Beginner's Guide/Tips?

Killer Rabbit

Chieftain
I tried Humankind last fall but didn't get into it, and figured I'd jump back in with the new patch.

I LOVE the look of the game--the map is beautiful, as is the art--but am pretty lost as to what I should be doing in the early game. Should I focus on outposts or cities? How many outposts/cities should I be going for?

More importantly: Is there an up-to-date beginner's guide out there somewhere that offers some good tips? I want to like this game!

I try to get at least two outposts in the neolithic era. Then I upgrade one to a city and attach the other as soon as possible. First building is always pottery for me. Then I wait for the civics that give influence and reduce outpost creation cost (the latter civic is turned around later on once most of the land is grabbed). After having these activated, I create another outpost that upgrades to a city asap. Getting this second city fast seems really important. Afterwards, I focus on spamming outposts, but attach only until my cities have 3-4 territories. The third city is usually conquered from independent people or an AI. Some things have an impact on this strategy, for example finding natural wonders nearby, which should be claimed. Not sure if this is the best approach, but it works fine for me.

There are some videos from near release, such as the ones by Marbozir. They may be outdated, but in many (basic) ways probably still worthwhile to watch.

Last edited:
1. While one is exploring the map, one will want to look after territories that are plentiful in resources. The luxury goods do have some minor differences, but Horses and Copper are visible during the Ancient Era, and securing strategic resources is good for more than just war.

2. Specifically during the Ancient Era, one wants to get 10 curiosities before moving on. There's an event that's unlocked by doing so which grants one an Ancient Era legacy trait. The possible choices are +1 Food per population, +1 Industry per population, and +1 Science per population. This is a really good bonus that lasts for the entire game, so it's pretty important to prioritize.

3. Don't feel rushed about having to claim a culture in any era. Most of the cultures are fun and good in their own way, so unless one wants a specific culture for a specific thing, any culture should be fine. It's not good to stay behind too much, but learning when to move on is something that takes some experimentation and a few sessions to get used to.

4. When in combat, be mindful of the terrain that the units are on. Particularly in the Ancient Era, mammoths are a pretty tough fight for tribes head on, but there are a few ways one can adjust the fight in one's favor:
- Try to fight from high ground. The high ground bonus is actually pretty significant, and lets tribes fight mammoths.
- Try to force enemy units to fight from river tiles (and avoid placing one's units on river tiles when possible). The river penalty isn't as drastic as the high ground bonus, but it's still significant.
- Try to fight with your units clustered. Units get +1 str per adjacent friendly unit, which can build up into a meaningful difference.

5. Bears are very angry! Running away from bears is fine, but maintaining a defensive position is usually enough for a single tribe to fight off a single bear if they're on even terrain.

Last edited:
I am unable to get through even 40 turns of this game. I have played 20 games and I have lost 20 games, and I lose in the neolithic era, to animals destroying over half of my tribe, or AI cultures (in the ancient era on turn 3 somehow) attacking me, or blocking my movement turn after turn.
Or, if I get out of the neolithic era, there are no unclaimed territories anywhere and I then die trespassing in someone else's territory looking for another.

What am I doing wrong.

I am unable to get through even 40 turns of this game. I have played 20 games and I have lost 20 games, and I lose in the neolithic era, to animals destroying over half of my tribe, or AI cultures (in the ancient era on turn 3 somehow) attacking me, or blocking my movement turn after turn.
Or, if I get out of the neolithic era, there are no unclaimed territories anywhere and I then die trespassing in someone else's territory looking for another.

What am I doing wrong.
If you lose ANY units to wild animals you are not getting the basics of combat. You should always win to deers and bears, and with 2 tribe units you should also beat mammoths every time.

Are you checking the combat modifiers? Are you using the terrain to your advantage? How are you playing combat?

What am I doing wrong.
1.) If you are not very familiar with the combat system, avoid fighting bears and mammoths with single units. Mammoths won‘t attack you by themselves, so just let them roam if you don‘t have two units for the combat. If you have two units, try to make use of a height advantage or rear attack bonus. Once you feel comfortable with the combat system, terrain might allow to deal with mammoths with a single unit.

2.) Always go for the curiosities. food makes your tribe grow once you reach a certain threshold of it, and then you can split off the new unit to explore with multiple ones. The science curiosities are similarly important: while the science boost won‘t kick in until you leave the Neolithic era, the influence you get from these is vital for 3.

3.) claim territories in the Neolithic era. They are very cheap, and the malus for claiming territories away from you first one is also smaller than later. So grab at least two territories in the first era. Preferably ones that have some strategic resources or good luxuries.

4.) once you‘ve settled (left the first era), upgrade an outpost to your city and build the pottery workshop. Influence is the scarcest resource in that phase of the game, and you need a lot of it for expansion and civics. Get the civic that allows for -50% outpost creation cost as soon as it unlocks.

5.) just to make sure: what difficulty are you playing on? To make things easier with the AI, you could create a map with as many continents as there are players and hope you are alone on yours.

I would be really curious to see a recording of your Neolithic, but that is not always possible. It could be helpful to focus on one thing at a time. For instance, start a game on Normal speed and just focus on combat with animals, taking notes on what works (terrain, elevation, moves, number of units). The battlefield varies based on where the battle is initiated, so you can also play with what looks like more favorable terrain. If you want, you could post a few screenshots (spoilered) of the deployment phase of battle to help figure out terrain, or even screenshots of the three rounds.

Bears are the only animal that will initiate combat with you.

Probably after combat, I would focus on population, with a goal of 10 units by the end of the Neolithic. Then, focus on getting enough influence to claim at least two territories. You will probably encounter other tribes, and AI combat is different, so maybe table that for the Ancient Era. Ideally the Neolithic should be fun, as you have to balance competing priorities of hunting, curiosities, population, influence, and cultures (with all the links among them), and in general it varies significantly from game to game.

I should have recorded. This game is cracked. Is my local machine producing inappropriate RNs or something? I got lucky with every phenomenon around me being a scientific goody, and got the star on turn 5. I wait a turn to go pick up at least one more food to get to a second hunting party.

I'm in a river, and my move is only 2 for some reason. I move two spaces, there's a bear in my path. I can't retreat, I lose to the bear, I get the Neanderthal achievement.

I should have just bought Endless Legend this game is awful.

I should have just bought Endless Legend this game is awful.
Do you honestly, sincerely believe this is a typical Humankind experience and every player loses all the time like this? Or do you think the game is coded in a way that it screws you - you personally - as soon as it detects is you? Or... there must be third option...

Is there some sincere reason that warrants any defensiveness over my comment? Or did you just see an opportunity to hurt someone's feelings without using words that directly admit to doing so?

Is there some sincere reason that warrants any defensiveness over my comment? Or did you just see an opportunity to hurt someone's feelings without using words that directly admit to doing so?
You are making a very drastic conclusion based on essentially nothing. Just play again, and maybe then you will say 'wow, I'm glad I bought Humankind!'. And then you'll be happier for it. :)

Top Bottom