beign a democracy SUCKS

well no, because usually you have a strong core, which by the time you get Modner armor, you have depending on the map, 5-20 cities producing about 80-150 shields each.

In my current game, I was pumping out ~17 Tanks per 2 turns as a Democracy (15 cities at 2 turns per, 1 at 1 per, 1 at 3 per, if memory serves) on a Standard map. I have a bunch more cities, but they were busy building other things. Anyway, the turn after discovering Motorized Transport, I produced 16 Tanks (I used Infantry as prebuilds and switched them to Tanks asap). Perhaps 5 turns after that, my armada left for Egypt.

Being a democracy allowed me to pull well away from the AI in tech and finish the development of my land at a reasonable pace (I'm Rome, so no industrious workers for me). It also allowed me to get very rich... I have ~8000 gold in my treasury, and I rushbuild things often, so it's not like I'm not spending it!

Most of my cities are productive (most can build Tanks in 2 turns, most others in 3). Even my cities in what used to be Zululand (island off the coast of the other main continent... about as far from my homeland as you can get on the map) are somewhat productive. With courthouses, police stations, and WLTKD they are losing maybe 50% of their shields to waste. They aren't ever going to be powerhouses, but I don't need them to be. Frankly, I don't need them to produce anything. My core areas are productive enough. I'm just building them up for aesthetics.

With my production capacity and my tech lead (I have Tanks & Bombers, and am 1 turn from Mech Inf., while the Enemy has Infantry/Cavalry), the ongoing invasion of Egypt - the top AI civ - is proceeding quite well. I anticipate it will all be over before I hear a peep out of my citizens.

The ease with which I now wage ruthless aggressive war as a Democracy was set up thousands of years ago, when, first as a Despot and later as a King, I destroyed my neighbors (Arabs, Mongols, Vikings). Leaders from those wars allowed good Palace/FP placement and many Wonders of the World, such as Bach & the Sistine. Later, as a Democracy, I picked off the weak Zulu to claim my 5th local luxury. That war, while it constituted blatant aggression, did not result in my people rioting. Why? Because it was quick, and I gained a luxury to balance out the WW during the fighting.

Settings: standard map, continents, 70% water, normal temp/wetness, 4 billion, Monarch level, roaming barbs, cultural linking off, Rome.

-Arrian

Top Bottom