• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Best sporting moment?

farting bob

ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.
What would you consider to be the greatest sporting moment of all time? Can be from any (reasonable) sport, any time in any place, you dont have to of been there, or known much about the day, but what would you consider to be the greatest?
I got the idea from watching a program on BBC today about the 10 best athletics moments, and the one i voted for came out on top.
Michael johnson winning the 200m in atlanta '96, smashing the record by more than 3 tenths of a second, a massive margin in sprinting, not only for winning a race, but to break a world record by that much, is just inhuman adnw ill most liekly never be matched in terms of the margin he broke it by.
so that would be my greatest sporting moment, beating out England winning the world cup in '66, and england playing germany in a game of football on xmas day 1915 in no-mans land during a ceasefire.

The Michael Johnson 200 WR smash would top my list too.
Then I'd say the following :
- The 1992 European cup victory of wildcard team Denmark, who only got into the tournament because warring Yougoslavia was disqualified.
- The Wimbledon tennis victory of Goran Ivanisevic, also with a wildcard
- Lance Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tour de France wins after having defeated cancer.

SonicX said:
The Michael Johnson 200 WR smash would top my list too.
Then I'd say the following :
- The 1992 European cup victory of wildcard team Denmark, who only got into the tournament because warring Yougoslavia was disqualified.
- The Wimbledon tennis victory of Goran Ivanisevic, also with a wildcard
- Lance Armstrong's 7 consecutive Tour de France wins after having defeated cancer.
I wouldnt put denamrk near my top list (but then you probably wouldnt put world cup 66 in yours..), but certainly armstrong's 7 straight wins, is a incredible achievement. Ivanisevic stopepd henman making a wimbledon final in the best chance he ever had, so im a little biased on that 1. :p

English people and Henman ... it's the laugh of the month for the rest of the world :p

Denmark maybe isn't the best sportings achievement ever, but it's one that reflects one of the nice things of sport : everyone has a chance, no one has lost in advance. I like that.

And no, the WC '66 is less important to me since I've developed a hatred towards a guy called Platt in 1990.

For me personally clearly the 8th of May, 2004. Werder Bremen beat Bayern Munich 3-1 in the scum's stadium to win the league title at that very match day.

That was like kicking your worst enemy in the groins while being drunk and having the best sex of your life all at once. ;)

The best moment in itself was Klasnic's 1-0 (or technically 0-1), a horrible mistake by "goalkeeping titan" Oliver Kahn. :D

Mine would have to be Manchester United comback win in stoppage time to beat Bayern Munich to win the Champions League final in Barcelona 1999. That was also our treble winning season, so that year is a big deal for any Manchester United Fan.

I have no idea what to choose so many great things. I once watched this athletics competion very rare oocruance but there was an ethopian guy forget his name, he was about 18 it was his first ever event. In it he borke the 800m record by about 20 seconds. I thought that was pretyy amazing and one of my favourite ones.

That is hard to believe, as a 800m only lasts about 1'40" or 100 second. Getting 20 % off the world record is like sprinting 8s over 100m, like pole vaulting over 7m30 or like jumping 10m70 far ;)

If you mean Bekele, it might be 20s off a 10km race though, not sure.

The 1988 EC semi-final 2-1 by MvB in the 88th minute.

Hands down!

For me it's the last champions league, the best comeback in the history of the european cup.

Joe Namath Guaranteeing Victory over the Colts...And following through.

Mine would be the Division one play-off in 1998 to get into the english premiership were it finished Charlton 4 - 4 Sunderland after extra time then it went to penalties and charlton won 7-6 on penalties :D

As a Boston Celtics fan, I gotta say Bill Russell winning his 11th Championship ring. Those same Boston Celtics won their 11th ring in only 13 years, winning 8 in a row. A great feat in any sport.

Godwynn said:
As a Boston Celtics fan, I gotta say Bill Russell winning his 11th Championship ring. Those same Boston Celtics won their 11th ring in only 13 years, winning 8 in a row. A great feat in any sport.

I lack the tiniest idea what sport you are refering to.

Boston celtics play basketball, although why they get a ring for winning is beyond me. A medal or oversized trophy is much easier to show off down the pub.

farting bob said:
Boston celtics play basketball, although why they get a ring for winning is beyond me. A medal or oversized trophy is much easier to show off down the pub.
Oversized is the key word

SonicX said:
That is hard to believe, as a 800m only lasts about 1'40" or 100 second. Getting 20 % off the world record is like sprinting 8s over 100m, like pole vaulting over 7m30 or like jumping 10m70 far ;)

If you mean Bekele, it might be 20s off a 10km race though, not sure.

No it was the 800m he sprinted the whole thing basicaly it was insane seriously. You had to see it to beleive it.

I'm sure he was ethiposian. I'm not joking amn I'll look it up and find the exact figures.

Canada winning the gold medal in men's and women's hockey at the Salt Lake Olympics.

Top Bottom