• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Best sporting moment?

Heres a list of the 800m world record progression. Lists all world records since 1912, and we've only improved 10 seconds in almost 100 years, so i think your either talking about a different distance or have the times wrong.

The 1957 NCAA Basketball Championship. The UNC Tarheels played a 2OT in the first Final Four game and then 3OT in the second, taking the national title.

CL Final 2005, we pretty much all know what happened. Lance Armstrong was another amazing achievment. Although I'm not a Blue Jays fan in baseball, I have to say that Joe Carter's come from behind, walk-off homerun to win the World Series against the Phillies in the '93 World Series, was pretty amazing, even though I was 5 at the time. Also, even though I wasn't born then, watching replays of the Americans 'Miracle on Ice' at the 1980 Winter Olympics is simply amazing.

I have to go with the miracle on ice: the US beating the USSR in olympic hockey in 1980. They brought in a tv let us watch that game in class, at the time it was much more than just a sporting event.

There are copious but Ali beating Foreman when no-one thought he would is an obvious one.

After 30 odd years of hurt England's 5-1 win in Munich was a dream come true.

Lance Armstrong though wins in for me. I heard that the had the highest recorded volume of blood pumped per minute or something like that anyways. Anyone know if this is true. (Without reverting to Wiki please!)

pboily said:
I think the Red Sox coming back from 3-0 to beat the Yankees in the ALCS was even more impressive.
I was gonna write that, but I kinda included that in the winning of the World Series.

farting bob said:
Heres a list of the 800m world record progression. Lists all world records since 1912, and we've only improved 10 seconds in almost 100 years, so i think your either talking about a different distance or have the times wrong.

Might have been a different distance. I'm sure he did it though I just caught the end of the race but it was pretty insane.

Tomoyo said:
I was gonna write that, but I kinda included that in the winning of the World Series.
yeah, I guess. I just think that the win over New York was a more memorable sporting event. I mean, they swept St. Louis... at any rate, I'm not a Sox fan so take that for what it's worth.

Drewcifer said:
I have to go with the miracle on ice: the US beating the USSR in olympic hockey in 1980. They brought in a tv let us watch that game in class, at the time it was much more than just a sporting event.

No choice but to agree here. This game could not have been scripted better by Hollywood (Not that Hollywood can write scripts anymore :lol: ) There is so much surrouding this story, goaltender Jim Craig overcoming the death of his mother, the team coming from behind for all of their wins, the atmosphere charged with Cold War animocity, Mark Johnson scoring with one second left in the period. Through it all, this group of unknown amatures come in and beat the (arguably) greatest team ever to play the sport, going on to win the gold medal at the olympics. Hands down the greatest sports story ever told.

Well, if you'd ask me what is my personnal best sporting moment, then it would be French victory at the World Cup 1998. I was at the Stade de France on that July 12th. I was at the Champs-Elysées afterwards among one and a half million people. I doubt I'll ever live such a sporting moment in the rest of my life. It mean it was huge, it was compared with Paris liberation in 1944 ! :eek:

It's not only about Frenchmen, everyone who was in Paris that night was cheering each others. I remember having danced on the Place de l'Etoile with Danish tourists who obviously didn't bother that much about football but were quite glad to be here. That was insanely huge. Never in my lifetime I've seen such a depressed people as the French one being so happy.

About the best sporting moment in general. I guess I'd go for Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin.

He shattered Hitler’s ideals of Aryan supremacy with his four gold medals : 100m, 200m, the long jump, and the 4x100m relay race. Despite Nazi beliefs and propaganda of that time, German fans loved Owens. A street in Berlin was named after him in 1980.

Besides the miracle between America beating USSR (hockey) here's another one I liked:

From 32 points behind to win:
AFC First-Round Playoff Game
Jan. 3, 1993 at Buffalo

Houston 7-21-7-3-0 38
Buffalo 3-0-28-7-3 41

If you saw it, you'd know why. 6 minute red storm!

Liverpool, Sorry England (3 Liverpool players though) ended 30 Years of hurt in Germany's backyard

You folks may not want to count this , but for me it is the 1973 Belmont Stakes (horse
racing). Secretariat won it by 31 lengths ; I remember when he was
running down the back stretch how far back they had to pan the camera to see
another horse.

Top Bottom