Best Mobile Gaming?

H4run

Deity
Hate it or love it, most of us have smart phones and want to play something with it, I mean why not? 2-4 GB Ram with nice processor and all of that? It will be wasted not to use it for gaming :mischief:

So what is the best mobile gaming you ever play?

Mine:
1. Cat Quest: Nice rpg, and the main character is a cat enough to make this game awesome :lol:
2. Crashlands: This is an amazing games, I spend hours on it, but after a while it becomes quite tedious and grindy, however the humour, storyline and the world is just amazing. I think many peoples here can appreciated this game more than I do.
3. Shadow Fight 2: I like 2D fighting game, and this game is an awesome one for that. Remind me of the old Samurai Spirit game.
4. Onmyoji Arena: PvP Mobile gaming, quite fun, you can finish the game in averagely 15 min with a good connection and nice graphic.

The game that look interesting but I haven't buy it yet:
1. Star Wars KOTOR: Play it on pc, it would be awesome if I play it again on my phone. And I read the adaptation is quite nice, the price also reasonable.
2. Baldur Gate: If only I have bigger phone or tablet :blush:
3. Final Fantasy Tactics: I read it is a nice adaptation. Until Square Soft drop the price, spending so much money just to replay this on phone is sound wasting. Unless they remake it of course which is not the case.
4. Crystal Story: look like a nice and cheap rpg series, but I'm not sure if I should buy it or not.

if you like retro rpg games then shining force is worth picking up. It works quite well and is a decent port. Wish i could say the same for Chrono Trigger - but dont bother.

I also think any game made by Ironhide studios is usually worth a look. They mainly focus on the tower defence space, but its really well done, has a great sound track, and mostly the in app purchases seem fair and proportionate. Try the free Kingdom Rush for a look. But they have other titles that mainly build on that forumla, which is a winning one.

And I do also think the highly popular plants vs zombies 1 & 2 are both excellent.

Other ones worth considering:

Steppy pants - a humorous arcade chopper/frogger type game thats quite original and a good little 5 minute waster
High Dive harry - same as above. And you can compete with friends for the high score
Doodle jump - another fun little game. If you like platformers you should enjoy it. And it doesnt over complicate things

I think the problem with many mobile games is they try to be too slick. Too like triple A titles. And too power hungry. I really couldnt give a damn about superb graphics or what not - if i want that id play on my PC. IMO all that means is that the phone tends to lose its battery in about 1-2 hours. Id much rather have a simple game, thats not too taxing on the battery, is well made, isnt stuffed full of those awful pay to win mechanics and micro transactions, and is just a good honest and fun title. I would much rather mobile gaming went down the route of asking for up front money for their games. As opposed to advertising them as "FREE", and then you have to gamble money in order to either be competitive, or even play the damn thing. Worst example of that recently is Hogwarts a mystery. Ive not played it, but the Jimquisition episode on Youtube is quite amusing ("Harry Potter and the crock of horsehocky").

PS - still looking for a good strategy game. If anyone has any recommendations?

if you like retro rpg games then shining force is worth picking up. It works quite well and is a decent port. Wish i could say the same for Chrono Trigger - but dont bother.

That is Sega Genesis game right? I heard that title a lot but never actually play it, I never had it on my console back then, I was too little to understand serious game, that time I play mostly sonic lol! I'm a huge appreciator of retro game, I will definitely check it out.

Square Soft is lazy, they put minimal effort but expect large jackpot money by exploiting their old title. With such a bad review they should at least make a sale on chrono trigger, but yes, the new square soft seems both bad as a game creator or as a corporation.

And I do also think the highly popular plants vs zombies 1 & 2 are both excellent.

I finish the first title for like 3 time already, the game is awesome, however for the second title after watching my nephew playing it, seeing tons of micro transactions really put me down.

I would much rather mobile gaming went down the route of asking for up front money for their games. As opposed to advertising them as "FREE", and then you have to gamble money in order to either be competitive

I agree, and I do understand that it is easier for people to try a "free game" and get hook with it and end up spend lots of money, than say they must pay a reasonable amount of money to play the game. I think the best is they should have both the demo version and the full version, hence people can at least try the game before buying it.

still looking for a good strategy game. If anyone has any recommendations?

I just remember, if you are lucky, you can try "Fire Emblem" mobile strategy game, it is unavailable in my country, if it is available in your country you really should try it. "Fire Emblem" series so far never disappointed me.

That is Sega Genesis game right? I heard that title a lot but never actually play it, I never had it on my console back then, I was too little to understand serious game, that time I play mostly sonic lol! I'm a huge appreciator of retro game, I will definitely check it out.

Square Soft is lazy, they put minimal effort but expect large jackpot money by exploiting their old title. With such a bad review they should at least make a sale on chrono trigger, but yes, the new square soft seems both bad as a game creator or as a corporation.

