Best Ground Unit

I would have to agree, the Calvary are my fav. Next to them though, is the swordsman, at that time the swordsman if you can make it, is a truly awesome unit.

I would say my least fav. is the longbowman, I'm not sure I've ever used it more than a couple ones here and there...

Settlers and workers. :mischief:

For military units my favourites are:

UU: Ottoman Sipahi. Like cavalry but have an attack boost which allows them to compete with infantry, making them useful until well into the modern age... of course that's if the game lasts that long.

Non UU: Artillery. A stack of 20+ of these can reduce a city to rubble and make it easy to conquer strong civs.

Infantry is my favorite. They defend the best until the modern age. They have six attack, same as cav, so they can attack an enemy SOD and take out a red lined unit with almost the same chance as cavalry(retreat) yet they are cheaper. I use the draft quite liberally after I get inf and I get tons of free units that I can use to build a solid line to keep enemy cav out from behind my lines. I'll risk attacking a red lined unit with my conscript inf and if they win I get a regular unit, if they die no big deal.

i'd have to say marine, cav, and infantry. the infantry 'cause it can defend and attack. the cav because of teh 3 moves and the marine is so useful when attacking an island or another continent.

The Sipahi - a nicely overpowered cavalry

Artillery - It's the gamebreaker in almost every game.

Settlers - In a war, having ten settlers in the attacking stack will guarantee that you have a new base within the same couple of turns that you raze an enemy city. Hurry a defensive unit, and move your army two tiles, and you can get to the enemy capital in less time than it takes to build a new defensive unit in the core. In peacetime, having those same ten settlers will spawn an empire in under five turns.

Workers - It's the grunts that do the dirty work, and yet are so vital to the economy.

UU - Samurai, Rider or Immortal. - A wave of these can destroy an empire in a hundreth of the time it took to build it.

budweiser said:
Infantry is my favorite. They defend the best until the modern age. They have six attack, same as cav, so they can attack an enemy SOD and take out a red lined unit with almost the same chance as cavalry(retreat) yet they are cheaper. I use the draft quite liberally after I get inf and I get tons of free units that I can use to build a solid line to keep enemy cav out from behind my lines. I'll risk attacking a red lined unit with my conscript inf and if they win I get a regular unit, if they die no big deal.

How is 90 shields cheaper than 80?

I would have to say game after game that Cavalry dominate the battle field, as for UU, I haven't found one that so changes my tactics or stays in play for such a long time that I have to have it, but the Immortal is becoming that...

Workers, of course. Followed in a not-close race by Artillery.

Anything with 3 movement points! Mobility is key, at least for me. I always end up as a democracy, so I can never afford a protracred war. Put shortly: blitzkrieg!

Top Bottom