Best approach for a domination victory

Ok scratch all that I just posted above. I have finally sat down and read various civ strategies (any GGrayson one and that fire-guy that put the Spanish island one up are my fav ones so far). And they have made me 1000x better in SP. Haven't tried MP yet.

Thans guys, I agree that was really good and detailed.

I actually managed to pull it off today. Well actually my playstation crashed - but I had taken 3 capitals and the 4th belonged to a fairly weak civilization.

At the end the computer showed some amazing abilities to defeat 72 attack artillery with 30 defense units. Was I just unlucky or can you get secret bonus defense points that dont appear in that number?

I believe that on higher difficulties the AI gets a combat bonus. I have played enough Deity games now to be sure that the combat outcomes are not just the ratio of the two units' combat power. I almost never win a fight which is even or when I am at a disadvantage. I lose surprisingly frequently when I have an advantage less than 2 to 1. I think that the AI gets a bigger bonus when defending. The occasions where I win an even fight are almost always when I am the defender.

I believe that on higher difficulties the AI gets a combat bonus. I have played enough Deity games now to be sure that the combat outcomes are not just the ratio of the two units' combat power. I almost never win a fight which is even or when I am at a disadvantage. I lose surprisingly frequently when I have an advantage less than 2 to 1. I think that the AI gets a bigger bonus when defending. The occasions where I win an even fight are almost always when I am the defender.

This has, probably unsurprisingly, been discussed on another forum. It's not really possible to say for sure, but one player collected some stats that indicated that the numbers are basically what you see is what you get. That good odds usually meant a win, bad odds usually mean a loss and middling odds can go either way and that this is generally true no matter what difficulty you play on or if you are playing online.

This is generally my experience as well. We don't have a clear picture of how combat works. I've got some theories I won't bore you with unless you really want to know. Suffice to say the odds shown are a pretty clear indicator of who will win, but just having an advantage shown doesn't mean you're gonna win.

elthrasher, you ruined this game for me!

I've been playing this on the PS3 for about 6 months and kept seeing people on the leader boards with BC and very early AD wins and just could not comprehend how they could possibly be doing it. I even tried to google "cheat codes" for this game several times thinking they must somehow be cheating to win so early on, I was lucky to finish in the 1990's, usually into 2000, sometimes the game even timed out on me.

Just tried your Aztec rush the Horseman and crank out the cities with workers managed to production then switch to technology method. 1 Horse Army upgraded with infiltration from slaying Barbarians and an acquired Spy from Villagers turned out to be all I needed to sweep the board clean by 1000 AD.

My biggest mistakes before (other than not finding this site and the info sooner) were never even researching the Horseman option, and leaving my workers managed to "balanced". I always had a feeling I should be messing with the worker management option, but just thought if I switch it to gain in one area I'll be losing too much in others so "balanced" seemed like the best way to go in my mind. What a difference your advice made, but it kind of took the fun out of playing, it just made winning too fast and easy. I'm ruined now though, it's not like I could ever go back to playing like I had been now that I know better, but I have to admit the game isn't nearly as much fun to play when I just sweep through it like this.

Top Bottom