• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Benefits of First Strike

ronnybiggs said:
Not only does every attacking unit get weakened by CKN first strike before it attacks, it subjects all other units in its tile to a CKN's collateral damage.

I don't think that a CKN taking defensive pose could deliver its collateral damage like you said.

But if you plan to take out axemen outside the city, crossbow is a natural predator of axemen due to its bonus against melee. CKN is even deadlier with its collateral.

ekanata said:
I don't think that a CKN taking defensive pose could deliver its collateral damage like you said.

Yeah I think you're right. At any rate, it's looking better just to give a CKN a standard strength promotion. It's still a fun unit.

Well after playing some more with CKN's I found they make great city defenders. As a matter of fact, if you have a couple of them fortified in a city, the AI prefers to just slip by the city and start raiding your countryside. Which is not necessarily a good thing (you'd rather siphon him onto a highly fortified city) but it's worth knowing should you play the Chinese.

I find that countering samurai with nuclear bombs either
A) softens them up for my spearmen
or
B) kills them

porkdiesel said:
I find that countering samurai with nuclear bombs either
A) softens them up for my spearmen
or
B) kills them

Well, that tip oughta be useful when your medieval army encounters Toku's samurais :) .

Well now I've moved on to Catherine. I must say dem cossacks are just LOVELY units! Just lovely I tells ya.

CKNs - final analysis - if you've got cities to defend against invasions, they can be good fortifications. Just mix a couple CKNs with City Garrison with CKNs with drill or strength - they can double as catapults to weaken a sieging enemy with their Collateral Damage. With that combination nobody will dare come at you with macemen and catapults.

But Cossacks... mmm baby... and the best part is you grab them right when you grab Nationalism. Oh Catherine, come let me love you... :cool:

I guess that First strike means it can bombard once before it attacks. Bombard+Attack.
so, 2 first strikes means 2 times of bombard are available. I thought its 10%. But there is no collateral damage.

Colossian said:
I guess that First strike means it can bombard once before it attacks. Bombard+Attack.
so, 2 first strikes means 2 times of bombard are available. I thought its 10%. But there is no collateral damage.

I think all such units only get to bombard once - otherwise who would do +20% bombard damage on cats when you can give them Drill 1 and effectively double it?

Top Bottom