Yes it is sega genesis. I wish they would port shining force 2 as well. Still waiting for that. But the first one is good as well, i just think the second is better. It is not terribly complicated. But its a cute little story, easy mechanics, easy to pick up, and easy to play. But most of all, it works well, which as you rightly point out is a real problem for square soft - who seem more intent on just cashing in than anything else. To not have auto save on chrono trigger on a mobile game is unforgivable. I instantly returned it when i found that out.

I agree, and I do understand that it is easier for people to try a "free game" and get hook with it and end up spend lots of money, than say they must pay a reasonable amount of money to play the game. I think the best is they should have both the demo version and the full version, hence people can at least try the game before buying it.

Every time i hear this sentiment i think back to the glory days of the 90s - when games, especially lower budget games, were released via shareware. So the developer would release about 10-20% of their game, and you would play it, and if you liked it then you would buy the whole thing. Thats a much more pro consumer model than the rubbish we have to put up with now.

And not played fire emblem - ill check it out. Thanks!

Every time i hear this sentiment i think back to the glory days of the 90s - when games, especially lower budget games, were released via shareware. So the developer would release about 10-20% of their game, and you would play it, and if you liked it then you would buy the whole thing. Thats a much more pro consumer model than the rubbish we have to put up with now.

90s, that's the golden age for gaming and music, and you mentioned shareware, its remind me if the first time I try shareware product, age of empire 2, I keep playing as natives American changing turn with my cousin, that's an amazing time, so many ambitious huge games released at that time that have a high replay value that we can even play it this very day.

And not played fire emblem - ill check it out. Thanks!

You must try Fire Emblem, that game is mind blowing, the only few games I know that dare enough to use permanent death. This is not your average strategy game for sure. If you can grab 3ds, try fire emblem awakening, the best of the series in my opinion.

I also remember the first time I played the shareware version of Age of Empires II. It supported multiplayer, with only one map and limited to the first three ages, but that didn't matter for the first time. This was probably in 2002, and we managed to get it working on two computers (one somewhat old) at my friend's house. Then we went at it. I still remember how I had a nice army of archers, which did well enough against the few militia and men at arms he was sending my way. But then he reached the third era, and all of a sudden he sent a couple battering rams at me. My archers were completely useless against them, and by the time I got a couple infantry ready, he already had reinforcements arriving and a number of my buildings destroyed, and it wasn't long before he'd won the game.

I think we played a second match that day as well. And although I was young at the time and wasn't able to buy it right away, it was a memorable game, and I did buy it within a year. Pretty soon it was one of my most-played games, and it would only fall to second place upon the arrival of Civilization III on my shelf in 2003.

But aside from the nostalgia that your post reminded me of, I'm probably about the worst person to ask about mobile gaming recommendations. My current phone is only technically a smartphone these days - it's no more powerful than the computer I played Civ3 on in 2003, with the same amount of RAM - and the only game I can remember playing on it was one of the Jackbox Party Pack games that has a web interface.

In my memory I play it either at the end of 1999 or early 2000, I remember at that time I was around first or second grade of high-school. However during 2002 I play age of empire via Lan in computer gaming center (the place where students hang out playing counter strike version 1.2 or 1.3, what a day...). I learn so many things there, like, how to only strictly attack buildings and improvement using trebuchet and use your troops to protect the trebuchet and making your barrack in front of enemies wall for faster reinforcement. Then I learn by myself how to systematically fast build your economy to second era and spam spearman and skirmisher and attack early on while your adversary still not making anything. I was pretty much undefeatable at duel, I just spam huge armies early on that cost only wood and food, however there is one person who can defeat me he is happend to be my classmate at school.

There are many phone game that don't demand too much system wise, like I get stumble many time by this game call age of civilization when I was looking for good strategy game at playstore, and that game look graphically oldschool, and yet offer quite interesting gameplay. There are 193 civilization to play with, and include many scenario, while the size of the game is only 18 mb.

Last edited:
Starbase Orion. One of the best 4X games. Was good both in single and multiplayer. Nicely balanced, with a neat race customization, friendly interface. It is basically a modern “upgraded” MoOII.

Solomon’s Keep/Boneyard. A well-made Diablo clone. Suitable for short sessions, when you need some intense action.

Real Racing (3?). I don’t like racing games at all. But this one captured me. Probably one of the highest quality simulation games on mobile platforms.

World of Tanks Blitz. As someone expressed it on the Russian parts of App Store, “Now I can kick arses while sitting in the toilet!”

RedSun. A solid clone of the early C&C/Red Alert games. Good and active multiplayer.

Polytopia. A simplified and very balanced civ-like 4X. Nothing left to take away. Feels like chess. Challenging.

Exiled Kingdoms. Yet another crpg, but a mobile one, which delivers you exactly that crpg experience of the old times.

If you are looking for a well done game that resembles civilization in a way, I recommend Rise of Civilizations. Quite addictive and requires lots of teamwork. Of course, as with all mobile games, whales are present, but so far, I survived without using cash.

Top Bottom