Best Ground Unit

But the panzer is used for such a short period of time before you get the mechs...

Legionaries. Good as pikemen (or hoplite) in defense, good as swordsmen in attack.
Their superior strength is clear when you stack 10/15 of them to go conquer some cities. Every single unit may be used for both attack and defense with equal effectiveness.

Artillery and Panzers would be my second and third choice. Arty is awesome to redline enemies. Panzers are super in blitzkrieg-style attack. Too bad most of my games end before Replaceable Parts are discovered... ;)

Gallic swordsmen, because of the huge additionnal movement point in AA

Early in the game I go for swordsman
then knight but mainly for the cavalry upgrade.
Cavalry is probably my final answer.
I'm in a game using the Sipahi for the first time.
They're awesome but expensive.

Yeah, I unquestionably have a movement bias too. Overall, the cavalry can't be beat. But for early offensive punch, the ancient cavalry is killer, especially if you can dump them into an army! Amongst the UUs, for fun and utility, the Conquistador. For shock value, Immortals or Cossacks (under Conquests, of course, the latter have blitz and can wreak untold havoc).

cavalry is probably the best land military unit. They have an excellent upgrade path, they are very mobile, good attack and require 2 resources that you have had time to acquire. The only complaint i have is that it does not upgrade any further. I guess it would be too abusive if it upgraded to tanks.

I like the Workers the best.

Millitary-wise, I like the Crusader, Ancient Cavalry, Guerrilla and Knight. No reasons. Just do.

UU's: Hoplite- Ancient Times Pikeman that doesn't need Iron!
Hwach'a- the name riminds me of Howitza!!!
Javelin Thrower- CAPTURE THOSE PRECIOUS WORKERS!!!

modern armor, but by the time you get the needed tech the game is almost over
cavalry
knights
for UU the samuri are good too as they allow military expansion early in the game

It gotta be infantry I make a stack of like 50+ of these things and with another 75+ of arty you got an unstopable stack of 6.12.1 infantry.

I think that Berserks and Cossacks are some of the best units in the game for their time application. Both of these units allow you to access traits that can't be accessed by any other unit until more modern times, and that beats almost any defensive or offensive advantage. The Berserk, in particular, is absolutely wonderful. Not only does it have 6 attack, unheard of when most civs have musketmen and pikes, but it also is amphibious, meaning that as long s you're attacking a coastal town, it effectively has a movement of 4 or 5.

Musketeers have to be up on top there, too. They're so powerful on the defense, even Cavs have trouble with a couple stacked Musketeers. For their tech, lots more powerful than Swiss mercencaries, comparatively speaking.

Welcome to CFC Roxlimn!

I hope everyone is considering that without settlers, you wouldn't have an empire, and without workers, you can't really build anything or get any decent gold!

I'm changing my vote --

Bombers! Nothing better for turning your opponant's SOD into bodies and sharpnal. (Greece tried a modern age invasion on my last game, and Alexander's 50 unit stack never made it within shooting distance of my frontiers.) Lethal bombardment rules! :lol:

Workers! I can't believe how I overlooked this essential little guys.

Roxlimn said:
Musketeers have to be up on top there, too. They're so powerful on the defense, even Cavs have trouble with a couple stacked Musketeers. For their tech, lots more powerful than Swiss mercencaries, comparatively speaking.

Musketeers offer a 25% defense improvement over musketmen while Swiss Mercenaries offer a 33% improvement. SM are the most cost effective unit in the game. They are practical equivalent of the 60 shield musketman for only 30 shields. I'll take 2 SM any day over 1 musketeer.

Top Bottom