BEFORE you publish or download a Mod, PLEASE READ

I too have not been able to get my mod working.

I firstly put my mod files in CustomAssets and they worked a treat - but using the directory structure described in this thread doesn't work for me. I get the name of my mod in the top corner but my changes are not in effect.

I have checked all over for a cache directory (I am looking for hidden folders!) but there is nothing. :mad:

I'm going to try deleting the game and reinstalling - I'll post back if that works.

Irons said:
I too have not been able to get my mod working.

I firstly put my mod files in CustomAssets and they worked a treat - but using the directory structure described in this thread doesn't work for me. I get the name of my mod in the top corner but my changes are not in effect.

I have checked all over for a cache directory (I am looking for hidden folders!) but there is nothing. :mad:

I'm going to try deleting the game and reinstalling - I'll post back if that works.

Un explorer got to tools/view/hidden files and folders/ check "show hidden files and folders.

Thanks goofydink but I've already done that - the cache folder is just not there!

In any case, I've uninstalled, removed all left over directories and files (except my mod) and reinstalled and all is well now.

I recommend AGAINST touching the CustomAssets folder as it seems to be the cause of my grief.

Irons said:
Thanks goofydink but I've already done that - the cache folder is just not there!

In any case, I've uninstalled, removed all left over directories and files (except my mod) and reinstalled and all is well now.

I recommend AGAINST touching the CustomAssets folder as it seems to be the cause of my grief.

Well I must be missing something i tried that, still dos not work:confused:

Irons said:

I had the same problem. Here's the solution:

The game installs to three directories - the main Firaxis directory (where the game and mod folders are), the Documents\My Games directory (where the CustomAssets are), and the one you are missing: the Application Data\My Games directory (there the cache folder is).

When installing a mod, clear the cache from this folder (probably: \your name\Application Data\My Games\Civilization 4\cache\)

Remember - Application Data "My Games", not the Documents "My Games" (confusing, I know).

CustomAssets is just fine for installation. It's the 'Mods' directory in the My Games folder that's the problem.

Wyz_sub10 said:
I had the same problem. Here's the solution:

The game installs to three directories - the main Firaxis directory (where the game and mod folders are), the Documents\My Games directory (where the CustomAssets are), and the one you are missing: the Application Data\My Games directory (there the cache folder is).

When installing a mod, clear the cache from this folder (probably: \your name\Application Data\My Games\Civilization 4\cache\)

Remember - Application Data "My Games", not the Documents "My Games" (confusing, I know).

CustomAssets is just fine for installation. It's the 'Mods' directory in the My Games folder that's the problem.

I cleared the cache dir under application data\my games folder..... uearred the files to the "custom assests dir". I do not even see the mod as a choice to load.

Thanx for the help, I give up on this one.

goofydink said:
I do not even see the mod as a choice to load.
You shouldn't see the mod if you put it in customassets. It's loaded automaticly every game except if another mod override it.

snarko said:
You shouldn't see the mod if you put it in customassets. It's loaded automacly every game except if another mod override it.

Ok! I see it now......!!!! Thanx!!:)

Rayanth said:
EXCEPTIONS
I noted a few exceptions to the practices outlined above. I am listing them here.

1) HUD Mods. Until the developers make these loadable via the Mod, the HUD is loaded from a directory that is not overwritten by mods. This directory is C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Resource -- Mods (including the one I will eventually be posting, keep tuned) for the HUD will require you to overwrite the game's original files... in this case you should most definitely back up your originals.

What is a HUD mod?

The reason i use "HUD" is because the developers did. it is interchangeable with GUI (Graphical User Interface) which is also occasionally used in the files.

the HUD is the portion of the game that give syou information, and allows you to give the game information -- all of the buttons, text, information panels etc...

however, I *have* found a way to make these mod-specific. It will take me some time to post a clear tutorial though.

If you press Ctrl-I in game, the portion that disappears is the HUD.

I hate to say this but I am having the same problem Irons is about the Cache. I have 'show hidden files' check-marked yet can't find the cache folder. Does it have to do with the fact I have not started a mod game yet? Is that when the cache comes into play?
Thanks for all the expertise fellas.

Just to make sure, you are not looking for the cache in my documents right? It's in application data (easy way there: %appdata%).

If you are then I don't know what the problem is. The cache should be created when you start a normal game. Perhaps any game (not sure about when using mods).

Vilu has a (possibly) very valuble mod but with a different procedure that I wanted to check out with you. It is his Technology Cost Editor tool and he tries to overwrite an original file using an executable program. In addition, he is doing the overwriting in the 'Assets' folder. My question is, may this be an exception where we would use the 'CustomAssets' folder because the mod is an executable file instead of just an xml?

:confused: :confused: You won't believe it snarko but I still can't see it. I must be missing something. Can I take a screen shot of this? Does anyone know how so you guys can see if I'm missing something about my cache folder? No hidden files or folders and I'm in my 'Application Data' file.

In your application data directory you need to go to "my games". Then "civilization 4" (or something like that). That is where the cache is. Also it's application data itself which is hidden. If you are there you don't need to look for anything hidden anymore.

I have tried that too but there is no 'cache' folder to speak of. I'm vexed. Terribly vexed.

twelvetime said:
Vilu has a (possibly) very valuble mod but with a different procedure that I wanted to check out with you. It is his Technology Cost Editor tool and he tries to overwrite an original file using an executable program. In addition, he is doing the overwriting in the 'Assets' folder. My question is, may this be an exception where we would use the 'CustomAssets' folder because the mod is an executable file instead of just an xml?

Hm. Well, given the method he's using, yeah i can see why he is overwriting the originals. however you can still back out of this -- back up the original, let his program overwrite the original, then move the new file(s) to CustomAssets in the appropriate location(s), and move the original back in to its proper place. it's a longer method but should result in the same thing.

Top Bottom