination file, click the double >> arrows on the toolbar.

11) To go to the next difference, click the yellow-green downwards arrow on the toolbar.

12) You can also edit the destination file directly -- both sides are text editors. This might be necessary for some differences.

13) Once you've compared the files and made changes, save the Destination file.

14) Then, open up the next file pair it asked to overwrite, and repeat the process.

Scripting files (*.py)

15) Most mods now use a modular approach for creating or modifying scripts. If one of the files it asked you to overwrite is "CvCustomEventManager.py", follow these steps to merge them with your existing mod.

16) Open the new and existing CvCustomEventManager files in CompareIt.

17) At the top is a list of Imports. These are the files containing the actual code for the mod. Copy-paste the Imports of the new mod over to your existing file (add some lines as necessary).

18) Below this are some definitions for the mods, each mod has it's own line. Copy-paste the new mod's entries.

19) Next are various definitions for what events the mod checks for as the game runs.

20) Copy over any functions your existing file doesn't have. If it already has some of the functions, copy the last line of each.

21) Save the destination file and check your results by loading the game. If any errors occur, check that you have cleared the cache (as described above) and that you've followed these steps closely. Some mods might also not work with existing saves, the creator will generally indicate this.

If I overlooked anything or have a mistake in this tutorial, please point it out! :)

Hey, just a question.

For one reason or another (probably because of stupidity) I installed Civ 4 in My Documents\My Games. After I read this post, I realized that the shortcut way (buggy way) you talked about would in fact start off mods from be the same mod folder in my actual civ 4 folder. They're both [C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Mods]

So I'm wondering (because I don't particularily understand the bug in the first place) why the problem with loading from the shortcut doesn't happen to me?

I'm becoming increasingly frustrated and hoping for some help here! I've downloaded several mods and have followed all the instructions in this thread -- put the mod files in the MODS folder in My Documents and in Custom Assets in the same place. I've cleared the cache, after finally finding it. I've put the mods in the Mods folder under Program Files and in Assets in the same place. I've loaded the mod from Advanced and the game says it's using it. But the leaders of the new CIV do not appear when I begin a Custom Game. Do I need to take the files from the folders for the Mod and put them in the folders with the same name in Custom Assets? Which one, Program Files or My Documents? I'd give up, except that people do seem to be able to load mods and use them! Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

Greetings everyone! I have been away for an extended period of time, and am trying to return to the modding venue.

I am pleased to see that this post is still stickied and referred to... however, I am interested in updating it if necessary. Are there any changes to the way mods work, that need to be reflected in the original post?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-- Rayanth, the original UI Modder

I too have been having trouble getting mods to work, but just my own. I read through half a dozen tutorials and tried to create a civ which i couldn't get to work. I downloaded an Ireland mod and that worked just fine, or in the very least showed up in the civ selection screen. I didn't have to do anything for the Ireland mod other then put it in the main game\mods directory and load by sticking it in the .ini. I decided to get more basic with my own mod and made the simplest thing i could think of that would be obvious. I created a directory in the main game\mods directory called Blue Chinese. In that i created the directory structure Assets\XML\Civilizations, and copied the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml from the main game\Assets\XML\Civilizations directory. I then edited the file and switched the civ colors for american and china, thats it. I tried to load that with the .ini thing; I also tried it by loading from in game options. I loaded both holding shift and the game says the mod is loaded; text top right. The colors however have not changed, so I got drastic. I backed up the main files(or rather file) in Assets and replaced it. Tried it again and it worked. I am hoping someone can point out something glaringly obvious that I missed and I can finally get a self made mod to work. I appreciate any help you can give me. Oh, and here is the file in case I missed something there.

Attachments

• Blue Chinese.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 284
the "buggy way" in the original post is now incorrect. That bug has been fixed for some time (I am not sure which patch fixed it, but it is fixed in 1.61)

I load all my mods in the "My Documents" path and I have no problems

-Iustus

Top Bottom