Benchmarks?

Spudsie74

Warlord
This refers to vanilla, as I just bought Rise & Fall, and have little experience with it.

I do have 2500+ hours in Civ 6 (vanilla), currently play at (mostly "Emperor," so I am a bit of a slacker). I am going for a more detailed approach (avoiding obvious, stupid mistakes), so I won't get totally smeared at Immortal/Deity. Here's my issue:

I try to gage my civ (compared to the others), and find that the score is not very helpful...since the AI gets perks at the upper levels, virtually all the other civs have me beat in score, money/turn, science/turn, culture/turn (you get the idea) by turn 100. That seems bad, but my 30 science/turn (and other stats, which at turn 75--100 are about half (or less) of the AI's) snowball, so that by turn 150, I have a good lead, and am usually well on the way to a domination victory.

The AI seems to be unable to keep the "breeding like roaches" growth rate that I try to emulate.

I think this happens because, although the AI gets perks, it plays so poorly that having double or triple my score is no lead at all....between turns 75-150 I almost always pass up the AI.

What sort of yardstick do Civ Fanatics use to measure in--game sucsess? I mean so I can tell if I am doing welll, or gettting trounced. I currently just do it by feel, and am sure that that will NOT work well with R&F.

Any advice?

Personally I do not pay that much attention to the score or where AI is at. On deity AI will only win around turn 300.
I know that if I do well I will win so I focus on getting out cities. I know if I can get out or capture a good number of cities by turn 100 I am good. If I only have 5 I will struggle, if I have 10 I have it made

Last edited:
It’s the same feel for Diety and immortal in Rise and Fall.

The best benchmark I think is how many cities you have by turn 100 and their quality. If you have 10 cities you can usually win without taking anything from the AI. Especially a science victory. Don’t be afraid of Diety. I could easily win on emperor and played a lot of king. Went to Diety and only lost when I did stupid or aggressive actions in the early game that got me rolled by a nearby opponent.

Generally on Diety if you want to straight up always win everytime start conservative. Build a smart war machine. Take out some AI either super early or mid game. Get a science victory around turn 260-280. I think this is the most efficient way on emperor as well.

I used to get overwhelmed by how far behind I was and how bad it seemed at turn 140-160 but if you are a smart player on emperor and win in the 250-260 range you’ll always pull ahead and win Diety. Or at least most of the time.

And if all else fails build early theater squares and trade great works the first turn you get them. You don’t even need a good economy, you just steal the AI’s gold.

And use your spies.

Top Bottom