Best Civ version?

Zatara

Chieftain
I played Civ II a long time ago when in the years right after it came out, and was engrossed by it. I haven't played much of anything in the years since. I still play the old Civ II once or twice a month, but I was curious about all the following versions and have wanted to give them a try for a while now, but wasn't sure which one is the 'best' - if there is such a thing. Also, I'm wondering how different the newer versions are from the one I'm familiar with - and whether there would be a steep learning curve (as I would prefer not to spend too much time just to figure out how everything works). I'd appreciate any input anyone would have on this.

CIV2 Test of Time edition. Basically, the most moddable version of CIV2.
I'd advise checking out the threads here, and refresh yourself with the
great CIV2 MGE content, and if you wish, head over to our thread and
check out the scenario making going on...

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ2-scenario-league.428/

Ah, Test of Time. I should have known that. I assumed someone would say Civ 6 or something, I guess I wasn't thinking of an old Civ 2 version.

I've been through a few of the threads here. I was just looking back over the Civ 2 battle rules and formulas page the other day. It's very helpful, as are the other threads I've looked at. I will certainly check out others as other questions pop up.

But I was just curious about the subsequent Civ versions - Civ 3 through Civ 6 - and whether they would be worth giving a try, particularly for someone who has loved Civ 2 for a long time.

But I was just curious about the subsequent Civ versions - Civ 3 through Civ 6 - and whether they would be worth giving a try, particularly for someone who has loved Civ 2 for a long time.
Having played Colonization for few years then Civ2-upgraded later for civ2MGE- for at least ten child years, I love to find back enhancements with Civ2ToT, even more with civ2ToTpp.

On the other side, while I didn't got caught by Civnet, Alpha Centauri, Call To Power or Civ3, I had a strong liking to Civ4, playing it for few years too.
Civ5 and Civ6 didn't survive a small try, having less than few minutes spent on it.
On another branch, I didn't try Humankind, which from what was shown I consider a scam having played Endless Legend few dozen hours.

Somehow, that's only a matter of tastes, after all.

There was a post in OT not that long ago about this where you will get a wider range of opinions than the crowd who hang out in Civ2 :)

Having played Colonization for few years then Civ2-upgraded later for civ2MGE- for at least ten child years, I love to find back enhancements with Civ2ToT, even more with civ2ToTpp.

On the other side, while I didn't got caught by Civnet, Alpha Centauri, Call To Power or Civ3, I had a strong liking to Civ4, playing it for few years too.
Civ5 and Civ6 didn't survive a small try, having less than few minutes spent on it.
On another branch, I didn't try Humankind, which from what was shown I consider a scam having played Endless Legend few dozen hours.

Somehow, that's only a matter of tastes, after all.
Civ 4, over 5 and 6 - interesting. Thanks for the input. I actually have tried Civ 6 on the phone version, which I heard is a lesser version of the PC version. I didn't put much time into it, so I can't say anything too definitively, but it felt a lot different than the Civ 2 I've been used to for so long... obviously a lot more sophisticated with modern game-programming, but as they say, sometimes less is more.

Last edited:
I played Civ3 and found it sort of bland, messed around in Civ4, and liked hearing Nemoy. Civ5 was pretty soulless, and by Civ6, I was utterly done.
Back to CIV2, and the modding. Nothing matches the original and best. Civ1 was the ancient classic, but Civ2 never has, and never will be bested.

I started with ToT but also played 3 and 4, never being good at any of them. To me, 4 felt a lot more like 2 than 3 did. Test of Time still has advantages over the later games. I like how it feels when you're exploring and know another civilization is nearby because you see irrigation, or a road. Cultural borders ruined that, as well as the concept of controlling a tile by occupying it. The Fantasy and Science Fiction games in ToT (with four simultaneous maps) are another thing the later games can't match. I don't think 2 is always better than its successors, but it feels like it does a lot with its relatively simple rules. I've never played 5 or 6 and likely never will, but it always seemed to me that the units per tile restriction those games use would be an inferior way of doing the same thing 2 (and 1?) does with its stack killing system. Likewise, 4 has a complex city maintenance system to limit expansion, but 2 has unhappiness from more cities that can have a similar effect. And as far as I know, none of the later games has the terrain transformations :confused:

Each game has its advantages over the others, so whichever you prefer overall will depend on what properties you value more. I think 2 and 4 are about equally good overall, both being better than 3, although 3 is graphically the best.

I started with ToT but also played 3 and 4, never being good at any of them. To me, 4 felt a lot more like 2 than 3 did. Test of Time still has advantages over the later games. I like how it feels when you're exploring and know another civilization is nearby because you see irrigation, or a road. Cultural borders ruined that, as well as the concept of controlling a tile by occupying it. The Fantasy and Science Fiction games in ToT (with four simultaneous maps) are another thing the later games can't match. I don't think 2 is always better than its successors, but it feels like it does a lot with its relatively simple rules. I've never played 5 or 6 and likely never will, but it always seemed to me that the units per tile restriction those games use would be an inferior way of doing the same thing 2 (and 1?) does with its stack killing system. Likewise, 4 has a complex city maintenance system to limit expansion, but 2 has unhappiness from more cities that can have a similar effect. And as far as I know, none of the later games has the terrain transformations :confused:

Each game has its advantages over the others, so whichever you prefer overall will depend on what properties you value more. I think 2 and 4 are about equally good overall, both being better than 3, although 3 is graphically the best.
I appreciate the detailed opinion/explanation. I understand and agree that each person will like different aspects of the game - and which game version one prefers depends on each individual's likes and dislikes. Your reply - and some of the more detailed replies I've seen in the offtopic section thread - pointing out some of the differences in versions helps me decide which version I haven't played may be best suited for my tastes. It looks like Civ 4 is the most popular (by quite a ways), and from what I've read it does seem like something I would like... so I will give it a try when I get the chance.

I do enjoy the terrain transformation, so I wonder why that was eliminated. I have read a lot about the unit stacking versus one unit per tile and it seems to be a consensus that they made it worse with one unit per tile - and I can use my imagination and understand why, even though I haven't experienced it myself.

I am curious about the four simultaneous maps aspect of ToT, I have heard a lot about that but have never seen it. I may have to try to check it out firsthand.

Go download over the Reich and you can see 3 maps in action that all affect each other via Lua. The new TES scenario by @Dadais also makes great use of multiple maps (surface and subterranean lairs).

Top Bottom